Most torch for the $ ?

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
for someone looking for a fairly small, versitile, and durable torch with a good compromise between throw and spill/flood...

...what would be the most light for the money? let's try to keep it under $70.

simple UI too, please. for strictly outdoors. AAx2 is preferred.

much thanks for helpin' a newbie out. :eek:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
for someone looking for a fairly small, versitile, and durable torch with a good compromise between throw and spill/flood...

Fenix TK20, $48.90 from 4sevens (use "CPF8" discount code when checking out). 2xAA, warm/neutral tint, 2 modes (changed by tightening/loosening head), forward clicky switch so you can just half press to turn on the light in 'momentary' mode and full click to have it constant on.

Its tough as nails too, just do a search for "Fenix TK20" either here or online, youtube has great videos about the TK20.

Merry Christmas and :welcome:

MoreLumens4Me

Newly Enlightened
For an edc light, the quark mini series is great. Unbelievably small and extremely bright. They have both AA and 123 versions, for which ever you prefer. I personally like the 123 because it is brighter and smaller. And they cost around $39! Check out 4sevens.com, they have free shipping and great service and use coupon code "cpf8" Also check out the AAx2 quark both regular and tactical depending on your preferences.:welcome:

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
What battery format? I'll probably be snobbed by certain other members of this forum, but I LOVE my deal extreme AKOray K-106. The flashlight is $14 shipped; it runs on rechargible cells which cost $5 shipped and can be charged with a $12 charger for a total cost of $31 - the most light for your money. It's a small form factor, with a 5 mode UI, and a BLAZINGLY bright high - literally every single person I've shown it too is astounded. It pushes around 200 OTF lummens - by comparison, a Maglight 3 "D" cell is lucky to hit 80. And it's very well built for the money - thick sides, double O rings, flawless anodizing. I HIGHLY recommend it for a 'bang for the buck' light.

Links:
Flashlight: [link removed - DM51]
Batteries: [link removed - DM51]
Charger: [link removed - DM51]

Of course, if you REALLY want a standard alkaline light (AA\AAA), your never going to see near as high of output or runtime for the same size; Lithium Ion batteries simply have far greater storage and discharge capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:

B12

Newly Enlightened
What battery format? I'll probably be snobbed by certain other members of this forum, but I LOVE my deal extreme AKOray K-106.

For the bang for buck I would agree on this. I have edc:d one for few months now at work (engineering workshop supervisor) and spare time activities as well. Excellent finish and operation, super bright for such a small light. Smooth shape without useless mangling teeth or other "tactical" features makes it slide easily in & out of pocket or holster. Working pocket clip and glow in the dark o-rings and switch.

For $14 or double that I doubt you would get anything better.

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
wow, i was considering a quark mini(neutral white) or maratac AA as my EDC, but that deal seems way too good to pass up...! thanks for that!
(i assume that akoray would be noticably brighter than the mini and maratac..?)

i just wish that AKOray had a true-low setting..

**but i went ahead bought that set-up anyways, so thanks for taking time to post the links..very helpful
this will be my first serious light purchase...

What battery format? I'll probably be snobbed by certain other members of this forum, but I LOVE my deal extreme AKOray K-106. The flashlight is $14 shipped; it runs on rechargible cells which cost $5 shipped and can be charged with a $12 charger for a total cost of $31 - the most light for your money. It's a small form factor, with a 5 mode UI, and a BLAZINGLY bright high - literally every single person I've shown it too is astounded. It pushes around 200 OTF lummens - by comparison, a Maglight 3 "D" cell is lucky to hit 80. And it's very well built for the money - thick sides, double O rings, flawless anodizing. I HIGHLY recommend it for a 'bang for the buck' light.

Links:
Flashlight: [link removed - DM51]
Batteries: [link removed - DM51]
Charger: [link removed - DM51]

Of course, if you REALLY want a standard alkaline light (AA\AAA), your never going to see near as high of output or runtime for the same size; Lithium Ion batteries simply have far greater storage and discharge capacity.

Egsise

Banned

Fenix TK20

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
You cant go wrong with the AKOray 106. I had all 3 models and gifted the 106 to a friend.
I edc the 109 or the 103 depending on the situation.
Neither has let me down. Great lights.

Hopefully you get the older style 106 with the 3 mode 0-100% programmable light. I not a fan of the newer 6 mode light that they sometimes ship now.

I do recommend a different charger though. My friend has the one linked above and it broke. I bought a different one the same time and mine is still chugging along.
[link removed - DM51]

Here are some newer 14500s I just ordered for some back ups. I have the other ones linked above and they work fine to.
[link removed - DM51]

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
well my order hasn't went through yet, due to a problem with my credit card.

so why do you prefer the older version over the new?

based on all i've read the older version is colder, and has a bit more throw..while the newer version is warmer, and more spill, a little less focused. would you agree?
is either noticably brighter than the other?

is there any way to be sure of which model(the old, or newer) i am actually ordering, and will receive..or is it pretty much a gamble? i've seen where people think they're ordering the older version, but receive the newer, and vice versa.

Last edited:

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
What made the AKOray line of lights a great light was the ability to make the modes exactly what the user wanted them to be (programable modes).
So for some that doesn't like the strobe and sos modes they could take them off but have the ability to put them back on if needed.
Like on my 109 I have
1st mode - low as possiable
2nd mode - medium
3rd mode - turbo/high as it will go
The new model is just 5 or 6 modes I forget but that makes it just like every other 5 or 6 mode AA/14500 out there.
There really is no way of knowing which light you will recive now.:thumbsdow

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
The new model is just 5 or 6 modes I forget but that makes it just like every other 5 or 6 mode AA/14500 out there.
i was assuming that it was quite a bit brighter than most other single AA lights out there... with a pretty decent beam at that..
how is the k-109 in comparison?

There really is no way of knowing which light you will recive now.:thumbsdow
i noticed that kaidomain has both versions, listed separately.

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
i was assuming that it was quite a bit brighter than most other single AA lights out there... with a pretty decent beam at that..
how is the k-109 in comparison?

i noticed that kaidomain has both versions, listed separately.
Comparison beamshots with Eneloops from here: http://erankavijat.net/foorumi/viewtopic.php?t=1686

As you can see the AKOray K-106 is not brighter than other lights with AA NiMH.
And for outdoor use, well, do you need it to be waterproof?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
MG pli from shiningbeam.com

$70 but you need a battery and charger for a few $$ more.

great light and 5x as bright as the other lights suggested so far.:party:

reflecyion

Newly Enlightened
Comparison beamshots with Eneloops from here: http://erankavijat.net/foorumi/viewtopic.php?t=1686

As you can see the AKOray K-106 is not brighter than other lights with AA NiMH.

well, i meant with a 14500, ofcourse..
and from what i've read the k-106 can handle water no problem..

MG pli from shiningbeam.com

$70 but you need a battery and charger for a few $$ more.

great light and 5x as bright as the other lights suggested so far.:party:
whoa, that's alot of light for the money.
i'll keep it in mind. thanks..

Last edited:

vali

Enlightened
I have an Akoray K-106 too and really like it for EDC, but since the op suggested 2xAA format I think there is better options:

On the cheap side, the Romisen RC-N3. You can get it from shiningbeam in either 2-mode or warm tint (outdoor friendly). Great light for the money.

Fenix TK-20. ROUGH, well-regulated and KISS interface. I think this is the light to recommend to "average Joe" who wants a good light for the money to replace the bigger M@gs ppl are used to.

B12

Newly Enlightened

Akoray has o-rings in every joint + lens so I would be very surprised if it is not waterproof enough for outdoor use. I may not want to dive with it but dropping in a shallow water is no problem (don't ask how I know).

As for different versions on DX, for $14 you are guaranteed to get the non-programmable 5 mode version as advertised.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Do NOT get the trustfire charger. The ultrafire is actually a really good charger for the money, possibly second best 'mainstream' charger behind the $50 Pila. The trustfire is a piece of junk.

The light iteself works much better on 14500s. AAs are not as bright. If you want a 1xAA or 2xAA look elsewhere. But on 14500s, it works great indoors and out - the tint is slightly blue, but really not bad at all. It's by far the best and brightest you will get for the money and size; the Q5 pumps 200+ lummens OTF on fresh batteries.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Here's a closeup showing the double O rings. If you want more pics, just ask :)

(click for full size)