Lenser P14 or Fenix TK11 R2

PaulGrant

Newly Enlightened
This is my first thread on this forum :wave:
I need a new LED Flash and I'm stuck between the P14 and the TK11 R2. The reason why I chose these 2 is because of the availability in New Zealand.

If there are other model suggestions with the same or better performance then please suggest them.

Important factors for me is:
- throw distance, no spill or flood required, more focussed beam
- runtime
- regulation

Factors which are not important:
- types of batteries
- weatherproof
- price

Cheers

fhenixlynx

Newly Enlightened
i have the TK11 R2 and like it most out of all my lights for throw,size and for overall uses.for the lenser i can't say as i do not own one.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If runtime and regulation are important, get the Fenix...

Coast/LED Lenser lights are not regulated, and have to use alkaline batteries, per tha manufacturers spec's, to limit current and voltage to the LED, to prevent frying...
Fenix is also much better quality than Coast/LL, IMHO, for not too much more in expense.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
I have the TK11 R2, and let me just say.. its GREAT :) Found a set of 4 batteries + charger on ebay for just $12 (3.7V CR123) - and it just works GREAT.

harro

Enlightened
PaulGrant, you're looking at two fairly different torches there. The LL P14 is a good general purpose torch that uses AA's, but is unregulated [ as other replies have stated in this thread ]. It also has adjustible optics, which give a wide flood through to a mid'ish spot with artifacts, however, the adjustment is free to move all the time not being lockable! Its a similar size to a 2D Mag. The TK11 is a totally different proposition. It is much smaller with a good spot and some spill beam. Mine regulates well on 1x 18650 2200mah protected cell and gives about 1hr45m runtime on high. Its also fairly rugged, whereas my LL P14 has a quite thin battery tube wall! Different horses for different courses i guess! There are also some other really nice 18650/CR123a torches out there. Consider a DeerelightCL1Hv4NOHS, or a M20 Warrior Olight, both reasonable throwers and comparable costwise.
Cheers, and enjoy your choice.
By the way, there are some really good dealers on the South East Coast of Australia, check em out!

Last edited:

PaulGrant

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I have now stumbled across the Jetbeam III M or ultra. However I see that they use an LED from the Q5 bin, therefore they are unregulated right?

I actually need a light for hunting critters, I need a narrow beam with good throw and long runtime with regulation.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Q5 refers to the LED, in no way do the terms "R2, Q5, R4, R5, Q3-5A" refer to anything but the LED.
The LED's most lights use come from a few manufacturers, namely, Cree (XR/P line), Seoul SemiConductors, Phillips LumiLED's, Osram, etc. These manufacturers produce efficient, varying brightness LED's, for the market. Some produce high output or custom LED's, and some produce other types, such as lower output (250+ lumen) LED's that are extremely efficient, and some excel at producing high CRI (color Rendering Index) LED's.

Jetbeams are regulated, as are most expensive, high-end lights (excepting Coast/LL lights, which are just expensive). Jetbeams lights seem to be very directed to the "thrower" type, although you can purchase OP (orange peel, refers to the texture of the reflector, like the skin of an orange; used to produce wider, cleaner beams of light, but sacrifice some throw) reflectors in some places.

You say you need a light for long distance outdoors illumination... I would suggest looking for a light that offers neutral or warm color temperature LED's. You'll see an appreciable decrease in output, as compared to "cold" white LED's most lights come with standard, but color distinction at long ranges will be easier to distinguish.

You see (here's the short version)...
Humans have adapted to seeing colors on a planet that circles a red star. That's why colors are the best looking under direct sunlight. However, the "white" LED's we use are actually a blue LED, which has a layer of phosphor, which kind of "converts" the blue wavelengths of light, into a white light. However, on a white wall, we are often able to distinguish a bluish tinge to these "cold" white (~6000*kelvin+).
Incandescent lightbulbs are inherently inefficient, because they emit "light" in wavelengths both above and below our receptive ability (infrared and UltraViolet; remember, light is waves of energy which we are able to perceive only a narrow band of).
In contrast, LED's are very efficient, because they only produce "light" in a narrow band. This is good, because we are able to fine tune what kind of wavelengths we want (though with some difficulty), but bad, b/c they don't emit light in all the wavelengths we are able to percieve as light, reducing their ability to render color accurately.
High CRI LED's are produced in such a way(I think), that they produce more red light, enhancing color rendition.

PaulGrant

Newly Enlightened
So in your expert opinion what flash would best suite my needs for:

- narrow beam
- long thrower
- regulated
- long runtime

I am not too fused about batteries, ruggedness and modes.

harro

Enlightened
PaulGrant, maybe consider a Tiablo A10G. With 18650 it will give about 21,000 lux @ 1 meter [ read, a very tight spot ] with not much spill, or a Tiablo A9 with an aspheric lens [ not so much a spot as a square ] with about 40,000 lux @ 1 meter.
No, i'm not an add for Tiablo or anyone else, just that this is from my VERY limited experience.
Being a Kiwi, i assume u r looking for a hunting light?! [ Deer maybe? ].
Cheers again from Northern Victoria.:twothumbs

PaulGrant

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone who replied and somewhat confused me :duh2:

However it got me researching and I have come to the following conclusions regarding a flash that meets the following needs:
- good throw
- good runtime vs overall light output
- uses 2*CR123 and 1*18650 batteries
- 200+ lumens
- narrow beam

Although price was not an issue I kept within $80-$120

I eventually nailed it down to the following models all with smooth reflectors:
- Jetbeam III M R2
- Fenix TK11 R2
- Olight M20 Warrior R2
- Eagletac T20C2 R2

Next I looked at throw and ended up with:
- Olight M20 Warrior R2
- Fenix TK11 R2
- Eagletac T20C2 R2

The next most important issue for me is runtime vs overall light output, based on this I then decided on:
- Eagletac T20C2 R2

NOTE: One thing I am not too sure of is the difference in the UI for Eagletac vs the Olight.

Does anyone disagree with my conclusion?

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you made a good choice. Eagletac did a great job of selecting the levels for this light; I find that I use my lights on 50-60 lumens or 5 lumens most of the time. I rarely need to use the high-gear, but I am glad to know that I can if I choose to.

I don't know much about Eagletac and am interested in hearing what you think about it.