Merry Christmas, New guy with one detailed question!

Hot Metal M

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I had no idea there was such a forum but I'm glad there is. The question is going to be about my specific needs for a flash light and which one can provide them, but before I get into that I'll just give a little background on why I'm looking.

My best friend recently found out he is going to Africa for 5 weeks and in helping him get ready, I found he is borrowing a lot of my things such as range finder, some knives, Monocular NVGS and yes my MAGLite. I'm expecting everything back of course, but I would still like to upgrade my light at this time.

I will be graduating from The University of Pittsburgh in May and then it is off to the military for me. I know what I have in mind as far as career goes in the military and I'm looking for a personal light to keep up with me.

What I would like my light to be able to do is:

-BLACK
-18650 battery compatible
-around 6 inch length, give or take
-IPX-8 Submersible
-Adjustable output settings up to 200-250 Lumens?
-200M range (or better)
-Weapon Mountable (any rail)
-Rugged (very)
-Rechargeable
-acceptable runtime, 2 hrs on most powerful setting?
-Pocket Clip

Those are the main things I was looking for and I'm sure there are more...I have been reading reviews here and have my eye on the Jet-III M, FENIX TA21 and the OLIGHT M20, but the JET isn't black and the OLIGHT doesn't meet IPX-8 standards and I'm not sure the FENIX is mountable.

I guess the main questions is who makes a STRONG tactical light that can take a beating, swim, be used to break glass, be dropped - abused and keep on working as it should? Every time I look I find a new possibility so I imagine there are a few lights I have never even heard of. Since this site if full of experts it's their opinions that I would like to guide my upcoming decision.

Thanks in advance! I won't be collecting lights so my first needs to be my last (unless I become addicted ha-ha) and it needs to be dependable! So what's everyone have to say?

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well hello there and welcome to CPF. If you need advice I live in Pittsburgh, my gf goes to CMU.

Anyway I have learned a lot about flashlights. And have quite the collection. I can show you what you want if you want to get a little hands on experience.

Give the broad range of what you want in a light might not exist.

I suggest you consolidate. Just like LEO and Military, Surefire calls it the "Trinity"

"one is none, two is few, and three is key"

I recommend you get a weaponlight. More than likely a scoutlight with the LU60A kit. Then you can use Malkoff or nailbender dropins for massive lumen output.

Then focus on a main handheld and a small backup.

pm me if you need more advice. I am more familiar with Surefire than the other brands. But I have a Jetbeam Military. if you want to check one out.

sfca

Enlightened
Wait after Christmas.

Eagletac will have XP-G lights (brighter).

Better yet, wait a couple weeks more till Shot Show in January. 4sevens is releasing the XPG and MCE Maelstrom, and I have an inkling Jetbeam will have updates too.

Hot Metal M

Newly Enlightened
Solscud, all that sounds great. I'm off for another 9 days. If you'd like to PM me your info I can get intouch with you this coming week. I'm located near the southside works at Carson and 28th in the southside. Thanks again in advance.

To the other replies, thank you as well. I will took into the suggestions and since I am in no rush (April/May grad date) I'll look into the lights being released soon.

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here and keep the suggestions coming!

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solscud, all that sounds great. I'm off for another 9 days. If you'd like to PM me your info I can get intouch with you this coming week. I'm located near the southside works at Carson and 28th in the southside. Thanks again in advance.

To the other replies, thank you as well. I will took into the suggestions and since I am in no rush (April/May grad date) I'll look into the lights being released soon.

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to be here and keep the suggestions coming!

Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm away for the holidays. I won't be back til Jan 4.

But any night other than Monday I'm free to meetup. I will pm you when I'm back in the burgh.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd get two lights. Two is one and one is none. Good lights also have a breaking point.

Your not getting 200 m usable throw from a small light (well, depending on how you define usable). So you might need a dedicated thrower.

Check out the Jetbeam RRT-1. The Fenix TK series could also be an option. Also check out the Olight M20 and M21.

:welcome: