Looking for input on light selection

waterbed

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to help my Dad decide on a flashlight for EDC and EMS work. At this point he is looking for a fairly compact (<6.5" and not very thick) LED light. The main two we have it narrowed down to are the Fenix PD30 (probably R2 version for the lower cost) and the Eagletac P20C2. Any opinions on these two lights and which would be better?
Also, other lights to consider? Not necessarily commited to 123A's, AA would be nice, but can't be too long.
-Pocket clip that works well
-100 lumen-ish throw or more, crazy brightness isn't huge
-Compact size easy for pocket carry (<6.5" long and narrower <1" or less dia)
-At least a hi and low setting (simpler UI is better)
-LED and durable construction, decent quality and water resistent
-Momentary switch and full click for on
Thanks for any input and advice. I have learned a ton on this forum and own my Fenix tk12 based on research from this site.

batmanacw

Enlightened
I am trying to help my Dad decide on a flashlight for EDC and EMS work. At this point he is looking for a fairly compact (<6.5" and not very thick) LED light. The main two we have it narrowed down to are the Fenix PD30 (probably R2 version for the lower cost) and the Eagletac P20C2. Any opinions on these two lights and which would be better?
Also, other lights to consider? Not necessarily commited to 123A's, AA would be nice, but can't be too long.
-Pocket clip that works well
-100 lumen-ish throw or more, crazy brightness isn't huge
-Compact size easy for pocket carry (<6.5" long and narrower <1" or less dia)
-At least a hi and low setting (simpler UI is better)
-LED and durable construction, decent quality and water resistent
-Momentary switch and full click for on
Thanks for any input and advice. I have learned a ton on this forum and own my Fenix tk12 based on research from this site.

ETA: I love my Fenix P3D. I bet the PD30 is even better. Its a great choice. The LD20 is no slouch. I have one of those as well.

The Quark 2AA or 2-123 lights in their tactical versions have a very simple UI. Tighten the bezel for high. Loosen for low. Both modes are programmable so you can help him pick the brightness levels and leave them set. The program mode is not easy to accidentally activate so no worries there.

The 2AA is thin and compact. Get him some eneloops and a charger and he will be in great shape.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
You say you want momentary forward switch of those two you mentioned only the P20C2 has this the PD30 is a reverse clicky with no momentary on. The PD30 is also smaller and easier to pocket.

You may also want to consider the Quark 123x2 tactical, you can set two modes to whatever output you want and then change between the two set levels with a head twist. The Quark tactical has the momentary forward switch with it is also the same size as the PD30. Good luck

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a 25 year Paramedic, get him a Malkoff MD2 M60LF, with the High-Low switch. He'll need nothing else!

My .02 FWIW YMMV