Imalent        

Thread: Are these for real?

Default Are these for real?

In my search for some suitable LEDs for my outdoor project, i came across some 10mm 1W LEDs.. 10mm 1W? Odd.

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-PCS-10mm-40...item56381a7218

"10mm 40° 1 Watt LED 300mA 380,000mcd" - if my math is right, that translates into 130 lumen. That cant be right..

Can anyone confirm/reject the statement @ ebay?

Default Re: Are these for real?

If true, wow! Not sure how well they're going to work without heatsinks though.

This belongs in the LED forum...

I have not tested those specifically, but I have tested the .5 watt versions.
    1/2 a watt would mean around 160ma. At only 100ma they faded in brightness after only a week. I also tested some low dome versions and after a week at only 100ma, a burn mark formed above the die and the LED had nearly faded out! This package formfactor is not designed to dissapate heat well at such power levels.

Folks, I have tested LEDs from 4 different sellers from 5mm to medium power and I have yet to find anything that wasn't a piece of JUNK.

Super Moderator

Moving to LED...
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic

It is of course bullshit. They are not for real.

1W with no heatsinking will destroy the led in a few hours, not in the 100000 claimed. 1W doesn't sound much, but really any kind of unskinked LED won't perform at anything higher then a few 10 miliamps.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR66 View Post
    This belongs in the LED forum...

I have not tested those specifically, but I have tested the .5 watt versions.
    1/2 a watt would mean around 160ma. At only 100ma they faded in brightness after only a week. I also tested some low dome versions and after a week at only 100ma, a burn mark formed above the die and the LED had nearly faded out! This package formfactor is not designed to dissapate heat well at such power levels.

Folks, I have tested LEDs from 4 different sellers from 5mm to medium power and I have yet to find anything that wasn't a piece of JUNK.
    Yea, thats what i thought Sounded WAY too good to be true.
    Damn chinese scammers!

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    Moving to LED...
    Ah, i looked for this board, but couldnt find it.. must be getting blind Thanks.

Unenlightened

What about intermittent use as a 3rd brake light??

I'm more concerned about the output..... You can always underdrive..