My first Surefire (T1A Titan), am I too critical?

Count

Newly Enlightened
Got my first Surefire for Christmas yesterday, and the first thing I see when I open the box is that the lettering isn't straight. Now it bugs me every time I look at it. It isn't horribly misaligned, but enough that it stands out like a sore thumb to me.

Should I call Surefire and see if they'll replace the part with the lettering, or am I being overly critical? Also, will Surefire replace that part for a minor misalignment of text, especially since the serial number is also on that part?

Titan2.jpg

The misalignment seems more pronounced to me in person than the photo shows :shrug:

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
To me the more annoying part would be the blueberry blue LED that they used in all the Titans I have handled. You would think they would have given the tint more consideration.

I would own one right now if I could get one with a decent LED tint.

Count

Newly Enlightened
To me the more annoying part would be the blueberry blue LED that they used in all the Titans I have handled. You would think they would have given the tint more consideration.

I would own one right now if I could get one with a decent LED tint.

It definitely has a bit of a blue tint, but not objectionably so (to me). The misaligned text probably wouldn't bother me if it were a $50 light. I guess it bothers me so much because it's my one and only Surefire, and it cost so darn much.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
think of it as you have a "rare" one.
look for stamps with a mistake, or coins, those are the ones worth a fortune... you my friend have a collection piece. ENJOY

MY

Enlightened
I have a T1A and it is just about perfect. To spend so much for a light, it should be just about perfect. What is perfect though is debatable. If the lettering bugs you that much, I would send it back for a replacement. A caveat though - if you have a good tint, the lottery may look down on your replacement, and then you may have to get another, and another, and another replacement.

Regards.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
think of it as you have a "rare" one.
look for stamps with a mistake, or coins, those are the ones worth a fortune... you my friend have a collection piece. ENJOY

LOL, making lemonade from lemons.

Minor blemishes on expensive lights are disappointing. But, so long as your T1A is to be used primarily as a lighting tool, I'd worry more about the qualities of the beam and UI, and if you're happy with that, then you're good to go. After either hard use or extended use, it'll most likely be covered with abrasions from drops and bumps. After the first big ding in the light, you'll probably stop noticing the slanted lettering. My 2 cents

Last edited:

Count

Newly Enlightened
if you have a good tint, the lottery may look down on your replacement, and then you may have to get another, and another, and another replacement.

Regards.

I'm with you on that - mine is cool with a hint of blue, but I'm fine with that. I don't want to take a chance on getting what some call "angry blue" ;). That's why I was wondering if Surefire could replace just the part with the lettering, since it also has the serial number. I may call Surefire for an answer on that if noone here answers it.

MKLight

Enlightened
When you call Surefire, they will probably tell you their lights are "tools" and are meant to be used. So, they probably won't help you out. A better suggestion would be to contact the dealer - some will work with you, others will not...

Good luck :) Happy Holidays! :)

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire has been known to replace lights with equally small imperfections.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my first Surefire for Christmas yesterday, and the first thing I see when I open the box is that the lettering isn't straight. Now it bugs me every time I look at it. It isn't horribly misaligned, but enough that it stands out like a sore thumb to me.

Should I call Surefire and see if they'll replace the part with the lettering, or am I being overly critical? Also, will Surefire replace that part for a minor misalignment of text, especially since the serial number is also on that part?

Titan2.jpg

The misalignment seems more pronounced to me in person than the photo shows :shrug:

The most important thing is that it's bothering you.
So, I would contact SF and look for solution ! :popcorn:

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Should I call Surefire and see if they'll replace the part with the lettering, or am I being overly critical? Also, will Surefire replace that part for a minor misalignment of text, especially since the serial number is also on that part?...
If you bought a Rolex watch, and the lettering on the watch face was crooked, that would not please many customers -- despite the watch keeping accurate time.

The T1A crooked lettering doesn't effect the light's illumination, but it's slipshod, low-quality workmanship. Surefire should replace it from pure embarrassment, if nothing else.

It's not like you're using a microscope to examine a tiny flaw invisible to the naked eye. It's grossly obvious.

If it was an adhesive label applied by a middle school child on a science project, it would be OK. It's not.

Count

Newly Enlightened
If you bought a Rolex watch, and the lettering on the watch face was crooked, that would not please many customers -- despite the watch keeping accurate time.

The T1A crooked lettering doesn't effect the light's illumination, but it's slipshod, low-quality workmanship. Surefire should replace it from pure embarrassment, if nothing else.

It's not like you're using a microscope to examine a tiny flaw invisible to the naked eye. It's grossly obvious.

If it was an adhesive label applied by a middle school child on a science project, it would be OK. It's not.

You expressed my sentiment far better than I. Thank you!

When you have sent it back, please let me know so that I can close this trivial thread.

My apologies. I didn't think it was trivial. I'll be more careful about posting in the future. You can close the thread.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Makes me wonder . . . .

Does Quality Assurance inspect this, and say:

"That's just a cosmetic defect -- it won't affect operation of the light".

Or, did Quality Assurance even notice that mis-alignment at all ?

Just curious.

:candle:
_

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive looked quite hard at the photos,

i cant see anything that would bother me?

Fooboy

Enlightened
You expressed my sentiment far better than I. Thank you!

My apologies. I didn't think it was trivial. I'll be more careful about posting in the future. You can close the thread.

Just call SF and tell them it's your first SF and you spent $200+ on it, will they fix it?

If not, enjoy it and don't look back.
If they do, enjoy it and don't look back.

Win win!

strinq

Enlightened

+10

People have complained about poor letterings on much cheaper lights, what more for a $200 light.
You expect better so it's perfectly natural to be picky. Of course there are some who are not but there are a lot like me who think like you do.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
This is a $239 (before tax and shipping) keychain flashight.

Expecting zero cosmetic defects at this level is perfectly reasonable.

Now if we were talking about a $39 Quark I'd say just live with it.