Quark AA2 vs. Fenix LD20

batmanacw

Enlightened
Just thought I would post some thoughts on these two lights. I am terrible at posting beam shots so I just won't bother trying, but some descriptions of the differences might be helpful to folks looking at both lights.

Both the Quark AA2 and the Fenix LD10 are multi mode 2AA lights. Both lights have very good beam quality. Both have two different mode ranges with the bezel tight/loose.

First the Fenix.

I have owned the L2D before and sold it to a friend. One of my biggest gripes about that light was its lack of low when using lithium primaries. The new LD20 was no exception. It has the same issues. Its bad enough that the regulation cannot handle an extra .1 or .2 volts, but its especially bad when the low is really not that low. I carry lithiums in my back pack/laptop case since they don't self discharge

My other gripe about the LD20 is the rougher texture to the reflector. It actually produces light artifacts. Slight fingers of light reaching into the spill.

The LD20 does have a very nice tight spot with good spill. The low is just about perfect for most work so its not a totally bad thing. Its just not as low as I would like for long run time.

The UI is extremely easy to navigate and soft clicking is extremely fast for changing intensity.

They very thoughtfully added a clip to the LD20. Bezel up with the whole head sticking up above the top of the clip.

Fenix also added some nice flats to the bezel to help avoid rolling without the clip.

Now the Quark.

Everything I complained about the Fenix has been fixed on the Quark.

The beam quality is good enough to make a light addict smile.

The low is very, very low. The high is higher than the higher rated Fenix.

The clip is set up for deep pocket, bezel down carry. The clip is much sturdier than the Fenix. Stiffer and springier.

Just threw a set of lithiums in the Quark and sure enough, the low is just as low as ever and perfect.

The quark is not anti roll without the clip, but I will not want to remove it, so it doesn't bother me at all.

In conclusion, the Quark is a better light in nearly every way. The Fenix LD20 is a respectable light. Decent quality with nice features.

The Quark seems to be a very well thought out upgrade to the Fenix. I will have to own more of these lights.

When Quark advertises that they listened to the Flashlightaholics here, they are not just paying lip service. They really listened.

Last edited:

Egsise

Banned
I have the 1xAA models and the only thing I miss in Fenix is the low low.
Quark AAW is now my EDC and Fenix LD10 is at home with my family, I trust that LD10 works when they need it, which is ~12h in a day.
Quark, well, I carry backups.

kts

Enlightened
The preflash on the quarks is a killer for me, Fenix fixed this years ago :shakehead

batmanacw

Enlightened
The preflash on the quarks is a killer for me, Fenix fixed this years ago :shakehead

A very slight preflash does not bother me at all. Its a working tool and not a super ninja stealth tool.

What does matter to me is run time. I carry this light as a survival tool in my travel back pack/laptop pack. I can only carry so many batteries when I travel so I need to make the best possible use of the 10 lithium spares I carry.

The low of the Quark is the major factor in my decision. With the world in the condition its in, I may end up walking home some day...from California, or Texas, or Arizona.

When you look at the totality of the tool and everything it can do for you, a little thing like a slight preflash looses its significance.

Elk Hunter

Newly Enlightened
I too have both lights and for my money, prefer the Quark! If your on the fence about witch light to buy and you want a lower low light output than the fenix offers then the Quark is for you.

njet212

Enlightened
Extra thought's for Fenix VS Quark

I Own Both Lights, the Outstanding Quark ( Quark 123^2 ) and The Respectable Fenix LD20. They're pretty same the good light's out there, except the battery, output and runtime.

The another Quark Pros are on the accessories, warranty and packaging ( maybe this one is not really important point ).

Quark included more accessories than Fenix. And speaking of accessories build quality, IMO the built quality of Quark accessories is much better than the Fenix ( The lanyard and holster ), Quark also included free batteries or battery on their package while Fenix Does not.

For warranty, Quark also offer longer warranty than the Fenix does. Quark warranty is 10 years VS Fenix warranty is 1 year ( you could obtain extra 6 months warranty if you register your Fenix onine ).

Egsise

Banned
In my Quark the preflash doesn't bother, very very small flash.

Actually Fenix warranty is 24+6 months.
4Sevens gave Fenix flashlights a LIFETIME warranty before they introduced their own Flashlights.
Thats when they dropped the Fenix warranty. :shakehead

It just makes me wonder why 4Sevens flashlights only have 10y warranty?

The Quark and Fenix holsters are both ok, but in my use the velcros need to be changed once in a year.
Other accessories, i use Fenix diffuser tips on both.
My son likes the LD10 with traffic wand, a lightsabre that he can't brake!

I never used the alkaline that came with the Quark, i don't want to destroy a 50$ flashlight with 25cent battery that may leak.

vali

Enlightened
When I received my Quark regular 2xAAw I didnt notice the preflash. After reading some comments in the forums then I was able to see it.

For me its not a problem at all. I usually forget that there is that preflash.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I look forward to checking out the quark some time soon! with the fenix, I don't mind the lack of super-low low (I'm not sure if I would like it on the basic UI), overall a great light, but the holster was a significant disappointment. (here's an LD20 review thread with some beam shots: http://tinyurl.com/yb3do7f )

batmanacw, does the fenix fit into the quark holster?

Last edited:

batmanacw

Enlightened
I look forward to checking out the quark some time soon! with the fenix, I don't mind the lack of super-low low (I'm not sure if I would like it on the basic UI), overall a great light, but the holster was a significant disappointment. (here's an LD20 review thread with some beam shots: http://tinyurl.com/yb3do7f )

batmanacw, does the fenix fit into the quark holster?

Yes, easily.

I still appreciate the quality and design of the LD20. Its just that the Quark has some better features that make me happier. They are both great lights.

Elliot

Newly Enlightened
Whats pre-flash?
In a multi-mode flashlight: A very very brief "flash" of one mode prior to going into the mode you've requested.

Note that with lights that require you to pass through three or four modes before you get where you want, the pre-flash may happen more than once. The brief flash might be from a lower mode - where it really won't be noticeable. But, it is most noticeable when in a lower mode and you get a brief brilliant high mode flash.

Its cause is either an electrical design flaw or mechanical or some combination of both.:thinking:

Egsise

Banned
In a multi-mode flashlight: A very very brief "flash" of one mode prior to going into the mode you've requested.

Note that with lights that require you to pass through three or four modes before you get where you want, the pre-flash may happen more than once. The brief flash might be from a lower mode - where it really won't be noticeable. But, it is most noticeable when in a lower mode and you get a brief brilliant high mode flash.

Its cause is either an electrical design flaw or mechanical or some combination of both.:thinking:
Quark preflash is not a design flaw, it is there because it was designed to be there.
If this days technology needs the preflash for low low, what can you do, no low low?
And the Quark low is really low, over 300h runtime with one Eneloop, but it is still useable because you can even read with it.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Quark preflash is not a design flaw, it is there because it was designed to be there.
If this days technology needs the preflash for low low, what can you do, no low low?
And the Quark low is really low, over 300h runtime with one Eneloop, but it is still useable because you can even read with it.[

Wouldn't a bezel ring or tail ring adjustment ring in which mode could be selected with light off prevent the flash?

Torchinator

Newly Enlightened

I actually asked someone at 7777 about this before buying the AA2 R2 regular. The way he explained it to me is that the circuit can't react at the speed of light. Once power is applied it has to have that split second, and it is literally a split second, to adjust to the moonlight setting. Pre-flash was going to be a killer for me too. I'm in the military in a field where having a low that won't mess with your night vision, without the necessity for a red filter, is very important to me. It has never affected my eyesight at night and has always been very usable. I owned the LD20 and I have to admit I kept saying to myself 'what's the big deal?' I felt like I over paid for the performance and materials I received. With the Quark AA2 R2, I felt that I underpaid for what I got. Just my $.02.

nutnless220

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the info fellows. I've been on the fence trying to decide which light to EDC for awhile. The main problem was I'm cheap and didn't have any info on anything besides Surefires. I ordered the Tac version Quark AA2, can't wait for the mail. I really appreciate all the time you guys take to make this info available.