Quark Mini 123 small review.

aarong50

Newly Enlightened
My needs are pretty simple. I want something that can out do a maglite on my keychain :grin2:. A few years ago I came to this site and was recommended a Fenix P1Dce one of the first small lights using the 1st gen cree leds. This light has served me well for 2.5 years on my chain and still works flawless.

Recently I got the bug again and I came back to see what things had changed. I couldn't believe how far things had advanced in such a short period of time. It wasn't long before I found a perfect replacement for my P1D - the Quark Mini 123.

I placed my order on Dec. 23rd and it arrived Dec 26th. How is that for free shipping from 4sevens?

As everyone says this is a wonderful little light. It is a perfect upgrade from my P1Dce - they made it smaller, better looking and with a more appealing finish (knurling.) So far during my un-official tests this light blows away my P1D - but even for its age that old Fenix really holds its own.

I know this isn't in depth review - it doesn't have run-time specs, measurement of voltages etc. I do not understand a lot of that stuff and when it all comes down to it the layman opinions matter the most to me. What mattered to me was size, style and what my eye tells me is the better light.
Here are a few pictures of my new toy I thought I would share. If you are wondering if this is the best small key-chain light you should buy - it is. This is an absolutely fantastic light at a bargain price. Stop researching and just go for it.

1z6v69x.jpg

2zi0oaq.jpg

P.S. After reading some other things here I now have a JETBeam Jet-III M Military R2 in "army green" on the way too.. I guess I got the bug again - god help me.

Last edited:

brianch

Enlightened
Congrats on the light. I also have one on the way, hope I get it soon! I also have the JETIIIM. Its a VERY nice light. You will be happy with it. I love the IBS feature. :twothumbs

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
My needs are pretty simple...Here are a few pictures of my new toy I thought I would share. If you are wondering if this is the best small key-chain light you should buy - it is. This is an absolutely fantastic light at a bargain price. Stop researching and just go for it.

Nice! I too love this little light and the MiNi 123 is my EDC now. I bought 5 others as gifts (!) and have 2 neutral on order...
lovecpflovecpflovecpf

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I think it's great too. I just picked up a MiNi AA, as well. It is quite bright, but on 14500s it is just about as bright as the MiNi123 on high. The only trade off is the runtime, which is about 38 minutes on highv 2 hr 23 minutes on high an NiMH. On medium, which is quite bright too, the runtime is about 3 hr 40 minutes on 14500s. It is amazingly small and light for a AA light too. So, it comes down to whether you prefer smaller and chubbier or longer and slimmer. The other advantage of the MiNiAA is that it can take alkaline and NiMH AA batteries as well as 14500s.

MS3

Newly Enlightened
The ITP A1 would be a great keychain light as well. A1's knurling isn't as grippy as the mini123, but you can still operate it ok with one hand. The attachment point for the keychain ring is in the center of the light, so it hangs more straight down that the mini123.

mini123: XPG-R5, more aggressive knurling, includes neck lanyard, can tail stand, $39 before discounts

ITP A1: XPE-Q5, includes removeable clip and keychain ring, $25 before discounts

I have both. I pocket the mini123 and like that it can tail stand, so it wins for me, but as a keychain light, I think I would go with the ITP A1.

awid

Newly Enlightened
Three questions:

1)Is your P1D Q5?

2)How much brighter is the 123 then the P1D? In terms of spill. hot spot and throw?

3)Do you believe the upgrade was worth it? I too have a P1D and I'm debating whether the 123/A1 is a worthy upgrade.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting!

How is the heat management? That is one of my major concerns.
Also, how floody or throwy would you say the beam is?

get-lit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my P1D Premium Q5 better than my Mini. About the same amount of light with a lot more throw. The P1D also has better threads and doesn't suffer from mode skipping. I'm also not a huge fan of a lot of knurling.

awid

Newly Enlightened
I like my P1D Premium Q5 better than my Mini. About the same amount of light with a lot more throw. The P1D also has better threads and doesn't suffer from mode skipping. I'm also not a huge fan of a lot of knurling.

I don't have the Q5. The Q5 is rated at 180 lumens and the CE is rated at 135.

Which has more throw? Your reply confused me there.

nul

Newly Enlightened
I recent bought one a mini 123 as well. It's a fantastic light for the price. Very bight for sure. I like it better than my nitecore ez123 because it's very easy to operate and switch between modes one handed. While the nitecore is much more difficult.

Also it would be great if the light started in medium mode, then high, then moon light. I find that sometimes trying to get high mode I skip back to low before I hit the setting :)

Anyway, the mini is fantastic for a keychain as you say, it's very small.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The P1D is also quite a bit bigger. I haven't heard anyone else complain about skipping with the quark mini either.

burntoshine

Enlightened
Do you believe the upgrade was worth it? I too have a P1D and I'm debating whether the 123/A1 is a worthy upgrade.

my main problem with the P1D CE and Q5 is the medium and high modes are indiscernible and the low mode isn't low enough. the quark mini 123 completely solves these issues. they are very well spaced in visible brightness and it has a lower low. also, the mini is much easier to operate with one hand than the P1D.

i have the neutral minis and coverted my P1D to neutral, so i can't comment or compare the cool white mini to the P1D. i've heard that the cool white 123 mini with its R5 LED is quite bright.

my neutral white P1D will continue to serve as my light at work. this light has been through a lot and i find it very reliable.

my neutral white mini 123 has become a companion EDC to my neutral Titanium LF2XT. (also, neutral LOD on keyring with mcgizmo nano clip.)

I have been wondering what if any keyring attachment comes with the Mini 123?

it comes with a split ring and a lanyard with a clip. you could just use the split ring and directly connect it to your keyring. or you could cut the lanyard from the clip and use the clip with the split ring perhaps, but i don't like the clip. it's too big and dumb looking IMO. i would recommend getting a clip from lighthound in the flashlight accessories section. it's nice to be able to easily remove the flashlight when you want to.

this is what i use for my keychain light and it's perfect in my opinion. inexpensive, has never come unclipped on accident (lobster claw had come unclipped inadvertently several times), it's very strong and easy to unclip when needed.

miniandP1D.jpg

I must agree with you on the P1D threads.They are silky smooth unlike my MiniAA and 123.:mecry:

Love the knurling on both lights though.:naughty:

aarong50

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for posting!

How is the heat management? That is one of my major concerns.
Also, how floody or throwy would you say the beam is?

It seems to manage heat better than my P1D and its more of a flood light than a thrower.

My older P1D appears to have better throw.

aarong50

Newly Enlightened
Three questions:

1)Is your P1D Q5?

2)How much brighter is the 123 then the P1D? In terms of spill. hot spot and throw?

3)Do you believe the upgrade was worth it? I too have a P1D and I'm debating whether the 123/A1 is a worthy upgrade.

1. No it's the original model about 2 years old.

2. It appears brighter but its marginal.

3. For the size and styling yes - for light output I would say no.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info, I will probably have to buy one of these bad boys!

Phredd

Enlightened
I recent bought one a mini 123 ... it's very easy to operate and switch between modes one handed.

I wonder if mine is defective, because I have problems with one-handed operation. I turn it with my thumb and forefinger and it flashes on, then I turn it more and it switches to medium. It also flashes when I unscrew it to turn it off. Two-handed operation is problem free.

The threads on mine are very loose. If I just turn it until it flashes, I can push on the head to change modes. Are the threads on yours tight?