What is your preferred keychain light form factor?

What is your favorite form factor for a keychain light?

• AA

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • AAA

Votes: 123 56.9%
  • CR123A

Votes: 29 13.4%
  • CR2

Votes: 11 5.1%

Votes: 3 1.4%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Button cell

Votes: 33 15.3%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Enlightened
I have an Orb Raw Al on my key chain. I love the light but hate the unprotected 14250. I just can't bring myself to trust unprotected cells.

So what is your preference? Elaborate if you like.

Enlightened
My preference is the CR2. The primaries are relatively inexpensive if purchased online and the form factor makes for a nice compact light.

Mark

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened
AAA's. For me a keychain light is more based on aesthetics than function, since its going to serve as backup for my edc anyways. I know that most lights using CR123's have more functions and higher output, but they just look too fat and stubby. :laughing: For my needs, a single AAA-based light such as an Arc aaa or fenix e01 has the best proportions and a compromise between usable light and runtime.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer cr123 format for my keychain light since it is usually the only light I carry and want it to have highest brightness/runtime ratio.

I've had AAA, cr2, and cr123 single cell lights on my keychain.

The AAA lights were nice and small but not bright and throwy enough for me.
The cr2 light I had was the Aeon and was great but I really missed the power of the cr123 and the Nautilus I carry is small enough to not be an issue for me.

Most people would think that a cr123 light would be too big for keychain carry and they would be right depending on the light but the Nautilus is probably the second smallest cr123 light next to the new MiNi cr123.

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Maratac AAA on my keychain for the last few months. I really like the length and slim shape of AAA lights. Modern AAA lights can provide good brightness and decent runtime. I use Eneloops in my Maratac, but if you are ok with unprotected cells, a 10440 can provide more than enough brightness for most situations.

Having said that, the new Quark Mini AA and 123 might make me reconsider my keychain light choice.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
1: Drake (preferred but since it is not working:whistle:)
2: mini123 (it has seen keychain duty but usually in coin pocket)

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a NiteCore EZAAw (1xAA) as my keychain light. It's my EDC light as I always keep it in my pocket, on my keys, etc. I have a lobster claw style clip on it so it can go on my keys, a belt loop, etc.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a keychain light, I prefer one that's smallest, toughest but not necessary the brightest. 10180 for me. Currently, Peak Eiger and Wee serve that role.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
42: I share your nervousness about unprotected li-ion cells, but, unfortunately, these days all CR2 li-ion cells are also unprotected. Of course, if you go the route of primaries, that wouldn't be an issue.

I answered AAA in the poll, but the actual answer is: "it depends." I use the iTP 3A, but with 10440s most of the time. For me, the CR123 format is too wide for pants pockets. However, the Quark MiNi123 is pretty darn small. I find the MiNiAA to be almost small enough for a pocket and might start experimenting with it as an EDC. It also takes a protected 14500 and emits almost as much light as the MiNi123 in that format. My Nitecore EZ CR2 is easily pocketable too and emits quite a bit of light on high. I'd love to try the Wee and Raw if Lummi would ever send them to me (8 1/2 mos since my order now). I would, of course, worry about the unprotected batteries, but they are soo small and powerful (so everyone and the specs say).

When using unprotected Li-ions, I recharge frequently and try not to use them for too long a time period.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
right now its the 47 mini AA , prior to that it was the aaa LOD , the P1D was to fat ..the mini AA is just at max length and width threshold for a keychain light for me ,so all in all its perfect so far

Enlightened
42: I share your nervousness about unprotected li-ion cells, but, unfortunately, these days all CR2 li-ion cells are also unprotected. Of course, if you go the route of primaries, that wouldn't be an issue.

I answered AAA in the poll, but the actual answer is: "it depends." I use the iTP 3A, but with 10440s most of the time. For me, the CR123 format is too wide for pants pockets. However, the Quark MiNi123 is pretty darn small. I find the MiNiAA to be almost small enough for a pocket and might start experimenting with it as an EDC. It also takes a protected 14500 and emits almost as much light as the MiNi123 in that format. My Nitecore EZ CR2 is easily pocketable too and emits quite a bit of light on high. I'd love to try the Wee and Raw if Lummi would ever send them to me (8 1/2 mos since my order now). I would, of course, worry about the unprotected batteries, but they are soo small and powerful (so everyone and the specs say).

When using unprotected Li-ions, I recharge frequently and try not to use them for too long a time period.

So you've been waiting for your Orbs too. I ordered two Orb Raw Als (200/20) as Christmas gifts back on 9/1. The latest ETA is late January.

At any rate, I'm sure you'll be happy with your Orbs. I've heard great things about the Wee and currently have a Raw Al on my keychain and the output on low is satisfactory for most uses and the output on high is stunning!

The only thing I don't like about the Raw is the 14250. It's so close in size to the CR2 that all of my CR2 lights have no problem using one.

I've used an L0D, Ion, Photon, EZAA and others, but the Orb is my current favorite. Maybe I'll give my Preon 1 a try.

Anyway, enjoy your Orbs and let's cross our fingers in hope that they arrive in 2010.

Mark

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I can't imagine getting used to anything larger than a AAA light. My keys go into my back pocket and sometimes get sat on. The old Arc seems pretty happy hanging with the keys at this time.

Geoff

HarveyRich

Enlightened
Originally Posted by 42:
So you've been waiting for your Orbs too. I ordered two Orb Raw Als (200/20) as Christmas gifts back on 9/1. The latest ETA is late January

My ETA is early January. However, it has be 8 1/2 months since I ordered. This is crazy, and he has totally incorrect shipping estimates each time I email him. I'm pretty close to the end of my patience, although I figure I've waited this long, what's a couple of more weeks--if indeed it is a couple.

The only thing I don't like about the Raw is the 14250. It's so close in size to the CR2 that all of my CR2 lights have no problem using one.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that the Raw can use CR2 batteries, though, right? They are a bit wider, I think. I'll just have to be careful using the unprotected li-ions. The Wee is so small, I'm afraid I might even have problems twisting it, but we'll see.

YellowLemon

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I've seen some great line-up pics comparing small flashlights on CPF, but usually only the same type eg aaa's, aa's.... does anyone have a pic comparing sizes of all types of "keychain" lights?? eg
EzAA, LiteFlux AAA, 47's Mini AA, Mini 123, CR 2's etc etc
Ta!

MKLight

Enlightened
Originally Posted by 42:

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean that the Raw can use CR2 batteries, though, right? They are a bit wider, I think. I'll just have to be careful using the unprotected li-ions. The Wee is so small, I'm afraid I might even have problems twisting it, but we'll see.

Correct - CR2s will NOT fit into the Raw. They're just a bit too large. Other than that, the Raws are great lights you will all enjoy! :twothumbs

strinq

Enlightened
Only had one so far the Liteflux LF2XT but it's been an awesome couple of months. Hardly feel it there and have used it countless times. With 10440's it's more than enough light for EDC use.

But still, being a lumen monger i would love to get the Mini 123 and see how it fares, both in form and function.