QUICK MODS

LEFTY870

Newly Enlightened
I picked up the M*G (why do people do this??) 3D and AA combo at SAM's CLUB.

I was wanting to know what...
1) What is the best bulb, the brightest, to put in the 3D. It has to be able to be bought at a RADIO SHACK, WAL MART, or HOME DEPOT type store.
2) If I go with the 4C mod, will I need to upgreade the lens?
3) Same thing for the 2AA.

LEFTY /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I was running a M*g Whitestar 3 cell bulb on 4C and liked it a bunch.

Then the bulb flashed. Then a Phillips 3.6V bulb flashed. So now it has a 4.8V bulb, and isn't AS bright.

You might get lucky and have the bulb last. You don't have to worry about the reflector or lense until you get a LOT more power going to a hotter bulb. But I highly recommend Writeright PDA film (for a Palm100 or other B&W screen PDA) to clean up the sometimes terrible M*g beam.

On the 2AA I have heard that Brinkmann Nexstar bulbs are brighter, but it'll never be great until you go LED. The beam just won't ever be too good without doing that.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as consumer-grade bulbs for the Mag 3D, we're pretty much SOL. They just don't make them very bright. I suppose the best would be either Mag's own 3-Cell Xenon star or what I use, RadioShack generic 3.7V Xenon bulb. Pretty bright, not blazing, probably not as bright as a 4-cell push, but better than stock. $1.29

Carley makes a bulb called the 805 that I like. Runs on three alkies, is as bright as a KPR112 on 3x213 but costs $8.00. Too bad I flashed my only one trying the 4-cell push.

For the 2AA, get a BadBoy or MadMax drop-in pill. Nuff said.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Three cell bulbs are usually rated around 3.7V. So the overdrive is reasonably high.

wilkey

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Carley 805 is definately a good choice in the 3-cell. There's some other options here as well...

But the one thing you pretty much have to get for the minimag would be a BadBoy or Madmax module drop-in... This is the one drop-in you won't be disappointed in...

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I like the 2c Mag with 3 123 batts and a Krypton bulb from a 6cell Mag -It seems just about the same brightness as my G2 with p61 -the beam quality is not as good though.
I use the trick of a piece of heater hose split down the side to hold the batteries.
OOps-I suppose this is off topic from the 3d cell thread.