Mag 3 cell bulb in a 4 cell - how long?

zmoz

Enlightened
I jost got a free Garrity steel beam 4AA light in the mail...although the bulb from my 3D Mag fits nicely...and is much brighter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Will it last very long being overdriven like that?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
PlayboyJoeShmoe, you've got the answer on this I think.

Empath

Flashaholic
If you'll run 4 NiMH or NiCD cells, and a 3 cell krypton bulb you'll have an extremely bright light, with a reasonable life. Four alkaline cells will make pretty short work of your three cell lamps.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Empath got that pretty much right.

Although I did get fair life out of a KPR103 on 4AA Alkys before it flashed.

I also got fair life from one driven by 4C Alkys, but it did flash in fairly short order.

Carry some spares, and have fun!

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would recomend using a good 4 cell bulb until you start to notice it getting a little dim, the switch to the 3 cell lamp.

zmoz

Enlightened
I do plan on using NiMh...about how long can I expect from the bulb? Isn't it normally rated at only like 20 hours? So maybe...10 or 15 hours with 4 cells?

Azreal911

Enlightened
you are looking at more probably 5 hrs or so i think. Cause usually 4 nicads gives off close to 5 volts or more when it's full. for a 4.8v bulb it'll take it nicely but 3.6 it's quite a jump. I'm doing that right now to my 4c mag with a 3c bulb with alkys' don't think it'll last long but dang it's bright! i also have a cheapie but nice garrity 6volt lantern with a big hunk of a lantern battery but i'm running a 4.8 .5ah halogen on there and it's very white too. don't try a 3 cell bulb in there cause the voltmeter reads a 6.23 volts on those honkin batteries!

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm doing pretty well so far with 4 AA NiMH's and a Radio Shack 3-cell krypton KPR103 bulb, but I found the Rayovac KPR103's died after only about 20 minutes at most. Your Mag bulb should hold up reasonably well. Let us know how long it lasts.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using a 3D cell Xenon Carley in my 4D Mag for quite awhile. I've had no problems so far but I've only used the Mag intermittently, (maybe 5 minutes at a time). So far, so good.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
Yesterday I used my old Maglite 4D while watching fireworks (Canada Day) to shine people on the other side of a small pond. This light usually sits in the car but I didn't have another one with me at the time so I used it. Damn, I was impressed. All you can see is this amazingly bright pencil beam reaching the other side, I woner what the people there were wondering?

Anyways, I now realize there's new potential in this light. I'm going to go out and get some 3Cell Mag bulbs later, but are there any other choices? What are these Carley's I keep hearing about and where do I get them?

Thanks,
Daniel

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been running a Mag 3 cell krypton bulb in my PT Tec 40 for quite a while. It runs much brighter on rechargeables than it does on alkalines. I estimate that I have run it for at least 4 or 5 hours, and it is still going strong. I have also been running my Mag 3D with 3 cell krypton bulb on 4 alkaline C cells with no ill effect. It has not been run that long, probably about an hour.

zmoz

Enlightened
So far I've had it on for about two hours...so far it's great! I really have to say I LOVE this Garrity steel beam light! (with the 3 cell bulb) It's pretty short, light weight, and has a great beam with a faceted reflector. I even like it better than my Luxeon Mags! Ok...the run time won't come close...but it will be great to keep in my truck.