My last flashlights for 2009 - impression with pictures

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here I want to share my impression of my last flashlights of this year.

Preon 1 and 2.

Great lights with amazing brightness and very useful beams. I ordered one Titanium Black edition and one blue kit.
I find blue to be more nice than black and therefore replaced the black body with the blue and then replaced the black clip of the blue body with the silver of the black body.
This was good because the clicky of the blue Preon is better and more stabile than the clicky of Titanium.
Now I have one Preon 1 blue and one Preon 2 Titanium blue.
The beam of Preon is wide with a very wide hotspot and well suited for close distance illumination. I noticed a clear difference between my two Preons: while Preon2 has a cool tint preon1 has a much warmer greenish tint.

Summary: I like the Preons, these are attractive nice looking lights with a simple UI and a great performance. Not that reliable as common flashlights but that you may not expect either. They are not the lights intended for backpacking or nature walking. But they are good for having in your shirt or suit pocket. When people think Preon2 is a pen you can put it on and demonstrate a brightness comparable to a standard incan Maglite 6D! However, I think the low and mid modes are the most used when they provide enough brightness for short distance illimination and also a long runtime.

Malkoff MD2 and MD4

Ordered MD4 before MD2, and then wanted also MD2 after the good experience with MD4 light. Together with MD2 I added MD3 body and high-low bezel as well.
Now I have 5 different options with the Malkoffs:

I can use MD2 head with MD2 and MD3 body, but not MD4 body to MD2 head; it will exceed the maximum voltage limit of 9V. MD3 body will provide the same brightness as MD2 but with longer runtime.

Then I can use MD4 head with as well MD2, MD3 and MD4 body. The brightness at high is the same with MD3 and MD4 body but drops slightly (around 20%) with MD2 body.
The handling of these Malkoffs is great. The complete lights are in a very high quality performance and the knurling provides a good holding comfortability, this is likely the light with best ever handling I have tried. The clicky works great and the UI is simple.

About the beam this is different than the typhical reflector beam. MD4 provides an extremely wide and even hotspot with a gradually diminishing spill without a sharp beam edge. I read somewhere about a value of 6000lux of the hotspot which doesn't make MD4 to a thrower considering the total output, but at shorter and mid distance it will evenly shine upp everything. A complete building or a yard will at 50m or so be brightly illuminated. I tried it when I went with a friend in his car. For a while he switched off the car lights and I held the MD4 outside the car window. MD4 could really replace the cars lowbeam if it would be necessary! And for a cycle light, WOW!

About the tint my MD4 is significantly warmer than MD2.

MD2 has a similar beam as MD4 with a gradually diminishing spill without a clear edge. But the hotspot is much narrower. The total output is slightly higher than Fenix TK10. MD2 has become my favourite EDC (apart from Fenix LOD in the keychain) because of the simple UI and the compact size which is smaller than Fenix TK10, but still not too small for a stabile hold.

Summary of Malkoff MD2 and MD4: these are great lights and I have hard to find any serious shortcoming with them. I like the practical "no-nonsence" design with perfect knurling.
The beamprofile may belong to the relative; the first impression I find is that it doesn't seem that bright (especially with MD2 compared to TA30/TK10), but you become deceived because of the gradual diminishing. Within the same area as the typhical reflector provides a clearly limited beam, the spill is dimmer, but then the Malkoff illuminates outside where the typhical reflector does not any more illuminates.

Fenix TA30

TA30 is in an extremely reliable performance. It's a "substantial" light, 20cm long, compared to Fenix TK10 with 13,5cm. The hold comfort is good with the knurled body. The clicky is a bit too stiff for to be comfortable, TK10 isn't that stiff.
I like the revolving switch with it's distinct steps. This I find too stiff for one hand operation however, and needs both hands for practical use. The low mode of 9 lumens is great for situations when I don't want to be dazzled, especially for dark adapted eyes and can be used during 4 days and nights continiously. I also like the long runtime with high mode, 3 hours with 225lumens is great. The beam profile is quite similar to the beamprofile of TK10 and with exactly the same diameter. While TK10 has a perfect smooth beam with a quite wide hotspot the TA30 has a slight "Cree-ring" (though much less remarkable than Fenix TK20) and a slightly smaller and more intense hotspot which provides better throw than TK10.

About the brightness modes I have a few comments. I read somewhere that TA30 has a lower maximum output than TK10. This isn't the case for my lights. They are exactly the same bright. And this is with mid mode also. The difference between low and high is very exactly 25times, which well corresponds to the stated values of 9 and 225lumens. The mid mode is 5 times brighter than low and 5 times dimmer than high. Therefore the midmode of TA30 (and low mode of TK10) has to be closer to 45 lumens than the stated 60. Which seems to be supported by the Fenix HP10 headlamp, which 50lm mode is slightly brighter than the 60lm mode of TK10 and TA30.

It's obvious that TA30 is made for very hard missions, and I guess intended for self defense possibility. Holding this light hard in the hand it can be used as a weapon with the aggressive crenelated head. But this is too aggressive for my liking, and I am worry to damage clothes if bringing the light inside a pocket. I am wondering about trying to cut off the tips a bit and polish the edges. What I can see the head isn't even possible to remove from the body, which contributes to the toughness of the light.

Finally I tried to put two AA cells in the light, and it actually works! Two AA has the same length as three CR123 but are thinner so the cells will be a bit loose inside the body. Alkalines worked better than NiMh, who provide a very much lower brightness. The initial brightness with fresh alkalines was approximately around 80lumens but it dropped within an hour or so down to half. Anyway it may be good to now that TA30 works with two alkaline AA-cells during several hours with usable brightness, and this even when starts with high mode. I didn't measured the total runtime, but after has been runned over a night it still shined with the brightness level of low mode.

Summary: good hold, long runtime and reliable performance makes this light perfect for the tough tasks. Not an EDC-light and the head may be too sharp for bringing in a pocket. As mentioned and may be an advantage: works with 2AA cells if needed.

Fenix TK30

The "went on a diet TK40" is my new "king on the throne light", but maybe together with Malkoff MD4 and Maglite/Malkoff P7. Easy to change between two and four CR123 cells.
The UI is quite simple when one has been used to it. The body performance of TK30 is not nearly that reliable as with TA30, TK10 or Malkoff MD. Not bad holding comfortability but the body tube could be thicker and wider. Though the outer body diameter is quite narrow the cells rattle inside the tube. Here I could wish a body like Malkoff MD4, which is in a significantly more reliable performance than TK30. TK30 is nearly 30g lighter than MD4 though it's longer. It could have a much thicker body tube without beeing too heavy.

First when I tried it I could see that this thing is very bright. Using two cells it's nearly twice as bright as TA30, and nearly three times brighter with four cells. The other brightness modes give the same brightness with two cells as with four cells.
TK30 provides a wide and bright beam nearly perfect. The typhical multi-chip LED "X" disappears at a distance longer than a meter and a very slight nearly unnoticable ring around the hotspot can be discerned at a white wall.
Especially in the four cell configuration the beam at high mode strongly impresses compared to TA30. Significantly wider beam diameter (slightly narrower than Maglite beam) but still much brighter spill. The hotspot is wide and well suited for allround purposes. Actually the beam of TK30 is quite similar to the beam of my Maglite 3D with Malkoff P7 dropin when it comes to as well size and brightness, but the textured reflector of TK30 makes it much smoother.

When I compare the tint between my TK30, TK10 and TA30 the TA30 has the coolest tint and TK30 the warmest, actually perceived a bit greenish in comparison.

Summary: could be more reliable and with thicker body tube/larger diameter and better knurled, but otherwise this is a great light with a supreme beamprofile and with a comfortable tint.

I hope my impressions may be of some interest, and apologize for my somewhat faulty english.

Regards and a Happy New Bright Year 2010, Patric

From left: Preon 1 and 2, Malkoff MD2, Malkoff MD3body, Fenix TA30, Malkoff MD4 Wildcat and Fenix TK30:

Malkoff MD3 Wildcat, Fenix TA30 and as a reference Fenix TK10:

Three 2-cell lights: Malkoff MD2, Fenix TK10 and Fenix TK30:

Here is TK10 and TK30-2cell compared to Malkoff MD2 Wildcat:

Front shot of MD2, MD4 Wildcat and TK30:

The size difference between body tubes is significant; TK30 to left and Malkoff MD to right:

And finally a picture of MD2 Wildcat in my hand. Isn't it cute this little 450+ lumens performer?

Last edited:

sigsour

Newly Enlightened
Great write up and some good comparison pictures. I am waiting on my Red Preon kit and I pray I wont be disappointed with it.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
I love the looks of your blue/titanium preon. Might have to copy that for myself soon.