Anyone experience problems with D10/EX10 in cold?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was out riding the 4 wheeler yesterday and the temp was about 20 degrees. I had my D10 sp in my front Carhartt chest pocket with a coat on over top. At one point I needed to use my light and it would not work. Yes I had a newer battery, light was just cleaned and lubed. Anyhow I had to loosen and then tighten the head and click the piston a bunch until the light would work. I experienced this almost every time I tried to use the light after that. When I got the light warmed up it worked properly. So my question is this a common problem with these lights? Does cold affect the operation of these lights in anybody else's experience? Thanks.

Jason

batmanacw

Enlightened
I have not had any issues with this. I am guessing that the switch ring is sticking some. There have been many threads about fixing this issue.

If you lube the outside of the ring it should help. Also, clean off most of the lube on the outside of the piston to make sure its not over lubed. It doesn't require much.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea the lube was not very thick. I keep it nice and thin and I only use E2 lithium's or AW rechargeables unless I'm in an emergency and alkalines are all that is available. Switch ring may be the cause? I will check this out. Thanks! On a side note I was just outside shoveling and plowing and I put my EX10 in my back pocket and tested it after it got cold and it worked fine I also looked at the switch ring on the D10 and it does seem dry and sticky. Thinking maybe this is what was going on.

My guess is that the lube is to thick or it is the battery. For cold weather use an Energizer L91 lithium battery. Alkalines don't do well in cold weather.

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache...attery&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

Last edited:

jslappa

Enlightened
What kind of lube do you use on your D10? Make sure it can handle sub-zero temperatures. Some lubes become thick and gummy in extreme cold.

I use Nano-oil (10) and it works well here in Michigan. The light on my John Deere tractor went out while I was plowing, so I put on my Nitecore headband, and my D10 Q5 on one side, and the D10 R2 on the other. They both worked perfectly. Then I changed my daughter's windshield wipers with it.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nyogel 760G rated for -40 celcius.

What kind of lube do you use on your D10? Make sure it can handle sub-zero temperatures. Some lubes become thick and gummy in extreme cold.

I use Nano-oil (10) and it works well here in Michigan. The light on my John Deere tractor went out while I was plowing, so I put on my Nitecore headband, and my D10 Q5 on one side, and the D10 R2 on the other. They both worked perfectly. Then I changed my daughter's windshield wipers with it.