Best LED upgrade for 2D Maglight

Arnulf

Enlightened
I just put the TerraLUX TLE-6EXB in my 2 maglites and I am very happy with the results.

jcvjcvjcvjcv

Enlightened
P7 on H22A heatsink with 2x AW 18650 and Der Wichtel P7 buck driver

P7 on H22A heatsink with 3x Accupower Ni-Mh C Direct Drive

Last edited:

Mr_Black

Newly Enlightened
I've got a Malkoff P7 with cutoff reflector (from Malkoff) and glass lens (from Lighthound) running off six Eneloops in a 2D to 6AA Battery Holder (from Sandwich Shoppe) in my 2D Mag. It can also run on two 18650's with a PVC adapter. I absolutely love this light.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking to upgrade my 2D maglight and was wondering what the best LED upgrade module is.

I was looking at this one TerraLUX TLE-6EXB TerraLUX MiniStar5 LED upgrade for 2-3 C/D cell Maglites on batterjunction.com for $19.99.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/tle-6exb.html

i got one of those LED upgrades for my old 2 C maglite, and its not much improved, the beam has a very blue tint. the beam is much smoother than an incandesant though.

i read that the 3 cells will produce more output, but i also read that the LED upgrade is a big improvement. and from what ive seen, its not. i put in 2 brand new duracells too.

id say spend alittle more and get something you know will satisfy you.

45 ACP

Newly Enlightened
I just installed the TerraLUX LED upgrade in my 4 D cell Maglight and was very impressed.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Malkoff P7 with cutoff reflector (from Malkoff) and glass lens (from Lighthound) running off six Eneloops in a 2D to 6AA Battery Holder (from Sandwich Shoppe) in my 2D Mag. It can also run on two 18650's with a PVC adapter. I absolutely love this light.

I also have used 6AA to a Malkoff P7 in a 2D. Alkalines will work as well but with lower output. Not really bad with alkalines either: I measured ca 70% of the output of NiMh cells, which means around 450 lumens or so.

If one wants to use two D cells I can recommend this Malkoff XP-G dropin. Ca 200 lumens with a very good throw and of course much better runtime than P7 and smaller batteries. Maglites are the hosts with many options! :rolleyes:

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
The standard Malkoff's are simply top notch and hard to beat. The Malkoff Mag combination is one of my absolute favorites!

fnj

Enlightened
Malkoff is so far ahead of the competition it isn't even funny. He uses an actual working heat sink. Without a heat sink all the others are toast.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Now if Malkoff would come out with an sst based light to replace the P7, I would be very interested (already love my P7 with 2 18500s).

Hef

Newly Enlightened
Target had the "C" size on clearance about a year ago, I bought one and really like it. It is a big improvement over the incandescent bulb, it doesn't compare to my SF light but still not a bad light.

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
I've got an old 2D Mag that has a serial number that does not start with a D. Apparently the Malkoffs won't work in it. Correct? Is there a decent second-best that will fit, or should I just go buy a new light?

Thanks, Gordon

lolzertank

Enlightened
Anybody ever use the Maglight LED Module kit? How does that perform?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Maglite-LED-Upg...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3358c41221

Not very well.

The MagLED module uses an outdated Luxeon III LED. Modern LEDs like the Cree XP-G are approximately four times more efficient Luxeon III.

There's also no heatsinking. Instead of frying the LED outright, the module ramps down the current and brightness with increasing temperature. While this may seem nice, good modules have enough heatsinking so that the LED can actually be used at its full potential.

fnj

Enlightened
I've got an old 2D Mag that has a serial number that does not start with a D. Apparently the Malkoffs won't work in it. Correct? Is there a decent second-best that will fit, or should I just go buy a new light?

Thanks, Gordon

All of them are a HUGE step up from the bulb, UNLESS you want either (1) lots of throw, or (2) long continuous use. They all wilt from the heat in long continuous use, and probably have short lives in such use. OTOH, the cost of the Malkoff mod dwarfs the cost of a new Mag with D serial number, so don't let buying a new Mag slow you down if you go the Malkoff route.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Malkoff Devices recommendations are all great and I don't doubt that they are right on the money as the best Maglite drop in upgrades on the market.

Now just try and actually find one for sale. :shakehead Good luck. You'd be better off hunting for a jackalope!