Which flashlight...WHICH ONE!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
Before I was asking mainly about AA lights. I've had a look at reviews for more flashlights now and I might get me some 18650 or 14500 batteries as it seems torches are a good deal brighter with them.

I've narrowed down the list to two, both with the good reviews basically. This is for a bit of indoor use and a bit of outdoor use(when we're using fireworks or getting to the shed at night) so one with multiple modes is the idea.

These are the finalists...

[link removed - DM51]
[link removed - DM51]

If there's something glaringly better under $20 let me know, but otherwise it's out of those two....WHICH ONE!?!?!

btw...lovecpf

Last edited by a moderator:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
As they both use similar emitters, they will probably be of similar brightness. The G4 will have a considerably longer runtime using 18650 3200 mAh batteries vs. 14550 900 mAh (close to 3.5 times the run time), but the AKOray will be much smaller and somewhat cheaper.

It's up to you, the lights are pretty similar. If you want long run time without having to bother with the batteries, and don't mind the extra size, get the G4. If you don't mind swapping batteries frequently (1/2 hour on high), get the AKOray.\

Edit: Another thing I noticed. The G4 is a 1.0 mAh regulated driver; the AKOray is direct drive. That means the AKOray will start off much brighter (mine draws 1.21 initially) then trail down to .7a draw as the batteries die, getting progressively dimmer. The G4 will hold at 1.0 brightness for most of the battery discharge. I personally prefer regulation, but direct drive has an advantage in that if you charge batteries before they are depleted, you will end up with a significantly brighter light most of the time.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are pretty different lights, you just have to decide what you are looking for, AA's or 18650/cr123.
I've heard good things about the nkoray though.

Ian2381

Enlightened
If you want some versatility, u might wnat to get the NKoray,
Since you can use an AA battery for longer runtime if you dont need twice the brightness it gets on 14500.:welcome:

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
thanks guys, I think I'll get the Nkoray since we always have lots of AA's lying around.

One thing, how are the 14500 batteries at holding charge when not in use, compared to ni-mh AA's?

finally are these a good choice of battery brand and charger?

[links removed - DM51]

Last edited by a moderator:

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the sku.28546, I'd suggest considering sku.16607 instead -- it's ~$5 more, but it's 3-mode fully programmable, so you can set your choice of three brightness levels, and ditch the strobe and SOS. (Or, if you like strobes, program your choice of strobe rate -- no SOS, though.) Also, it has over-discharge protection for Li-ions (which you can turn off if you ever need to run from a NiMH or even KOH cell); not sure if 28546 does or not...

Yeah, the description says they're six mode, but the actual product changed to 3-mode programmable and DX never updated. That's DX for you.:shakehead

As to which of those two, either of the Akorays is a rock-solid 14500 light, and 14500 is enough light for most purposes, easy to carry spares, and can use other readily available batteries.

While I'm generally more of a 18650 fan than anything else, they do suffer from a couple disadvantages -- the only primary solution is 2xCR123, and lights that can handle 2xCR123 without blowing something (as yours can) usually don't hit full brightness, or at least not for long, on an 18650. Also, if you're shopping for a general-duty 18650 light, you'll get more bang for your buck if you pick one that accepts P60/D26 drop-ins -- then you can upgrade/change your light (UV, colors, brighter LEDs or different mode options) easily and cheaply. So, while I have no experience with that one in particular, I'd be surprised if it's the best 18650 light for you, so I'd recommend the Akoray/Nkoray instead.

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
Hmm we have a problem. I've found out the trustfire 14500 batteries may not fit in this Nkoray model, apparently it;s rather narrow and protected 14500 don't fit.... should I just buy un-protected ones of another brand or can someone else point me to a torch which uses 14500 which may be a bit fatter..

Last edited:

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Get the 5 mode. It uses a different binned LED, and is both brighter and whiter. I own both the 5 mode and the protected Trustfires, and they fit no problem.

joeyboy

Newly Enlightened
Get the 5 mode. It uses a different binned LED, and is both brighter and whiter. I own both the 5 mode and the protected Trustfires, and they fit no problem.

that's the $13.99 one right? I just noticed the same comments when I read the $19.13 comments, many said the cheaper is brighter.

Also thanks for that, I couldn't find out if they'd fit but they seem like good batteries, only ones on-site with multiple positive comments.

I think that charger will be ok too? Do you have that one or a different one, I like the fact it says it auto stops when their fully charged, some cheaper ones don't and it's bad haha.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some of the Akoray 106's [ Not Nkoray ] [ Yes I purchased one ] are not so good , while some are very good , a bit hit or miss .

Spend a little more for the 3 mode programmable , you will be glad you did .
I got the Akoray AK-16 [ not sure its still available ] 3 mode programmable , and just love it , so much better than the 106 .

Takes AA , 14500 , CR123A . Good spill and throws well for a small light , and if you just wanted one light , the Akoray 3 mode programmables are the way to go , great value for money . + You can program strobe - beacon etc for one of the modes if you must .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts