Noob question - best flash light for me?

racelance

Newly Enlightened
During Christmas this year we had our lights go out... my wife and I both had our relatives over (0ver 21 people). I went out to get our flash light and noticed the battery was dead. Of course I didn't have batteries for it... luckily my neighbor called me to see if I needed some flash lights (he's way into them). It worked like a charm and really made our Xmas one to remember (in a good way). Nevertheless now I'm looking for a good flash light & wanted to seek opinions on this forum...

I'd be interested in something that gives off a lot of light and has bang for the buck (approx. $100 or so). Any help/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lance

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I am willing to spend $80-$120.

2) Format:

____I want a flashlight.
____I want a lantern. (I'd like one of these as well... LOL)

3) Length:

____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

____I don't care.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
__X__I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__X__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__X__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens) - Doesn't everyone want one of these?!

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|-------------XXX---------Flood/close-up (I prefer more Flood)

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)

8) Switch Type:

____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I want a metal-bodied light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
This subforum is for Forum Administration questions only. You won't get much help with it listed here. Flashlight related questions belong in the appropriate LED, Incan, General, etc subforums.

:welcome:

Burgess

Flashaholic
a Hundred Bucks for a flashlight ? ? ?

Whattaya' Nuts ! ! !

:p

Just kidding . . . .

First, Welcome to CandlePowerForums.

Don't be so eager and anxious to spend all that money.

Do some reading here first.

a LOT of reading.

Good Luck in yer' quest for the Perfect Flashlight.

:candle:
_

Empath

Flashaholic
Moved from Questions/Problems/Suggestions to the General Flashlight Discussion forum.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi and :welcome:

I'd recommend filling out this checklist and either editing post #1 by copying and pasting your answers there.

I'd think that you may not want to go the lithium ion route so perhaps some 2xAA lights with some rechargeable low self discharge (meaning holds their charge for a long time) AA cells like eneloops and a charger might serve your needs well.

You might want to take a look at www.shiningbeam.com for some decent, budget lights like the Romisen RC N3s (come in a few difference configurations).

Feel free to ask for help, you'll be deluged with suggestions.

With your budget of $100, you could get 2-3 lights from shiningbeam and with the remainder get eneloops and a charger, i'd recommend a load for the lights and backup load i.e. 4xAA cells if you getting a 2xAA light, 8 cells for two 2xAA lights and so on.

Lastly, i'd get a tiny 1xAAA light to carry at all times as blackouts arent scheduled are they :D

And, hang on to your wallet, this hobby can get incredibly addictive.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Christmas money burning a hole in the pocket? Do you actually use a torch at any other time than when there's a power blackout? If you don't then why bother to spend a hundred bucks on a single whizz bang torch-afficionado style torch?

For blackouts I'd want two or three long runtime camping style lanterns that you can sit on a table, each in different rooms as well as a couple of small personal 1xaaa torches for finding the way to the dunny etc. All that plus maybe a 2x D cell maglite or similar as the household general purpose torch. Fuel it all with some off the shelf good quality AA alkalines or Lithiums. Even if you do choose to go the rechargeable route I reckon you should have those off shelf alkaline batteries on hand in any case since rechargeables aren't going to be much joy unless you keep em charged and it's a bit problematic if you realise just after the blackout begins that you have forgotten to charge up all the spent batteries...........

On the other hand, if you do have use for torches all the time then go ahead and spend a motza but expect that if you're like me they haven't actually made the torch yet that has each and every feaure you want in one package so you'll need to buy about ten different ones (which will actually help during the blackouts cos it's really no fun trying to share round a single expensive torch amongst all the people who live in a multi person household).

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd also recommend filling out the checklist(same one as posted above). It helps narrow down the huge selection. Also, best is a very subjective word.

With $100, I'd get 2, or maybe even 3 lights. One for your keychain, so you always have one. A larger one for more output/throw when you need that, and the third one, well, up to you.

racelance

Newly Enlightened
Okay - so now I'm thinking a very good lantern & a very good flashlight :)

Thanks for your help!

Lance

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For a good place to start the hobby, I'd recommend the RC-N3 II or RC-N3 II warm white from shiningbeam. Good price, good quality, easy to find batteries, and good output.

6% off coupon at shiningbeam is "CPFuser".

The TK20 is also a great light. Built like a tank, bright, and throws far for a 2 AA light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a good place to start the hobby, I'd recommend the RC-N3 II or RC-N3 II warm white from shiningbeam. Good price, good quality, easy to find batteries, and good output.

6% off coupon at shiningbeam is "CPFuser".

The TK20 is also a great light. Built like a tank, bright, and throws far for a 2 AA light.

+1 on the above. I own both (well, owned as i gave away the RC N3 II) and still retain the warm white (great tint). Get either or both, load them with eneloops and you'll be all set.

racelance

Newly Enlightened
I ended up doing some research and found the "right" flashlight and lantern for me. Here's what I came up with:

1) Coleman LED Quad Lantern
2) Fenix PD30 Cree XP-G R4 LED 265 Lumens

I appreciate everyones help!

Sincerely,

Lance

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd go with an AA powered light since AA batteries are much more common then CR123s.

Also, the lumen rating between companies is not constant. One company might use actual out the front lumen ratings (few companies), another might use at the LED ratings(many companies), others might pull numbers out of the air ( eBay sellers and some cheaper companies).

A 100 lumen light (rated at out the front lumen) can be brighter then a 150 lumen light rated at maximum possible at the LED output.

Last edited:

Latest posts