SST-50 in Mag 2xD (how)

JohnF

Enlightened
I've seen threads for mods, but:

Assume I've got an SST-50 and proper heatsink (brightlumens) along with a 2xD Maglight. If I use 3 alkaline C's in it (which I have in now with a P4), can I direct drive it, without even using a resistor?

If I must use a driver or current limiting resistor, can you steer me in the right direction for options? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, and as long as I use only alkalines, will I blow anything up with a straight direct drive?

John F

Gunner12

Flashaholic
With alkalines, direct drive should be fine (the drive current will make the batteries sag in voltage). Don't quote me on this but it should be fine with rechargeable C cells too.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen threads for mods, but:

Assume I've got an SST-50 and proper heatsink (brightlumens) along with a 2xD Maglight. If I use 3 alkaline C's in it (which I have in now with a P4), can I direct drive it, without even using a resistor?
Yes, but it will be pathetic.
3 NiMH C cells will probably give you less than full drive, but decent enough.
If I must use a driver or current limiting resistor, can you steer me in the right direction for options? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible, and as long as I use only alkalines, will I blow anything up with a straight direct drive?
No, nothing will blow up, the alkalines will sag and deliver too little current.

allburger

Enlightened
With alkalines, this will look no brighter than a luxeon MagLED from 2-3 years ago.

The alkalines can't deliver more than about 1 amp to the LED.

The nice thing is, rechargeables (NiMh, Li-ion) can. The SST-50 can handle a couple amps and will really shine on that.

I recommend getting 3 C cell Nimh's and use a rubber tubing to "shim" the batteries.

You may have to trim up the spring.

THIS WILL BE A NICE LIGHT!!!

JohnF

Enlightened
With alkalines, this will look no brighter than a luxeon MagLED from 2-3 years ago.

The alkalines can't deliver more than about 1 amp to the LED.

The nice thing is, rechargeables (NiMh, Li-ion) can. The SST-50 can handle a couple amps and will really shine on that.

I recommend getting 3 C cell Nimh's and use a rubber tubing to "shim" the batteries.

You may have to trim up the spring.

THIS WILL BE A NICE LIGHT!!!

OK then, 3 C Nimh's it'll be for now. In the future, maybe 3x26550's with a buck driver? Would this be able to provide more current than 3 Nimh straight direct driven?

John F

Latest posts