Streamlight Prop 4AA LED - Luxeon Task Light 3AA

Flash007

Enlightened
Today I received these two lamps. They are great !
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Nothing to say about the 4AA Led. Very good flashlight.
But I don't know about the runtime (they say up to 155 hours, but after how many hours must I change the batteries if I want a good and powerful beam ?

I saw in a post that the luxeon led on the 3AA is sometime white-green.
Mine is white at the center, perfect circle,slightly green next (but a little) and next white-bluish. For me, no problem. It's not the bad green I saw in the post. From far (four meters),I can't see the green corona light.

Maybe I have chance, comparing other people.

The luxeon 3AA lights up better than my Surefire E2E Executive/KL1. But I know the KL1 is regulated, and the 3AA is not.

chumley

Enlightened
Hi Flash007, I also have both Streamlights, and I like them both. My 3AA Luxeon has a white hot spot with a yellow green corona surrounding it. At first the green color was disappointing, but when I use the light outdoors, the green color isn't even noticible.

I used both lights last night in the woods away from city lights. They both could light up trees at least 50 feet away. The 3AA Luxeon had a sharper quality to the light, while the 4AA led had a softer quality, similar to a fluorescent light.

I haven't had either light long enough to determine run times.

justjim

Newly Enlightened
Gentlemen,

I've been looking at the SL Prop 4AA LED as a general purpose flashlight, but was disappointed to see a
review regarding brightness vs. battery life: http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/battery.htm.

This review showed that the SL (7 leds, 4AA) started out at 110 (lumens?), but degraded to 40 lumens
after the 1st 15 minutes. It then stayed in the 30-50 lumen range for the next 2.5 hours. By contrast,
the PT Attitude (3 leds, 4AA) started out at 35 lumens, and stayed between 35-25 for 5 hours. The SL
probably isn't regulated, but from your experience, does it really drop off that quickly? Thanks guys.

-jim

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
I have a 4AA and it doesnt drop that dramatically in 15 minutes. It doesnt reach 50% brightness for about 6-7 hours.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
OH, also Streamlight has modified this light several times. They changed the resistors I believe.

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was curious about the statements of runtime, and I looked it up on Flashlightreviews.com.

This is the graph of the Streamlight 4AA LED.
sl4aaled.gif

It indeed drops to half brilliance somewhere in the 15-20 minute range, but makes quite a recovery, and continues on until about the 5 hour mark.
(Of course, a re-evaluation would be good, due to the comments about realigning the light during the test.)