4th Of July Mod !

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seem to have an affinity for having multiple (undone) projects all going at one time.. Looking through my "trash parts" pile, I notice that I've got 3 junky-assed P1L binned LS/o's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif and enough separate Mag chunks to be get'in on with some Red, White, and Blue - YEAH !!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It's a direct-drive 2D/3C setup...
4th.jpg

Even tho I had less than high hopes for this stuff, it came together better than expected.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4th1.jpg

The busy head, wows the "non-flashaholic" types.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

4th2.jpg

This sucker is actually pretty dang bright! ,but definitely has the dreaded "green corona". I took it to work and showed it off, and without a whiter light to compare against - it actually looked good enough to draw offers. Guess I better unload it (quick & cheap)! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4th4.jpg

As much as I hate having so many "reject" parts, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif it IS kind of fun putting together a "whim project" from time to time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Have great 4th of July Holiday! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
very patriotic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

and a nice mod too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
puke green is still better than poo yellow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanx guys.. Actually, the "green" is NOT all that bad.

On the 2D/3C body, it pulls 860mA between those 3 hungry LS/oz.. SO, I try it on a 4D body!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif NOW we're a talkin'.. It's still on the green side but is now"don't shine it in yer eye" bright AND pulling 2 amps - which is > 650mA per LS, but nuch "whiter" - or should I call it kind of a "snot white"? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously.... this is the MOST fun I've had building ANY mod in quite a while. Why? I had absolutely NO expectations for it what-so-ever. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif It went together from a pile of parts that had all been rejected somewhere along the line, so I never saw any potential for these parts until this mod was born.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beam shots please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
Prettyful. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I like the combination of colors...I've done that on all of my mags as well.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
shiftd said:
Beam shots please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's the head on a "non-patriotic" 4D body.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4th5.jpg

Yep.. she's fat & bloated, but a lookin' ever the more a tool of "persuasion" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4th7.jpg

2D/3C - on left / 4D on right come awn!!

At first glance the beam shotz don't tell the diff..

It's still on the bin 1 side but MUCH more acceptble. (notice the color of where the beam "licks" the carpet)

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Wow Slick, a very skillful mod that exhibits your modbuild talent. You should e-bay it, bet it brings a pretty penny...

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, Slick
that is a lot of improvement already. From greenish white to yellowish white. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Too bad the old junk pile didn't have red white and blue L/Ss left over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Oops maybe not, a little too much beer/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif and I might try red lighting a LEO./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif
Cool tinker fix! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice, even for crappy bins. I love your "surgeon lamp" style lights. Every time I see one I'm tempted to make one. I bet they make nice lights for around the house when the power goes out, Lighting up whole rooms?

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the kind words guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I needed to get a fuse for my DVOM so I could test current flow..

On 3 C cells it pulled 860mA or ~290mA per emitter.. I've never had an "L" bin Vf emitter before, so I decided to hit it with the 4 D cells! Surprise - it pulled a rather nice 2A or ~670mA per emitter. Overdriven, the color was not nearly so objectionable, so I may just have to stick with the larger body in the Black& blue "punisher" look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Now I'll share a little trick that I do.. When I use a UCL lens without the reflector, I need something to keep the lens tight so it can't rattle. If you notice the second photo that I posted, there is a "light blue" band just below the lens... That is a piece of weed eater line that was flush cut on the ends using a razor blade. With the piece of line the perfect length, the ends meet together and push the line out against the wall of the bezel creating a hard "o-ring" of sorts. It work great and is cheap too!