Micro...UFO`s??????

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was sitting out side...side yard...no...did not get abduted....(no sex involvled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )... ok, here is what happened. About ten~12 feet away...over the cap of my baseball hat...I saw a green light...I know you are thinking....but hold on...please...there was a small green light...how bright?...about the same brightness as a electrolumancent...small point of light. Ok, so we know/admit there are no such things as mini-space guy`s (or big)...we are sane (somewhat). But here is what happened...a little green light appeared over my basball hat...(maybe I have forgotten what a firefly looks like)? It did not blink over the entire time it was there...it moved by the peak of my roof and turned around.....went over by a citrus tree growing out of my neighbors yard...about 15 feet away...moved back into my yard...hovered....for about 3 seconds...at around 5~6 feet...dropped to about three feet...around 12 feet away....then with it`s light dimming...settled into the grass. The whole thing lasted around 15 seconds.

I live in Tampa, Florida...I don`t remember ever seeing a bug like this...been stuck here most my life...Is this something from up north?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wierd!

do you live next to any flashaholic neighbors?

it was like a little green ball oflight?

too bad about the no sex part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif (i hear aliens are wild!)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
No...I`m telling you the truth...some sort of bug I have never seen before...at least not in my memory. Looked like Disney`s tinker-bell. If I remember right...fireflys have a yellowish, greenish blinking pattern...this was a little brighter and constant green...no yellow about it... and when it changed directions the light did not change...did not blink...makes me think it must have come from the adomon of the bug...hanging downward...no buzz sound...smooth movement too. Right now there is no wind here. So it would be easy for some bug to have a smooth fly pattern.

Of course, it could be possible...nano-mites...have arived from another world...you will be asimilated.

I`m thinking it might be common to the fire-fly family...just rare this far south? Either way, I really am disapointed about the sex thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
After it landed on the grass, what did you do with it? Did you pick it up and investigate, or did you just leave it alone?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Illuminatingbikr said:
After it landed on the grass, what did you do with it? Did you pick it up and investigate, or did you just leave it alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your not going to believe this...the only light I had on me was my mostly dead Eclipes (around my neck). And frankly, I`m not sure if it mattered...I tried to keep my eye on the spot where it landed but it was difficult as it was some what dark...the only light being a street lamp...on my street...not far away. When I lite the area I could find nothing...I at first was surprised to see it... it moved so slowly and deliberatly...my second thought was a firecracker ember...but after several second af seeing it move around...and it was late there simply was no one setting off anything...no sound at all...other than distant airconditioners....I`ve never seen anything like it...not even on TV.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

any of these look familiar

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Charles Bradshaw said:
Maybe something got into some isotope, or, something evolved a bit (mutation).

[/ QUOTE ]

Who knows...I thought I would post this and somone would chime in with..."ah thats just a abc bug...all around here". I wish I could have found it...but in my grass...well...I`m not even sure how big it was...might have been the size of a ladybug...could have been even smaller...but if it was smaller...well it was bright...not real bright...I would say...if you took a green electolumenesat watch (I know great speeling) it was just as bright...if you cut it into say 4 parts.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
any of these look familiar

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif ? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif ?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif Yea...guess if I was reading this post...I probably would have been even worse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Hell, I don`t know...thats what I saw.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
It could be those orbs I have heard about. Don't know the source or motivation for them. Could also be swamp gas?

Or a glow in the dark soap bubble.

d'mo

Enlightened
What you may have seen is a small Phosphaenus hemipterus glow worm floating on something being blown by the wind. They have been seen from New Mexico to Tenesee and, unlike fireflys, they don't blink.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Could have been a remote control balloon with a green light attached to it. But then again, if it landed in the grass, its owner wouldn't have been far behind, with a flashlight of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
d'mo said:
What you may have seen is a small Phosphaenus hemipterus glow worm floating on something being blown by the wind. They have been seen from New Mexico to Tenesee and, unlike fireflys, they don't blink.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that what I thought...what you said...one of those floating worms. That or maybe a glow fish with a gas problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Ok, this does have my attention...it sounds pretty fancy could it be riding on a milkweed seed thing maybe? Can you tell us more?

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
The LED Museum said:
Could have been a remote control balloon with a green light attached to it. But then again, if it landed in the grass, its owner wouldn't have been far behind, with a flashlight of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How many are you missing Craig?

d'mo

Enlightened
There are several species of glow worm and beetle larvae that are small enough to ride on a milkweed pod. Here's a pic:
vviviani2.jpg

From the limited information I've been able to gather, these little beasties are comparitively rare.

Or maybe something similar to this one, the Lampyris noctiluca.

gw1584tn.jpg

In any case, if you did see a bioluminescent insect, it was cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Well, as some of you know I run at night, and we have LOTS of fireflies up here, especially this time of year. Most of the time they blink but once in a while the stay lit up, about 1/3 the flash brightness and stay that way. I have no idea why, maybe it is a sex thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ? I really don't know. I can say for sure it happens. They also glow consistently if you smash them; hey I was a kid once...