New Surefire prototype pics added

BigD64

Enlightened
I got a peek at an MCE version of the M6. All I can say is wow. 2 light levels with the high being about 500 Surefire lumens. Takes the 8 cell 123 battery pack and should put out 2 hours on high, low looked to be in the 30 lumen range (just a guess) and I have no idea on run times for low. I don't know if this will ever hit the market but if it does I want one.

Last edited:

jonesy

Enlightened
Re: New Surefire prototype

Where did you see it at? Got any pics? If this is real, it sounds like a winner.

jslappa

Enlightened

8 cell holder? Standard now is a 6-cell holder. Hopefully you just goofed here. It would be nice to continue using all the battery carriers we already have available to us

mwaldron

Enlightened

So in other words it's about as bright as the Seraph P7 head, but has a (desperately needed) low mode as well.

Hopefully they do something with CRI to make it interesting.

BigD64

Enlightened

It is 6 batteries, my bad I looked to quick, no Pics yet maybe soon I have to get my hands on it again.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

So in other words it's about as bright as the Seraph P7 head, but has a (desperately needed) low mode as well.

Hopefully they do something with CRI to make it interesting.

You're better off getting the Seraph head and a keychain light for low mode.

This LED M6 should be available by the time PK's great grand-children start designing lights for Surefire. :ironic:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

This LED M6 should be available by the time PK's great grand-children start designing lights for Surefire. :ironic:

:crackup:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs

I did buy the LF seraph head, because i couldnt wait for an M3LT

Monocrom

Flashaholic

:twothumbs

I did buy the LF seraph head, because i couldnt wait for an M3LT

More than one CPFer has bought a JetBeam M1X because they got tired of waiting for Surefire to release the M3LT.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a peek at an MCE version of the M6. All I can say is wow. 2 light levels with the high being about 500 Surefire lumens. Takes the 8 cell 123 battery pack and should put out 2 hours on high, low looked to be in the 30 lumen range (just a guess) and I have no idea on run times for low. I don't know if this will ever hit the market but if it does I want one.

I know what a lumen is. Can you tell me what is a Surefire lumen and how it is different from a regular lumen (or is that proprietary info) ?

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I know what a lumen is. Can you tell me what is a Surefire lumen?

Conservative measurement of output out the front. If Surefire lists a light as having 65 lumens, you know that you'll get, bare minimum, 65 lumens of light out the front. Usually you get a bit more since Surefire tests a large sampling of the same model, and then rates the average output across that wide sampling. This leads to rather conservative output numbers. Some companies also list lumens in terms of real lumens, as out the front. But they use a different standard than Surefire. Many companies still list over-inflated emitter lumens. (Output measured at the emitter itself, before the head is attached. Once the head is in place, output drops down by 1/3 or even as much as 1/2.) Since folks don't use flashlights without the head attached, measuring output at the emitter is retarded. But it's a nice way of pretending that a company's product is better and brighter than it actually is.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Conservative measurement of output out the front. If Surefire lists a light as having 65 lumens, you know that you'll get, bare minimum, 65 lumens of light out the front. Usually you get a bit more since Surefire tests a large sampling of the same model, and then rates the average output across that wide sampling. This leads to rather conservative output numbers. Some companies also list lumens in terms of real lumens, as out the front. But they use a different standard than Surefire. Many companies still list over-inflated emitter lumens. (Output measured at the emitter itself, before the head is attached. Once the head is in place, output drops down by 1/3 or even as much as 1/2.) Since folks don't use flashlights without the head attached, measuring output at the emitter is retarded. But it's a nice way of pretending that a company's product is better and brighter than it actually is.

Now I am even more confused. You mention another type of lumen that I have not heard of, the real lumen. Let me rephrase the question:

1 Surefire lumens = ?? lumens
1 Real lumen = ?? lumens

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Surefire lumens are real lumens. They don't measure output at the emitter.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Surefire lumens are real lumens. They don't measure output at the emitter.

OK, what then is the relationship between emitter lumens and real/Surefire lumens?

1 Surefire/real lumen = ?? emitter lumens.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

OK, what then is the relationship between emitter lumens and real/Surefire lumens?

1 Surefire/real lumen = ?? emitter lumens.

I already explained the difference in a previous post.

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire set the standard for how to measure the lumen output of a flashlight.
Indeed SureFire is already implementing the industry standard it helped to develop. The "Flashlight Basic Performance Standard" (ANSI/NEMA FL 1-2009) introduces definitions and testing methods for flashlight basic performance as well as associated marking.

So in this regard there is no more recognised measure of a lumen from a flashlight than the one SureFire is using.

However, there is output variation from flashlight to flashlight as each individual LED in combination with the individual electronics used to drive it and the individual batteries used to power it, will generate variances that result in the output of each individual flashlight varying from the next.

Whilst SureFire doesn't uses terms like 'minimum' or 'at least' to qualify its lumen ratings, it is general acknowledged that SureFire isn't in the game of being optimistic with it's lumen ratings.

It seems that some other companies do not realise, or perhaps even decide not to take account of, the performance variation and determine to use a rating that only represents the better performing individuals.

The Flashlight Basic Performance Standard has only recently been published and many flashlight companies are either not aware of it, haven't finished undertaking testing to ensure their ratings 'comply' with it, or have decided to deliberately act to ignore it.

Al

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom... you killed me! :crackup::crackup:

And we all know you´re right.