Help me replace my surefire e2 with something better?

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Ok the title kinda covers it. I know very little about flashlights, just enough to partially understand some of the terminology. What i know is that my SF e2 with the led head is a bit outdated, and i would like to replace it. Its sole role is that of a compact tactical light, defensive personal/home security is the name of the game here. here is a list of the things i would like.

-around $100 or less preferably less :sick2:
-A low setting of 5-10 lumens for EDC tasks
-BRIGHT!!! A high of well up over 200, basically as much as i can get out of it for -1.5-2 hours

-No optics! a textured reflector is the cats pajamas to me.
-An intregal comfortable pocket clip
-momentary tailcap switch clicky would be nice but only if reliable
-a decent beam for the role nice bright spot with effective spill
-gadgety functions are okay as long as they dont get in the way of the primary function...like my L2D ce

-AA's or 123a's AA are easy to get but i know you folks here can recommend rechargables in RCR123's

Thats about all i can think of off the top of my head. Ive been looking at the fenix line pretty hard because I have a few of them that i absolutely love for task lights LOD CE L1D and L2D CE (a favorite)If My L2D had a pocket clip and momentary tailcap and a high without that dang strobe right behind it I would be tempted to use it. But the overall output isnt whats out there now.

Anyway im hoping for a fenix but all thier advertizing is so confusing and there is so much out there in an ever changing field that I thought it would be wise to come here for advice.

I sure hope all that made sense:oops: what say ye?

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Well the fenix TA21 is lookin pretty dang cool. So is the nitecore d20 Jeez...so many options so very limited funds these days!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't like mixing lights - a tac light is only a tac light and you shouldn't be using it, in my opinion, for non tac purposes.

I won't waste your time whipping a dead horse into barbecue, but I will suggest the TLS upgrade for the E2E in single mode.

Another option is the TLS E2E conversion w/ 2 stage.

You're looking at $80 roughly, but the TLS has gotten solid performance reviews.

-Trevor

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
What size light are you looking for? The single cell Nitecore Extreme meets your demands, as does the two cell Jetbeam Jet-III Military/LE. Both lights are marketed at tactical flashlights.

https://www.nitecoreusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93&products_id=711
http://www.jetbeam.com.cn/links/pro/jet3m.aspx
http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-extreme-r21.html
http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jemi.html

I'd also recommend the Ra Clicky Tactical. This light will cost a bit more, but you get a fully calibrated, more efficient, made is the USA flashlight. Many companies, like the two I listed above, quote bulb lumens, while Ra Clicky is quoting lumens out the front.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I have the TA21 which I absolutely hated. On photo it looks great but when I received the light... Was I shocked to see that it is almost the length of my Surefire M3! Fenix TA21 is definitely not made for EDC purposes.

The flood is nice but the hotspot is a bit too narrow for my liking. Throw is good but because of the small hotspot it cannot cover a great area. I prefer my Surefire LX2 which does a better job in the throw arena.

Also, I hate the rotary output control. There is no stop to where one may turn and the dial would just cycle round and round, thus repeating the output sequence again and again as you rotate the dial. Because of that you would not know which power setting you are at if you are turning on the light in the dark. Everything about the Fenix TA21 just screams "designed and made in China"! Of course they are but I have seen some China made lights that are better. It just goes to show how thoughtless Fenix could be in the design of this light.

My recommendation would be to get the Quark Tactical 123x2 or AAx2 from 4sevens.com. I love the small size (similar to E2e) and the duo output settings which is still programable for other levels. It is like a custom light which allows you to set the output on both levels to suit your needs. What is more important is that 4sevens customer service rocks. More often than not, I find myself doing business with people who understands good customer service.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the sugestions guys, off to check out some of the ones mentioned now.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
I have stumbled across the Quark tactical 123 x2 im studying it carefully. Looks like a very likely canidate!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have stumbled across the Quark tactical 123 x2 im studying it carefully. Looks like a very likely canidate!
Give it some thought. I bought the limited run with neutral white LED and I love mine. In case you are not aware, neutral white LEDs are LEDs that are made with a warm tint to simulate the colors of regular incandescent lights.

If you need a light that is tough for combat duties or extreme environmental usage, I am not too sure if Quark is up to the job since it was designed to be very small and easily pocketable but I have used mine in camping trips and daily use and so far it has performed flawlessly.

Now I carry either the Quark 123x2 or the Surefire LX2 as my EDC with the Surefire E1B as my backup. I am not an LEO but just another paranoid flashaholic who felt totally naked without a flashlight or two with me.

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
If you need a light that is tough for combat duties or extreme environmental usage, I am not too sure if Quark is up to the job since it was designed to be very small and easily pocketable but I have used mine in camping trips and daily use and so far it has performed flawlessly .

As long as it is waterproof and can stand being dropped a time or two by fumbly fingers it would be ok. Ill not be running it over or getting blown up....hopefully! LOL

Last edited:

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Hell. the more I look around the more stuff I find and the more confusing all the numbers and names and stats are.....AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA....:eek:

Any other suggestions?

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree w/ TMedina, a "tactical" light serves only 1 use and no EDC use. If you really need a "tactical" use light, then you need 2 lights, 1 "tactical" and 1 EDC, IMHO.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
I agree w/ TMedina, a "tactical" light serves only 1 use and no EDC use. If you really need a "tactical" use light, then you need 2 lights, 1 "tactical" and 1 EDC, IMHO.

My .02 FWIW YMMV

Got a LOD ce on the keychain just for that bro. Maybe I shouldve cleared that up in the beginning. SO anyway,.........tactical lights.....help....like that....:D

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
surefire E2E is outdated...help me find something else?

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
Shell out the $$ and go with an RA (HDS Systems) Clicky 170. You'll love it and still be using it 10 years from now...

IMG_5484.jpg

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: surefire E2E is outdated...help me find something else?

I stand by my recommendation in the other thread.

-Trevor

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Shell out the $$ and go with an RA (HDS Systems) Clicky 170. You'll love it and still be using it 10 years from now...

That is a cool lookin light! Im gonna check that out.....it looks similar to the nitecore extreme. very compasct but still 200 or more lumens?

gilly

Enlightened
170 lumens - but that's "out the front". It's very bright and solid as a rock. The user interface is complex for some folks, but I find it nice...

Runsalone

Newly Enlightened
Re: surefire E2E is outdated...help me find something else?

I stand by my recommendation in the other thread.

-Trevor

Either of you guys know what the runtime on that thing is in low? it doesnt say. Also I think I would like a lower low...like 4-10 lumens min. Might be a deal breaker for me. Will keep it in mind though. I wanna get a bunch of ideas and suggestions together and compare and contrast till one emerges that most closely suits my needs. Thanks for the input!

Last edited: