Little project for my Nitecore EZ series lights

batmanacw

Enlightened
I was inspired by a thread in another part of this forum to try to build a flexible magnetic mount for my Nitecore EZ 123 and CR2 lights. I travel for a living so I rarely get time to make little trinkets like this when I am not at home for a vacation.

This design is not perfect. The magnet will pick up 5 lbs, but it will not hold the light from turning when standing straight to one side. Not enough friction between the small 1/2" dia. aluminum, the magnet, and the holding surface. Its not really a big deal.

I can set this light on a steel surface and aim in any way I want at up to a 90 degree angle from vertical. From a vertical surface I can aim the light straight out and down with a slight tilt to one side or another. Limited by friction.

The mount is made of aluminum. The magnet is a 1/4" x 1/4" Neodymium. I used a fiber washer for friction between the two parts so they would still move easily, but not too easily. The threads that screw into the light are just a 1/4-20 set screw tightened into the aluminum. I powder coated it with flat black. The magnet is press fit.

This was just a quick and dirty project to see what I could come up with.

DSCN0896.jpg

DSCN0899.jpg

DSCN0900.jpg

I am not interested in making more of these. These 1 off jobs are way too time consuming for the money. I just thought others might like to see this and copy it. Maybe with a slightly bigger dia. base and a 3/8" neodymium magnet.

Last edited: