Has anyone flown with tac-style flashlights since the Detroit incident??

DigMe

Enlightened
I'm currently in Wisconsin. I had no problem going through security in Waco with my TK30 and Nitecore SR3 in my carry-on on Christmas morning. After this most recent bout of attempted terrorism though I'm wondering If I'll have any problems on my return trip going through security in Milwaukee. Has anyone carried on any similar tac lights over the past couple of days since this incident happened?

brad

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Has anyone flown with tac-style flashlights over the past two days??

Well im in the same boat. I am in Hong Kong for the holiday and leave tmw. I brought a Icon Rogue1 and Jetbeam III/M. I bought a SF 3BL and Icon Modus1 here in HK.

The Jetbeam also has the crenelated porcupine bezel ring. But I leave it off the light and use the stock ring while it is in my luggage. that way the crenelated lens retaining ring, by itself, doesnt look conspicuous.

I dont forsee many issues. its just flashlights.

ypsifly

Enlightened
Re: Has anyone flown with tac-style flashlights over the past two days??

If you plan on passing through Detroit Metro you might have something to worry about. I spoke with a luggage handler last night and he said he's been getting patted down and even had his bagged lunch searched twice already. TSA is confiscating anything that could be even remotely used as a weapon. Lots of cops and feds running around eyeing everyone suspiciously. He said the McNamara Terminal is on virtual lock down.

DM51

Flashaholic
I've changed your thread title. I think the thread is likely to last more than 2 days, and a mention of the context gives a better indication of the reason you posted it.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just highly doubt that any security will see a problem with a flashlight.

I mean, they might want to make sure the only thing on the inside is batteries, but it's just a flashlight.

People make bombs and such out of things like cell phones. It would be hard to abolish everything that could possibly be indirectly made into a bomb.

OR an incendiary device.

gorn

Enlightened
It might help if we stop referring to certain Li-ion cells as "terrorist cells". Somebody is bound to take it as a serious threat to national security.

Never heard of them refered to like that before.

I would say that the TSA people shouldn't have a problem with a flashlight. Just don't sew it into your underwear.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Allowed items from Canada to US flights. I assume this will be similar from other countries to the US.

http://www.timescolonist.com/opinio...ry+luggage+allowed+flights/2386202/story.html
article said:
Carry-on luggage for U.S.-bound flights was reduced to just one piece on Boxing Day, but that was ramped up today to a zero carry-on luggage restriction.

Only personal items will be allowed in aircraft cabins. Those include small purses, laptops and computer bags, cameras and camera cases, musical instruments, coats, care items for infants, special-needs items, crutches, canes, walkers and life-sustaining items such as medication and medical devices.

"These rules will be strictly enforced during this period. There will be no flexibility," says a statement from the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority.

You might get away with an AAA light on your keychain but a stand alone flashlight is NOT on the allowed list.

-----

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...ts_canada_091229/20091229/?hub=TorontoNewHome
article said:
a new rule against carry-on luggage is causing havoc and holdups for many before they even get to the security areas.

U.S. customs agents are playing hardball when it comes to the new rule.

Airline agents in Toronto say travellers with bags and purses deemed too large are being sent back by customs agents and not allowed onto flights to the United States until the bags are checked.

-----

EDIT

A better organized list of what is allowed.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...1228/flights_091228/20091228?hub=TopStoriesV2
article said:
The only items passengers may carry are:

medication or medical devices
small purses
cameras
coats
items for care of infants
laptop computers
crutches, canes, walkers
containers carrying life-sustaining items
a special-needs item
musical instruments
diplomatic or consular bags

-----

It does not matter if the TSA or US Customs agent is smart or anal. The current rules allow for no exceptions. If what you carry is not on the list above, it better be in your checked luggage.

Last edited:

ckc

Newly Enlightened
I just highly doubt that any security will see a problem with a flashlight.

depends on how smart they are.. you could easily make a fake battery "shell" and fill it with explosives.. since the battery is hollow, you could still make it conduct electricity and work the flashlight, making it look like its "normal". all you need is to unwrap and hook up to the battery to detonate.. not to hard to make up something like that..

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on how smart they are.. you could easily make a fake battery "shell" and fill it with explosives.. since the battery is hollow, you could still make it conduct electricity and work the flashlight, making it look like its "normal". all you need is to unwrap and hook up to the battery to detonate.. not to hard to make up something like that..

I hope no one important finds this little tid bit :)

However, maybe how smart they are isn't the right approach. Maybe, how anal are they is the better question.

DigMe

Enlightened
Thanks for the comments. Much of what has been posted does not apply to me. I'm not flying through Detroit and I'm not flying from Canada. I'll be going through security at General Mitchell Airport in Milwaukee and will have a layover in Houston but I won't be leavin the secure area there.

I think I'm going to go ahead and keep my TK30 and SR3 in my carryon. I'm with my wife and kid and it there was no problem on the way here so I'll risk it. Too many stories of stuff getting stolen from checked baggage.

I would say that the TSA people shouldn't have a problem with a flashlight. Just don't sew it into your underwear.

Aww crud...

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
I flew out of SFO with my nitecore sr3 and inova x03 in my carry on. Didn't even get bag searched.

Jvalera

Newly Enlightened
Well the last I heard the TSA are really having a hard time trying
to profile women who might be terrorist's with explosive implants!
I wonder how could they tell?:eek:

Mark620

Enlightened
gee, what will they do next...NO Clothing or anything else allowed inside the airport???

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
Typical reactionary political posturing; and slapping yet more stupid rules upon us. Start profiling the *******s and use the right equipment and take a page out of Israel's book. They know about this stuff and we could learn a lot from them. The Israelis know it's a war; we treat it like an enforcement problem and iy's costing still more lives.

This Nigerian guy and Mjr. Hasan were both talking to the same Imam. The Imam apparently blessed the Nigerian's mission. This whole thing is exposing the weakness in our thinking; we're so afraid of offending people.

I'm with Mark Steyn on this stuff:

"You can congratulate yourself on how impeccably multi-cultural and non-discriminatory you are, but people are going to die because of it. Fourteen people died at Fort Hood because of political correctness." - Steyn

DigMe

Enlightened
Please, guys. You are really derailing this thread. This is meant to be some practical, helpful travel info for myself and others.

brad

What I've heard on the news is that they're changing the rules ad-hoc at every airport on a consistent basis to try and "throw off" the terrorists. There are reports of people not being allowed to listen to mp3 players and having to keep their hands visible and in their lap while on the plane. I guess this means today your flashlight might be allowed and tomorrow it isn't.

You have to ask yourself the question, if the rules change without notice and they tell me I can't take it, am I willing to leave it behind at the security checkpoint? There will be no debate or negotiation because they have the final say. I personally would not chance it because I value my flashlights more than that. But each to his own.

orbspeed1

Newly Enlightened
UK,England,Surrey,On a chair in front of my comput
Most terorist/drug smuglers etc are stopped not because of security at the airport but due to hopefully good intel beforehand, airport security is a last line of defence which usualy works due to experience in what or who to look for and technology ie xray machines etc.
As has previously been said almost anything can be made into a bomb but look normal to the passer by.
Flash lights being no exception.
The two main problems are personal wepons ie knives/sharp pointy things and bombs.
The first is fairly easys to stop the second is it seems proving a little harder which is why they are trying to introduce full body xray.(a whole new can of worms regarding privicy)
At the end of the day its also down to actual threat and percived threat flying is still a whole lot safer than driving.(and who want to give either up unnessarily)
A light should be ok as its no different than carrying a camera unless its got a silly pokey bezel.

ps have you heard the one about:-

There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
— Douglas Adams, 'The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.'

JimCuda

Newly Enlightened
I'm flying through Detroit (albeit domestic only) today with my Fenix LD20. I've been through security twice between today and yesterday (flying standby) here in Providence, RI. No problems going through security with it.