Surefire LX2 Output

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

I'm pretty sure it can, almost every Surefire light has seen some sort of modification at the hands of cpfr's.

You can try contacting Milkyspit, he's known for modding Surefires, so are others but I can't think of their names of the top of my head.

IMHO, the LX2 is near perfect in its output and runtime, raising the current would barely show it to be a little brighter but runtime would suffer significantly.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2. The LX2 is best just the way it is. Increasing the output will barely be noticeable and runtime will suffer dramatically.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check the DIY section and there is a thread on how to take apart the E-series bezels.

Once you take apart the bezel you can most certainly find a tighter hotspot for slightly more throw because Surefire tends to focus it with spot and spill. This is what Milky told me he does for the L1 Cremator builds and how he can focus the TIR optic for a tighter spot or more floody as he leaves the bezel kinda flexible/adjustable for the user to decide.

At 200 lumens it is pretty much perfect:D, but at the expense of runtime Milky can certainly put an XP-G R5:whistle:

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Welcome to the CPF!

Other than cracking the bezel open yourself and playing around I do not think there is much...

lazaris

Newly Enlightened
What about Quark Turbo 123? Anything to gained there with output and throw?

lazaris

Newly Enlightened
I did see that beamshot post which was very good. The Raptor RRT-1 is a little too big for the size I like.
My choice of either the LX2 or the Quark turbo 123'2 was what I was looking for in size. Unless theres another unit with similar size with more output and throw?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
My Turbo Quark 2AA throws less than my Surefire LX2. Your results may vary.
I like both of these light for different reasons. You're good with either purchase. :thumbsup:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did see that beamshot post which was very good. The Raptor RRT-1 is a little too big for the size I like.
My choice of either the LX2 or the Quark turbo 123'2 was what I was looking for in size. Unless theres another unit with similar size with more output and throw?

I wanted 2x123 light in that size (something pocketable) too, and after researching for a while decided on the LX2.

For its small 1 inch diameter head, it can throw pretty well.

I am totally satisfied by the LX2, amazing throw for it's size and geat looks to boot!

But, If you prefer a clickie then get the Surefire E2DL which is actually cheaper.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, I'm pretty confident the Jetbeam RRT-2 will out throw the LX2.
Take a look here and see if the size is right:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237586

Last edited:

lazaris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Sarge :) I wonder if in your case its because its using a AA instead of the 123 power source?

THE day, the RRT-2 looks good as well, but according to the data on that chart am I right in observing that the Eagletac T20C2 throws further and is brighter? Too bad the LX2 and Turbo 123 werent there to compare. Man this gets tougher and tougher.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Sarge :) I wonder if in your case its because its using a AA instead of the 123 power source?

THE day, the RRT-2 looks good as well, but according to the data on that chart am I right in observing that the Eagletac T20C2 throws further and is brighter? Too bad the LX2 and Turbo 123 werent there to compare. Man this gets tougher and tougher.

I think the LX2 has superior throw than even the Quark 2 123 turbo. The TIR Optic Surefire uses is just awesome and the bigger die and small reflectors in the Quarks are not going to out throw it. I have seen them both and the LX2 just rocks.

The only thing I have that offers tons of throw (for the size) is my L1 w/ XP-G R4. It honestly keep up or beats my XP-E P60 drop-ins of similar confirmed 200 plus OTF lumens. You really need to crack that head open and set the beam to a tighter more concentrated hot spot to make it throw. If you don't feel confortable doing this and don't want to wait for Milky then try Debabrica and Nailbender..

Nailbender actually did my L1 and I can tell you the hot spot is almost too bright and it throws :D

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
lazaris, just checked and you are correct the Eagletac t20c2 is a little brighter and throws a little better
nod.gif

bigchelis, does the hotspot get smaller when adjusting the TIR optic for more throw?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I think the LX2 has superior throw than even the Quark 2 123 turbo. The TIR Optic Surefire uses is just awesome and the bigger die and small reflectors in the Quarks are not going to out throw it. I have seen them both and the LX2 just rocks.

The only thing I have that offers tons of throw (for the size) is my L1 w/ XP-G R4. It honestly keep up or beats my XP-E P60 drop-ins of similar confirmed 200 plus OTF lumens. You really need to crack that head open and set the beam to a tighter more concentrated hot spot to make it throw. If you don't feel confortable doing this and don't want to wait for Milky then try Debabrica and Nailbender..

Nailbender actually did my L1 and I can tell you the hot spot is almost too bright and it throws :D

Does the Eagletac T20 outthrow the LX2? The RRT-1?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the Eagletac T20 outthrow the LX2? The RRT-1?

I don't have or seen the Eagletac T20, but if the reflector is 30~36mm with an R2 or XP-E I can see it out throw the LX2.

My L1 and E1b bezel can be screwed in to provide more of an intense hotspot or less spot with more spill. This is common with all Cremator Milky L1 builds, but the Milky variants use a Q5 or R2. Mine have an XP-G R4, but Milky is working on my R2 version now.

My goal is to have a shoot out for throw and OTF lumens with the following:
  • Milky L1 R2 direct drive
  • Nailbender L1 XP-G R4 direct drive
  • E1b w/1.4A driver put together by Kramer5150
I already have the OTF numbers for the E1b and Nailbender L1 XP-G, but I need Milky to finish the R2 for MrGmans IS test.:D Plus, I want to compare the throw, spill, and general beam pattern on these.

You should really crack that bezel open and see for yourself if the extra tight spot (in theory more throw) is worth the spill you will loose. I have found that I like the wider spot with more generous spill more. It even appears brighter this way too. So, before you have your LX2 modified play around with the Tir Optic and see how you like it.

Regards,
bigC

lazaris

Newly Enlightened

So does the L1 out throw the LX2 after the modification?
Is it hard to adjust the optic in the LX2? Thanks for the reply.