Free Up Those Frustrated Lumens

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I decided to do a teardown cleanup of my Lambda Illuminator Adrenalin Pro 2AA LED light last night. Part of my torch maintenance routine is contact and switch cleaning. I took apart the tailcap clickie switch, removed all the metal parts and set about cleaning with 90% IPA and then deoxing and protecting with Deoxit D100L connector and contact treatment from Caig Laboratories. This is a red liquid that "Improves conductivity, cleans, deoxidizes, seals & protects electrical connection." Swab on a little with a Q-tip and wipe off the excess. Reinstall tailcap innards, screw back on and click. Wow!!!!!

The light is clearly, visibly brighter. Not believing the effect, I pointed it right at my eyes and clicked...Aaaiiiieeeee!! Spots! My LI-AP has never been this bright. Whereas before the cleaning, I would occasionally look down the barrel and click it on just for fun, I could not even look at it momentarily now. Yeah, I'm strange. Before, it was very bright but I could stare at it for a few seconds but now the light is almost painful to look into, I have to turn away immediately.

Lesson learned: take the time to occasionally tear down and clean the switch and contacts in your lights. Even if the switch and associated bits are supposed to be self wiping/cleaning, oxidation occurs and can drastically increase the resistance, dropping your volts(?) and dimming your light. This is especially critical if the assembly, such as the Brinkmann clickie, has several small parts and one very thin copper piece which is probably high resistance to begin with. I imagine the effect is dramatic with LEDs because of their low power consumption. Three alkaline Ds have much more juice to push.

For heavily tarnished copper bits and the like, I use metal polish followed by Deoxit. I think I might have to take apart my Mag switched since their internals are just chock full of thin metal bits.

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear, I had floating spots for a few minutes afterwards. The sad thing is, I didn't believe what I saw so I flashed myself in the eyes again. Aaaiiieeee!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...I'm a dumbass.

Wilkey

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, where do you get Deoxit D100L connector and contact treatment from Caig Laboratories? Only from their website?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
My lab ordered a case some time ago. I guess I must have brought a small bottle home for some weekend work and it never made it back to the lab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif

I'm sure you can find their stuff at various supply houses. If I were to buy some today, I'd probably pick up one of the Caig Survival Kits.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolkey,

Which of their survival kits do you think would be best for flashaholic folks like us?

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

I think the Computer Survival kit or Technician Survival Kit would be pretty useful. Seems like the Deoxit-PreserveIt-ProGold progression is desirable. And at $36, pretty reasonable.

PreserveIt and/or Deoxit for primary cleanup and prep
ProGold for plated contacts

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

Okay, thanks. I notice that these two kits have the same components, but different labels. Clever marketing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul