Tactical Tape Switch for Custom Torch Project

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know SF uses tape switches for momentary contacting on their weapons light systems. I've been thinking about this for a custom body to move the switch outside of the body to shorten the length. What do you guys think? It's rated for 28V DC so that should be plenty for even an MR16-class mod.

Tape Switch

Wilkey

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mr. Lens,

I haven't quite got the hang of this link posting business.

Wilkey

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

I notice that the maximum current is 2 amps. This would limit power output in some lower voltage implementations. (For comparison, note that SF HOLAs run at about 2.5 amps.) The power limitation due to the switch would be:
<ul type="square">[*]P.max = 2 * V
[/list]
If using 123s, the voltage of a fresh cell putting out 2 amps is 2.35 volts. The max power could be expressed as:
<ul type="square">[*]P.max = 4.7 * #cells (123s)
[/list]
Paul

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey,

I think it's only mini-crap. I'll bet that if the switch is run at 3 or 4 amps, the durability would drop from 3,000,000 cycles to no worse than 500,000 cycles, especially with the voltage being way under the rated 28 volts.

Even if it lasts only 100,000 cycles, turning it on and off 30 times per day every day would give it a life time of 9 years. That's pretty decent. I wonder if the company would have derating information.

What kind of power pack (what voltage and current) are you thinking about? I'm aware that you want to use a small host. I think I recall your mentioning a Mag 3D with 12 NiMHs?

Paul

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 100,000 cycles? I don't think that'll work. I was shooting for 200 times per day for 15 years. Oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Seriously, that's good news.

I am thinking about 9 x 1/2D, so that would mean a battery stack length equivalent to about 13.5", I think. I want to provide 10.8V free, at least 9V under a 3.5A load. I am also considering a high current 1/2 sub-C to provide a little more compactness (9.5") at the expense of some runtime. I am going to have to look at the Mag D or C bodies but I am more interested in a hand-built body. I've been researching options and I'm pretty sure I've got one that is very novel.

Wilkey

PS. Remember that thread I asked you to watch out for? Well it's coming tonight and it's a good one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif