Adjustable Bed Recommendation

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
My dad is 92 years old and recently hurt his back, which makes him difficult to get off bed. I am looking for a quality adjustable bed that can be adjusted via remote control (either wired or wireless). Simmons seems to be a quality brand but the bed is too far off the ground (my dad is only 5' 4'' tall). Any recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Perhaps build a platform. Make it large enough so he's not scared or in jeopardy of falling when he gets in or out of bed. Be easy and cheap to build. Some 2x4's and 5/8" plywood. I would make it run 2/3 (about 4') the length of the bed, 10" tall and 3' wide. (6) 8' 2x4's and 1/2 a sheet of plywood would do it. Total cost less than $30. Get fancy and put rails on either end for another $15 in wood and hardware. This thing won't be pretty but I believe it will work if you can't find a lower bed.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most hospital/nursing home beds go down pretty far. You know...I worked at Tampa General for 7 year...but I never payed to much attention to who made the beds. Is it possible Medicare/Medicaid would pay for it. They did with my aunt. Have your father quit claim/sell any property (house, car ect (don`t worry about his TV, for example) he has to you/brother/sisters now...if he has not already done so. Then apply on his behalf. Expensese could run up big time. If not an option...call around asking for used power beds (trash the matteres). There a ton down here in Florida...might be a bunch where you are too.

springnr

Enlightened
I have not had any problems with this bed. If you get a foam/latex mattress they will build the top layers to match your weight/firmness so be sure and talk to them about it.

Click on Independence Day adjustable Sale:
Adjustible Bed