Video: Fenix PD30 R4 vs PD30 R2

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am putting this in its own thread because many people might not find it in the obscure position in another thread. This way it is easier for people to find a video demo'ing and comparing the two lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBtD6Viijsg

I took one part indoors so you can see it and hear a little about it, then 2 different outdoor parts so you can see the differences in the beam.

EDIT:... :takeit:
I added another but short video from a longer distance back, so you can see how the beam of the R4 interacts with the floor more than the R2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxOF9hV1lc

Thanks

Last edited:

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great video, I don't have an xpg light yet so this video was really helpful in showing the differences in the beam profile in real world beamshots.

Do they basically have the same size/shape reflector, regardless of texture?

BTW, thanks for getting
raincloud.gif
for the team!

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes same size reflector it seems and same texture. I think this beam profile is because of the smaller led I think what Rob from TPS told me.. don't quote me on that but I think that's what he said. I am not very clear about all that technical light stuff.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting that it's the same reflector.

From the last outdoor beamshots I prefer the wide spot of the R4 which gives a smooth transition of light from hotspot to spill.

Thanks!

Greg G

Enlightened
Thanks for the direct comparison! They are both good, I would be happy with either, but the R4 is hands down better.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
thanks for bearing the cold wet weather. Very helpful video. I have been wondering if I should replace my R2. I use it for work. Up close kind of use. I think the R4 will be better.
Thanks again.

slayergut

Newly Enlightened
R2 for me.I live in Singapore where its mostly urban areas and there is almost always a bit of ambient light around.the R2 would be give me a better concentrated beam spot which would be more effective.Anyway thanks for the video.good job there :D

HighLumens

Enlightened
Thanks for this comparison :thumbsup:, I'm interested in the difference between XP-G and XP-E since I have just purchased a Preon.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the cpf motto is "buy both" :D However i think the video is good for people who just want one of them and are not sure. I really like both of them. However since the R4 opens up a nicer amount of area up for me to see, it is the best choice at the moment.

I think fenix should make a comment about the beam profiles on the info so people before they buy know what to expect. All i knew was it was 145m for the R2 and 115m for the R4, like I am supposed to know that means the beam is going to be wider... They should boast about that "feature" so people may have another reason to buy it, or that just plain old people are happy with the purchase.

Anyway, my video attempts to rectify that. :candle:

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know if they come out with an R5 version how the beam profile might look like? Tight/Flood etc? I don't know how close the R4 and R5 are, even the stats I have no clue about.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the reflector is the same then the beam of the R5 will be the same as the R4 since they are both xp-g's.

the R4 is rated 130 lumens @350mA
the R5 is rated 139 lumens @350mA

Not much of a difference there.

XP-G datasheet

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see. Could they just alter the amount of current the turbo mode uses to get 1 hour of even brighter lumens? I don't know about you guys but I would rather sacrifice 30 mins of turbo runtime for 60 mins of peak brightness.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I added another but short video from a longer distance back, so you can see how the beam of the R4 interacts with the floor more than the R2. Much better for walking/navigation etc. Probably a good idea for bikers too since you get a better picture of your surroundings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klxOF9hV1lc

Edited original post to include this new video link.

THE_dAY

Flashlight Enthusiast
That R4 is looking more and more impressive as it seems to throw almost as well as the R2 with obviously much more spill.

I really wish Fenix would add natural HAIII similar to Jetbeam to their lineup, that would probably push me over the edge in getting one.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
That R4 is looking more and more impressive as it seems to throw almost as well as the R2 with obviously much more spill.

I really wish Fenix would add natural HAIII similar to Jetbeam to their lineup, that would probably push me over the edge in getting one.

Well the R2 does throw further that is certain. However the R4 can still throw far, and enough so that I like it better than the R2 because I can see a better area but still being able to see at distance.

With the R2 I can clearly see to 100m but with the R4 I would say the maximum effective distance is about 80m.

This figure also works out since the rated beam length of the R4 is 79.31% of the beam length of the R2, and my guestimation of effective distance for the R4 works out at being 80% of the my effective distance for the R2.

COAST

Enlightened
Any more news about the Fenix PD30 R4? Owners opinions needed too :D

Im planning on getting the PD30 R4 for my birthday at the end of march. Any opinions about this light would be appreciated. Thanks :rock:

DM51

Flashaholic
Re: Any more news about the Fenix PD30 R4? Owners opinions needed too :D

Im planning on getting the PD30 R4 for my birthday at the end of march. Any opinions about this light would be appreciated.
There are numerous threads about the PD30 R2 and R4. I'll merge yours with one of them.

Raymond33

Newly Enlightened
The R4 is getting very hard to find. Onlyone is listed on E-BAy, and the bidding is $92 a whole day before the auction end.

4sevens is out, as is lighthound and Amazon. Any suggestions?

edit: as of today, they are back at Amazon for $63. gl

Last edited by a moderator: