newbie looking for a 1xAA light

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
Pretty new to the flashlight world here. I'm looking for a 1xAA flashlight in the <$50 range. I like the idea of a "tactical light" that can be used in a self defense situation, but thats not super important. I would really like the light to have a pocket clip, as I would potentially use it for EDC.

Also, I hear a lot about 14500 rechargeable cells-- are they necessary, are they a huge improvement over standard AA's like Duracells, and what type/brand are best and where should I buy them.

Ive heard about Fenix, Akoray ($20 budget flashlights), Nitecore (the D10 with a clip is really pushing it pricewise however), and Solarforce (all the customization is confusing me though)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a 1xAA flashlight

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

_X__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
_X__I can spend $15-30.
_X__I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__X_I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

____I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
_X_2-4 inches. (Pocket carry) (4-5 inches, potentially for SD)
___4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

__X_I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

__X_I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
__maybe_I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

____I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__X_I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
__X_I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__X_I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__X_60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
__X_240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
___Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
__X_Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
____Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

____I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
__X_I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
_X__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
__X_I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X_I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

____I don't care.
_X__I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
__X_Waterproof – how deep: _a few feet, not hugely important_
__X_Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
____Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
____Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
____Wrist/Neck Lanyard
_X_Kobuton/self defense features (desired, but not that important)
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like 4-7's quark light might fit your needs. Some others that I like are the 4-7's miniAA, Nitecore D10, and Photon Proton.

Fenix lights are good lights as well.

BTW, I saw your username and thought it was pretty cool. I have a mint Ibanez Artist. It's probably a 1976 with all the goodies - abalony inlays around body and in neck. It was their top of the line model in its day. Something that I have hung on to for several years.

Dioni

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Looking for a 1xAA flashlight

There are many 1xAA lights ie Nitecore, Quarks, Eagletac, Fenix.

I like so much of my Nitecore D10 GDP.
I also indicate a Quark or Eagletac and maybe some Fenix.

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened

The 3 main contenders that almost everyone will suggest will be the fenix ld10, quark AA, and the nitecore d10. Out of the 3, the quark probably has the biggest following. It has an r5 cree emitter, compatability with other bodies, and the ability to take 14500 li-ion rechargables. The biggest problem is they have preflash, which the fenix doesnt have.

Last edited:

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened

And.. :welcome: for all! :)

thanks!

5370H55V: I've heard that the Quarks arent as well made as the Fenix's... is there any truth in that? Do you have experience with those two lights?

And another question- Should I also be looking at getting some rechargable 14500 cells and a charger? or will standard AA's work fine?

Roberts30

Enlightened

:thumbsup:After reading your prefrences, you almost exactly described a Nitecore D10.. These lights are truly awesome for their size!

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dunno how that all fits the stated budget, but if you feel like a bargain-hunt, or want a cheaper backup light, the Brinkmann 1xAA got a pretty good review.

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened

:thumbsup:After reading your prefrences, you almost exactly described a Nitecore D10.. These lights are truly awesome for their size!

ive looked at the nitecore, but the thing that bothers me is that it doesnt come with a clip, with a clip its pushing $60 before shipping which is a bit much for me. I can get an ld10 for $45 with $5 shipping

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened

I dunno how that all fits the stated budget, but if you feel like a bargain-hunt, or want a cheaper backup light, the Brinkmann 1xAA got a pretty good review.

is that any better than the Akoray k-106?

vidaloka102000

Newly Enlightened

thanks!

5370H55V: I've heard that the Quarks arent as well made as the Fenix's... is there any truth in that? Do you have experience with those two lights?

And another question- Should I also be looking at getting some rechargable 14500 cells and a charger? or will standard AA's work fine?

:thumbsup:I have a QUARK AA, and use it only with AA batteries, and brightness is impressive.

5370H55V

Newly Enlightened

thanks!

Unfortunately I don't have a ld10 to compare against, but the quark's construction is solid and should hold up fine to normal use. Maybe the fenix is built better, but the quark certainly isnt lacking. :D

Both work with standard AA's, although I would suggest getting some good rechargables if you're using the light often. I use eneloops, but the quark accepts 14500s if you decide to run that.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim

Given the price an Olight T15 is nice and can be found around 40 bucks. I like mine. I have seen iTP C7s for under 30 bucks on sale and betting these are good. The rest are near the upper end of your price range.

ibanezplayer470

Newly Enlightened

Some of these lights look pretty cool, but I would prefer something with a clip. Well, at least I think I do. How do you all carry clipless lights? just in the bottom of your pocket?

TRITON

Newly Enlightened

:) Hello, How about looking at the ITP A2 eos. Just got mine on 24-12-2009. Low,medium,high, 4,18,80 lumens. 76mm long with good pocket clip,sorry I dont have a camera so cant do beam shots but I can tell you its really great. Nice white beam,fairly tight spot with good spill and its plenty bright on high.Twisty switch. Thanks to Battery junction $24.95US,also got A1 eos [123a] and IlluminaTi R5. All great torches,dont know about run time yet, useing aa alkaline primarys and have used it a fair bit already and its going strong still. Just my 2c worth. :wave: