Questions about the Olight M20

kg4cro

Newly Enlightened
Hello --
First let me thank the regular contributors to this forum. I have learned so much and gotten great advive from the posts I have searched.
I am ready to buy my first tactical LED flashlight. I have $100 to spend, and that needs to include everything. I think I have narrowed it down to the Olight M20 Warrior. Almost everything I read about this light is positive - everyone seems to like it alot. It seems that most people think it a good balance between spill and throw, which will be good because I can only buy one light. I like the fact that it can mount to my weapon if need be.
It also seems that there is not enough difference between the M20 and the M21 to warrant the extra cash. However, I do have a few questions. I have found the M21 holiday bundle on sale at Olights.com for 99.95, with a 20% discount code that brings it to around $80. Does anyone have experience with this retailer...are they reliable?
Secondly, I have researched battery options. It seems that folks are pretty happy with the AW 18650 batteries, but where do you buy them? Who has the best deal? Also, if I cannot afford them, what would be a budget alternative that is still decent? Are the trustfire batteries and chargers from DX a good alternative?
Thanks for any and all advice you can give me. I really appreciate it.

bigbas101

Newly Enlightened
Hey man, welcome! I have the M20 and it is an amazing light for the size. I get my AW batterys from Lighthound, he has excellent customer service and FAST shipping...2 days from the date of my order to my door. Im not sure about olights.com but that is a great deal!

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have an olight m20 and very satisfied with it. another light you might consider that is in the similar price range, and size is the jetbeam RRT-2. it throws alittle better than the olight.

another thing, when buying li-ion cells, get the "protected" cells.
i would go with the AW brand 18650. ive encountered problems with cheaper protected batteries before. end up buying more batteries, spending just as much, plus more headache.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
M20 is great - I didn't want to sacrifice throw so I skipped the M21. You only get flat regulation on the M20 with 2 16340's, but you can use an 18650 with diminishing output. The M21 will regulate both.

You can buy AW cells from the marketplace, but I find it easier to purchase from lighthound instead.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Hello --
I have found the M21 holiday bundle on sale at Olights.com for 99.95, with a 20% discount code that brings it to around $80.

The Holiday bundle is for the M20 not M21. I have it and I'm pretty happy with the lights. $80 is a great price! I got mine for 99.95.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
I have found the M21 holiday bundle on sale at Olights.com for 99.95, with a 20% discount code that brings it to around $80.

What tint is that? I'm guessing WH. The WH on a lot of M20's can run very green. I have the WD tint from batteryjunction which is pure white. All user preference though.

droeun

Newly Enlightened
i have an olight m20 and very satisfied with it. another light you might consider that is in the similar price range, and size is the jetbeam RRT-2. it throws alittle better than the olight.

RRT-2 is also a bit heaver (172g vs 120g for M20). Might not bother some but just something to consider. I have an RRT-1 which has the same UI as RRT-2, and it's easy to accidentally switch modes. M20 has much better UI in my opinion.

ZRXBILL

Enlightened
I just got my M20 Christmas set with the ITP AAA light a few days ago for $80.:twothumbs

I'm using 2 AW 16340 batteries for the better regulation but they are sure TIGHT in that plastic battery tube....are they all that tight???

Mine seems to have the green tint only on low and it doesn't seem nearly as bad as some of the pictures I've seen.
As you go from low to med. to high it gets less green.

I was also surprised by how light it is.

I'm happy with it.:D

HKJ

Flashaholic
I'm using 2 AW 16340 batteries for the better regulation but they are sure TIGHT in that plastic battery tube....are they all that tight???

My CR123 batteries are also tight. You do not need to use the tube, it is only required if you want to load batteries fast or want to avoid any battery rattle.

FlashlightsNgear.com

→Formerly d1live←, Flashaholic
The M20 is a great light but Id be careful buying from unknown dealers with huge discounts, you may not ever see your package. Also, Trustfire chargers work great but many CPFers will agree to buy local, DX is in China and shipping may take a month. I use Cytac RCR123 is my M20, they fit the plastic tube perfect and have been very reliable thus far. You cant go wrong with the Olight M20 Gift set available at several online CPF dealers with discounts as much as 10% or more, check out the sales threads over at the MarketPlace.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=181841

kg4cro

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all for your answers. Bought the M20 holiday package for $90 shipped. Can't wait to fire it up. The customer service (actually it was the VP of Sales and Marketing) at Olight told me that all the holiday packages were the same, so I assume they will all be the WD color tint, since batteryjunction.com states that is what they sell.