• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB,,13 cell 15.6v battery pack

peanut44

Newly Enlightened
Title says it all realy, Wanted for mag623 2d tri bored build if i can find the pack or can some one Please make me one up?
Sorry if posted in wrong section mods please move,

Thanks all.

Last edited:

peanut44

Newly Enlightened
Hay Thanks will mail them and see what thay can do,
I beleve LuxLuthor does not make the battery packs any more Norm is this right? but whish he could make one up for me, i did mail him but i guess he must be bussy,

Thanks

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux did close his custom battery pack thread. Maybe if you asked nicely and said please, he will make you one.

If you are looking for a complete Mag623, contact fivemega. I know at one time he had complete hosts for 623's or higher lumen builds.

peanut44

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Yes i did mail him and asked nicly and said please,
I have an host im going to buy but need to make sure i can get hold of the battery packs now and probably in the futur,

Conte

Enlightened
Hmmm, I'm wondering why he stopped his Pack Making, and if there is still a demand for them.

I've been making battery packs for years, kind of enjoy it even.
Sometimes I wonder if its worth setting myself up to pick up where he left off.

My pack construction methods aren't as "posh looking" as his.

I bet he has one of those nice spot welding machines, where as I'll solder the tabs together manually. Then, he will shrink wrap his packs, I'll just wrap them up with electrical tape.

I'll look for his thread, link me to it for good measure.
I'll crunch some numbers, figure out how much it'll cost for me to make one. My battery supplier is actually having a sale right now, so its a good time to buy.

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux did it because he enjoyed it. I'm almost positive he did not do it to become rich because his prices were low for the quality of work he did. I would be willing to be that he barely broke even for the time and material.

I don't know the real reason he stopped making them. I do know that a couple of people complained publicly in his thread about something very minor that could have been taken care of through PM's.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux did it because he enjoyed it. I'm almost positive he did not do it to become rich because his prices were low for the quality of work he did. I would be willing to be that he barely broke even for the time and material.

I don't know the real reason he stopped making them. I do know that a couple of people complained publicly in his thread about something very minor that could have been taken care of through PM's.

Bingo. I made them because I enjoyed doing it, and knowing that a spot welder does less damage to NiMH cells than soldering which I have also done. It is the only thing that can be safely used for Lithium Ion cell packs.

I have high standards and one of the most important aspects of these high drain packs was cell testing & matching beforehand. There is a 3-10% failure rate under stress of high amp output cells, but once you weed out the bad cells, you are good to go. Getting a soldered pack from any of the battery resellers will not screen out those bad cells.

I sorted a batch of 300-500 cells by charging, discharging, weeding out 'weaker' cells after going through several cycles and also seeing how well they held a full charge over time. I was able to get things down to the point where I was comfortable giving a 45-60 day unconditional warranty replacement on packs I made.

Ask Mac about his experience with ordering a bunch of '623 packs from a popular battery reseller site. It takes time to do things right....and to do it right, people have to love it as a hobby, not as a business.

There is also a requirement to take better care of high drain cells like for the '623 torches. You can't let the cells sit dormant for 4-6 months, or they self-discharge their voltage to a harmfully low level.

Main problem I encountered was from a relatively new overseas CPF member who claimed non-receipt after 3 weeks. I refunded. 2 weeks later get another PM that he just got pack, and would send original payment + additional if I made and sent him another pack. I asked for original payment as a first step, and never heard back.

Problem with having a public "open sales thread" is you can't screen out people that might be a problem, so I closed thread after another minor fit issue was posted (badly) in the thread before giving me a chance to address by PM which I would have.

Here's a couple recent ones I did for Lips

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0694.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0710.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0719.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0721.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0686.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/pike444/Lips/packs/IMG_0722.jpg

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux, how much does a spot welder setup cost? Is it specifically made for welding batteries, or can you weld anything else with it?

Also, thats one giant 18650 pack that you made in those pictures!!

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Lux, how much does a spot welder setup cost? Is it specifically made for welding batteries, or can you weld anything else with it?

Also, thats one giant 18650 pack that you made in those pictures!!

The only place I know of that makes a reliable battery pack spot welder is Sunstone Engineering where I got mine, and that is its only purpose. I just happened to contact them as they were replacing the lowest priced model which I think was around $1,100 with all extras and got one of the last three they had left. They have since only had a low end model that last I checked was $2,300 without a power supply booster (for faster welds)

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only place I know of that makes a reliable battery pack spot welder is Sunstone Engineering where I got mine, and that is its only purpose. I just happened to contact them as they were replacing the lowest priced model which I think was around $1,100 with all extras and got one of the last three they had left. They have since only had a low end model that last I checked was $2,300 without a power supply booster (for faster welds)

Cool. Thanks for the info. I found this video, fast forward to 1:30. Is it really that easy! Wow he's welding those cells fast and perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd0-bez3bVs&feature=player_embedded

Is that a setup similar to yours Lux, with the battery welder attachment device?

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Cool. Thanks for the info. I found this video, fast forward to 1:30. Is it really that easy! Wow he's welding those cells fast and perfectly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd0-bez3bVs&feature=player_embedded

Is that a setup similar to yours Lux, with the battery welder attachment device?

Yeah that is their new "low end" model he is showing. The last part of video shows with an automated pneumatic double weld setup ($$$) and the extra power supply ($$$) that allows fast filling of capacitors for rapid weld rates. I would estimate in the last video you are looking at about $4000 in equipment.

I got the whole package of the hand held pointed rods, foot switch, and power booster, so I can go as fast as I can place welding leads. There is a bit of prep word that should be done first that they don't show.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ask Mac about his experience with ordering a bunch of '623 packs from a popular battery reseller site.

You had to go and remind me....didn't you!

I had 50 packs made by a reputable company. I tossed out more than half of the packs!

Mac

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had 50 packs made by a reputable company. I tossed out more than half of the packs!

Mac

Someone mind letting me know which reputable company it was via PM, I need a 13 cell pack, but don't want to have the same headache!

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mac

How aweful! I hope you didn't just toss out the packs, and I hope you at least salvaged the good cells...

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
How aweful! I hope you didn't just toss out the packs, and I hope you at least salvaged the good cells...

It woud be cheaper to buy new packs then spend hours charging and discharging cells to find the good ones. NIMH packs are a PITA!

Mac

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have taken the bad packs off your hands and and tested them, for the cost of shipping... If you do happen to have some bad packs lying around then PM me.

Also, what type of cells did you use in the packs that went so wrong?