Surefire A2 Aviator - Rechargeable Solution?

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
First off, I've read just about everything I can find about using lithium ion batteries in the A2 Aviator. I have not come to a good solution so far.

I have a couple of questions that I hope some of you can answer.

1) Are there any protected lithium ion batteries that fit in the current model A2 Aviator WITHOUT modification?
2) Is it necessary to purchase a modification such as the Aviatrix in order to use lithium ion batteries in this flashlight?

Thanks so much!

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
Ok, from that thread I got:

A2 Aviator
Battery Size: 2xCR123
Regulation Type: buck on incan, "resistored" direct drive on LEDs.
Recommended Input Voltage Range: 4.5-6V (estimated)
Recommended Rechargeable option: 2x 3.0V LiFeP04 RCR123. (may slightly overdrive LEDs but should work fine on the incan side, expect much reduced runtime compared to primaries.
Rechargeable alternatives: none worth mentioning.
*SF battery tubes have pretty tight tolerance, not all RCR123s will fit well. No guarantees.

Will the AW-139 charger work for these batteries or will it require a special charger?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
WillJitsu - Be careful. Their are two A2 Aviators. One LED one incandescent. The electronics are different in each and the rechargeable battery(ies) options may be different.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
WillJitsu - Be careful. Their are two A2 Aviators. One LED one incandescent. The electronics are different in each and the rechargeable battery(ies) options may be different.
Good call. I am talking about the Incandescent/LED combo light. Do you know which one the info from that thread I copied is referring to?

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Do you know which one the info from that thread I copied is referring to?

Not 100%. I believe it is the incan version. Because there is only one version listed and the incan was the original. Secondly, it did not say A2 LED Aviatior, which is the official name of the LED version. Lastly, the very end of the post says, "Last edited by mdocod; 01-14-2009 at 01:04 AM." Let's say I am 95% sure it is the incan version.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
Not 100%. I believe it is the incan version. Because there is only one version listed and the incan was the original. Secondly, it did not say A2 LED Aviatior, which is the official name of the LED version. Lastly, the very end of the post says, "Last edited by mdocod; 01-14-2009 at 01:04 AM." Let's say I am 95% sure it is the incan version.
Ok cool. Then I can go ahead and use those batteries listed then. Do we have a go to store for the forums that have the best prices for these batteries or should I just search around on google?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
R@ndom, those LiFe batteries have a nominal voltage of 3.2 volts - you think that's going to fry the LEDs?

If you're really sure about sticking with lithium ion, you can replace the resistors on the LED ring with ones that'll drop the voltage further, making the overdrive with stock resistors and lithium ion into something perfectly tolerable by the LEDs, and making the low much lower, when using 3v primaries.

Alternately, switch the LEDs out for something more tolerating of overdrive - I hear SMJLEDs are good about that.