StreamLight Nano, Gentos SK10G - Mini Review/Comparison (keychain twins)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
StreamLight Nano, Gentos SK10G - Mini Review/Comparison (keychain twins).

I bought a few of the Gentos SK10G about a week ago, then ordered the StreamLight Nano yesterday (which arrived today, making it my last delivery for the year) just so I could compare the two.

Here goes...

At a glance both of these little lights look almost identical.
The Gentos is claimed to be 15 lumens (at least on one website) but on the maker site the lumen output is not stated. My guess is the Gentos is really 10.
The Nano is claimed 10 lumens.

Detailed Gentos specs listed here:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3219495

Both weigh in at 10 grams with a runtime of 8 hours, running on 4x LR41 batteries.

At the first the beam of the Gentos appeared to be a little bluer, for sanity though I took another new Gentos out of the box and the beam looked identical to the Nano.
The hot spot seems to be somewhat elongated, almost peanut shaped. Other than that in terms of brightness, spill pattern and beam size, the two look mostly identical with slight differences which could possibly be attributed to the uniqueness of an individual led.

The comparison beamshots I have are of the first Gentos (the bluer one).

Both very bright for their size.

Both are twisties, the threading is the exact same size so the heads are interchangeable.
Even the keyring clip and ring that comes pre-attached with each light is exactly the same.

Other than the printing of each companies name/logo the main visible difference is the head.

The Nano has a fine, striped knurling pattern whilst the Gentos has a 8 equally spaced, deeper embossed lines, that extend higher up the body than that of the Nano.
With slight pressure both are easy enough to grip but if you cover them in oil, the deep grooves of the Gentos provides a little more grip.

Threading on both lights is equally smooth so very little effort is required to twist the lights to the on position.

Overall, good, solid little lights that are small enough to have all over the place. non flashaholics are impressed with the brightness although personally I prefer the brighter and more floody Lummi Wee which is a teenee bit shorter overall.

Glad to have added them to my collection in any case.
I'll probably end up modding the 2nd Gentos when I have time to dream up something cool as I like messing around with these things :)

As I was reviewing my photos I noticed "US Pat. No. d572,394" printed on the Nano.
After some quick checking I found the design patent filed Jan. 28, 2008:
http://www.google.com/patents?vid=USPATD572394

I guess that could be why the Gentos is not available in the USA.

With everyone copying everyone, at least in this case, both are equal in quality and probably even made in the same factory.

Here are the photos.

IMG_1375.jpg

In their packaging (above)

In all the photos below, Gentos is on the left, Nano is on the right

IMG_1376.jpg

side by side 1 [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1377.jpg

side by side 2 [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1379.jpg

staring down the barrel 1 [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1385.jpg

staring down the barrel 2 [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1382.jpg

a look inside [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1389.jpg

beamshot 1 side by side [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1390.jpg

beamshot 2 side by side [Gentos & Nano] (above)

IMG_1391.jpg

beamshot 3 side by side [Gentos & Nano] (above)

tgwnn

P.S. Wishing everyone a very BRIGHT:laughing: 2010!

Skyeye

Enlightened
Fine review! I have been using the Nano for a couple of years now and have nothing but praise for them. I have one on the keychain and wear one on my neck chain 24/7. I have used these two more than any light I own. Both still have the original batteries.