What lights have (or will have) a ring for level control

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
A friend just brought me the 2009 Surefire catalog, so I know about the, possibly, upcoming Invictus. I knew about the U2 and Titan. I just noticed the JetBeam RRT series. I see that the RRT-0 has an option for AA, but as I looked around I saw a few for sale on B/S/T at CPFMP, making me question the value of the light. So are there any other lights with the "rotating selector ring" or "Rapid Response Control Ring"?
My strong preference is AA as I have moved away from 123 lights, however the Invictus is tempting me with the 350 lumen output.

recDNA

Flashaholic
A friend just brought me the 2009 Surefire catalog, so I know about the, possibly, upcoming Invictus. I knew about the U2 and Titan. I just noticed the JetBeam RRT series. I see that the RRT-0 has an option for AA, but as I looked around I saw a few for sale on B/S/T at CPFMP, making me question the value of the light. So are there any other lights with the "rotating selector ring" or "Rapid Response Control Ring"?
My strong preference is AA as I have moved away from 123 lights, however the Invictus is tempting me with the 350 lumen output.

It's great to hear from another rotating selector ring fan! IMO it is by FAR the best way to adjust flashlight output. It's easy to remember (don't laugh - I have so many flashlights with clickies and different UI's that I forget how they work). Best of all you can set the level BEFORE you turn on the light. I'll be watching this thread with great interest because there may be more flashlights with this type of UI than I'm aware of.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I love the selector ring UI !! I know the Dosun has the selector ring. 4seven has them. It was a nice price and good quality from what I could see. I am a fan of strobes, but this is ridiculous.

* 5 constant brightness modes
o 120 lumens : 5.25 hours
o 96 lumens : 9.75 hours
o 48 lumens : 13.5 hours
o 36 lumens : 18 hours
o 12 lumens : 55.5 hours
* 2 SOS modes
* 2 flash-signal modes
* 1 strobe mode

That is why I didn't buy it.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TA30 has a selector ring and looks pretty sweet. The 3xcr123 format is neat too.
Out of Stock though.

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like selector ring and AA batteries [my personal favorites too], the EagleTac P10A2 is a great light. Only medium and high levels though. It is the brightest 2xAA light AFAIK [see Selfbuilts review of 2xAA lights]. I believe EagleTac makes some others like this but some have more levels and include blinky/strobe modes that I'm not interested in.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not big on long, slim lights myself and I've told myself to only buy lights that ALSO have a super low level from now on and the only exceptions would be if I buy something super powerful that cannot be set to super low.

Also, ring or super simple ui. That's why I like my D10 and EXX10 so much

Sardaukar

Enlightened
If you like selector ring and AA batteries [my personal favorites too], the EagleTac P10A2 is a great light. Only medium and high levels though. It is the brightest 2xAA light AFAIK [see Selfbuilts review of 2xAA lights]. I believe EagleTac makes some others like this but some have more levels and include blinky/strobe modes that I'm not interested in.

The P10A2 does not have a selector ring. The M2 series do, however.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about more control rings at the rear like the Gladius? At least if you want one-handed control rather than two hands.

BTW, on Amazon, the fenix ta21 has been getting 5 star ratings. Must be decent!

haplo

Newly Enlightened
The P10A2 does not have a selector ring. The M2 series do, however.

I think LED_Thrift was referring to the fact that the only modes on the P10A2 are available via tightening the head - similar to a selector ring.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I love the selector ring UI !! I know the Dosun has the selector ring. 4seven has them. It was a nice price and good quality from what I could see. I am a fan of strobes, but this is ridiculous.
That is why I didn't buy it.
Dosun R1 at 4Sevens.com
It is 2xAA powered AND on clearance!
Max lumens are only 85 but it looks decent, and I had a credit voucher so :paypal:.

Now I'm really glad I posted the question :)

OneBigDay

Enlightened
... I just bought the Fenix TA21 and it has a ring too....duh!

Nice light! I think it's ugly and I don't like the way it feels in my hand but it's a nice light regardless.

I picked up a TA21 and I also have very mixed feelings about it. Overall it's too big for what it does. That is my only real complaint about it.

My $.02 on the control ring ...

Control Ring PROS: Simple interface suitable for non flashaholics (you don't have to study a UI manual to figure it out). Nice to have more than 3 levels of usable light to choose from.

Control Ring CONS: Too many levels, the TA21 has 10 (how many levels is enough?). In most situations L-M-H seems to be enough in other lights if the levels are chosen at good intervals. My only true complaint with the control ring is that in the dark there is no reference point or visual indication what level you are at. So you have to dial all the way up or down and then start counting clicks if you want to know where you are at. IMHO this gets annoying. The UI more or less requires two handed operation.

Most likely there are other lights with a better implementation of a control ring. A small lighted indication of what setting you are at would make it far more useful.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
IMHO it would be better if the Eagletac lights could be turned on in low mode. If they could switch the 'general' mode with the low mode it would allow you to turn on the light with the head in the loosened position so that it starts in low and you don't blind yourself and ruin your low light adaptation. Even better would be the ability to turn them on in any mode, but I assume that would increase complexity and cost. What I am asking for ought to be simple to implement. I'm still mighty close to getting a P20C2 or T20C2 because of this thread.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to check out a comparison of 18650-compatible selector ring lights titled:
Jetbeam RRT2 v Nitecore SR3 v Fenix TA21 comparison review on Light-Reviews.com

Latest posts