XP-G directly off of a CR2?

sortafast

Enlightened
I have a friend that wanted to see if I could make a light of his a bit brighter. Since it is quite small and runs off of a CR2 battery I thought that the XP-G would be a good fit. Looking at it, I could probably get away with direct driving it, but I am not sure if the battery can take it. Good idea? Sure would simplify things. I would really like to run a buck/boost driver at 500mA and see where I could get with that, but it might be pushing it current wise. Can't really find much info of any use via google.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
For Li primary CR2 performance, see this thread. Scroll to the 3rd graph in post #1. It looks like the tested cell can hold 2.5V at a current draw of 0.5A to 0.75A. If you use 1xCR2 to power a boost driver,

driver efficiency * Vbatt * Ibatt = Vf * If

If we assume a driver efficiency of 80%, then we can deliver 0.8 * 2.5 * 0.75 = 1.5W power to the LED. If efficiency is 90%, then the power increases to 1.69W. If Ibatt is 0.5A, then the power delivered might range from 1.0W to 1.1W.

If you look at the XP-G datasheet, the typical Vf at 350mA is 3.0V (I've measured 3.2V at ~1000mA, so certainly Vf can be a lot lower than the typical datasheet value, which would really help when using 1xCR2).

0.350A * 3.0V = 1.05W

Thus, 1xCR2 should be able to power an XP-G at 350mA drive current even for a driver with an average efficiency of 80% and assuming that the CR2 can hold 2.5V at 0.5A current draw.

If the cell can really hold 2.5V at 0.75A and deliver 1.5W, then looking at the XP-G If-Vf graph in the datasheet, the If-Vf pair that gives 1.5W is about 500mA/3.1V. Thus, it might be possible to drive the XP-G at 500mA.

If driver efficiency is better than 80%, then you can deliver that much more drive current to the LED, but to be conservative I'd say that a 500mA boost driver is about the max you can reasonably expect. A 350mA driver is looks well-within the CR2's performance envelope.

At 350mA, an XP-G R4 is rated at a min of 130 emitter lumens. At 500mA, an R4 looks like it can deliver about 180 emitter lumens.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
fwiw I hooked up a xpg to a cr2 dd and got 450ma flow I wonder how long that would last I know it would decline as it runs but the efficiency would be pretty high.:D
C