Better flashlight than a 2D Mag-Lite + Malkoff Drop-In for the money?

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a stock 2D Mag-Lite Incandescent flashlight that I'm thinking about upgrading with the Malkoff 2D Drop-In Module. Total cost to upgrade it is $80 (parts & shipping).

Before I order, are there any other flashlights (stock or modified) out there less than $80 that will outperform it?

These are the specs of the 2D with module from his website:

Max Lumens Outpout: 260
Full Output Runtime: 3 hrs
Throw (ft): 1000

Thanks in advance!

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
For LED, no. It's probably possible, for a similar cost, to do your own powerful LED mag mod, but the malkoff would of course be much easier. I keep meaning to get a malkoff for my 2D mag but never seem to get round to it. Could be because I want to use NiMH D cells with it, and that would add some serious cost to the upgrade, but I'm sick of buying alkaline cells and having them leak and run out, etc.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
For LED, no. It's probably possible, for a similar cost, to do your own powerful LED mag mod, but the malkoff would of course be much easier. I keep meaning to get a malkoff for my 2D mag but never seem to get round to it. Could be because I want to use NiMH D cells with it, and that would add some serious cost to the upgrade, but I'm sick of buying alkaline cells and having them leak and run out, etc.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the drop-in. What kind of batteries can I use without further modification? Standard Duracell D batteries? Can I use Eneloops with the D-cell housings?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 3D Mag would be better.
The Malkoff module is 1000mA/260lumens in a 3D Mag.
On a 2D Mag it is only 600mA giving approximately 260*600/1000=~156 lumens.

-

What kind of AA to D adapter are you using?
The Mag spring is too wide to fit into the hole of my DX ones > no contact with the bottom of the metal strip > no light.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
A 3D Mag would be better.
The Malkoff module is 1000mA/260lumens in a 3D Mag.
On a 2D Mag it is only 600mA giving approximately 260*600/1000=~156 lumens.

-

What kind of AA to D adapter are you using?
The Mag spring is too wide to fit into the hole of my DX ones > no contact with the bottom of the metal strip > no light.

It's the same drop in module for the 2D and 3D Mag-Lite, right?

The AA to D adapter I have is just the standard D size housings that eneloop sells.

Max_Power

Enlightened
While it is great to have a modded maglite, it's a lot easier to carry around something like an MD2 or a Valiant. It costs a little more up front, but pays off when you have a reliable light with you when it is needed, instead of in the garage / car / kitchen drawer. The MD series also supports 18mm diameter cells, which have markedly larger storage capacity (amp-hour rating) and higher maximum current rating than CR123 cells - this is required for some high-performance emitter modules. Thermal management on the MD bodies paired with the M30 and M60 drop-ins is the best around. I find myself using the optional high/low ring quite a bit, for tasks like reading, walking with dark-adapted vision, or working on small items.

That being said, I have a 700 lumen 2D maglite modded with the Malkoff P7 and Malkoff 2x18650 battery adapter :). But I almost never use it since I have other excellent lights on my person (Valiant, MD2, MD3 wildcat). And 700 lumens is really a bit too much for indoor usage in my small condo.

If you want reliability, it will cost a certain amount of money to get it. Don't waste your money on junk that you will end up tossing out. At least get something that's going to have some resale value.

Best regards,
Max_Power

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
That being said, I have a 700 lumen 2D maglite modded with the Malkoff P7 and Malkoff 2x18650 battery adapter :). But I almost never use it since I have other excellent lights on my person (Valiant, MD2, MD3 wildcat). And 700 lumens is really a bit too much for indoor usage in my small condo.
I looked all over his website and could not find the P7 that you are talking about. Where can I find some information on that?

Deputy T.

Newly Enlightened
The P7 seems to have been pulled from production. That's usually what happens when an item disappears from his website. We've all been anxiously waiting to see what Gene brings out next. I'm still waiting for my chance to pick up an XPG dropin. Saw one of those in action in my buddy's 6d and it is beautiful.

Anyway, back to the P7 dropin...it used a P7 emitter rather than the P4 that was used at the time (since been replaced by the Cree XPG) and sold for $125, boasting 700 Lumens of out put. They've been selling lately over in the Market Place for around $100-$115.

Arnulf

Enlightened
I currently have a stock 2D Mag-Lite Incandescent flashlight that I'm thinking about upgrading with the Malkoff 2D Drop-In Module. Total cost to upgrade it is $80 (parts & shipping).

Before I order, are there any other flashlights (stock or modified) out there less than $80 that will outperform it?

These are the specs of the 2D with module from his website:

Max Lumens Outpout: 260
Full Output Runtime: 3 hrs
Throw (ft): 1000

Thanks in advance!

Who is selling the Malkoff maglite upgrades...every time I go to the Malkoff web site it sez they are all sold out?

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
Who is selling the Malkoff maglite upgrades...every time I go to the Malkoff web site it sez they are all sold out?
Yeah you're right. It's all out of stock for now. Not sure when he plans to get more.

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
If you can wait I would check around for a good SST-50 or SST-90 light.
Well I'm certainly in no rush. I just have this stock 2D Mag-Lite just sitting around waiting for something. Is this a mod that you think Malkoff will eventually do or will I need to obtain it somewhere else?

Max_Power

Enlightened
The P7 drop-in for Maglite was about $120 new, so it is holding value well. I always get a laugh out of telling people not to look at it when it's on, and some people have to find out for themselves that even the flood beam is blinding. 700 lumens is quite a lot of light, although outdoors it doesn't seem like so much.

I have found that it pays to call or write Gene to let him know what you want, and he can let you know what's cooking... or maybe you can talk him into making you something special. That's how I ended up with my favorite module, the Wildcat, in warm white tint. It is useful on MD2, MD3, and MD4 bodies. Others on this forum have requested special builds like a P7 drop-in module for surefire that runs on a single 18650 cell (probably best on an IMR 18650 due to high current requirement.) If you really want something that's "out of stock" or not on the menu, then a chat with the proprietor can't hurt :).

Right now I am locking up my credit card until the warm white XPG LEDs start showing up in M60 modules. OK, I did get a D36 module with an SST50 for my shotgun light. And I just had to get an M4 clone body to put that TLS P7 turbo head onto (it wouldn't fit the shotgun, you see.) Both are pretty white, though, so they are at least at the warm end of cool white.

Other than that, I am locking up the credit card :).

--Max_Power

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
I don't get people using D sized bodies and AA size batteries in adapters... D size batteries can typically give you 4 times as much energy as the AA ones. If you can't afford them, then youre probably better off sticking with an AA light.

Its like drinking your coffee out of a 1 gallon cup.

Max_Power

Enlightened
If I used the 2D mag more, I'd buy some XTAR D-cell Li-ion cells. Then I'd need to rig my Pila IBC to charge them. No big deal, but it's only worth it if I use the light often. Also have to be careful not to use the 4.2V D batteries in something built for 1.5V cells.

To use MiMH cells, I could put the P7 into my 5D Maglite. Then I'd need to buy another charger and about 10 D-sized NiMH cells. The light would be huge, heavy, and would never get used as a result of that.

This way I have a lightweight "sleeper" 2D Mag that can run at full brightness until the batteries are dry.

I'll probably get some D-size Li-Ions eventually, but I have plenty of 18650 cells right now.

Probably the best overall mod right now is the Malkoff XPG drop-in and a 3D mag. It has the best balance of brightness, runtime, and portability for a maglite. Runs OK on alkalines too. I have a Mag3D that I ought to convert... but it's not warm/neutral white, so I keep on waiting... besides, I have 6P/M3/M4/VME/MD2/MD3/MD4 lights that are smaller and at least as bright, and I'm concentrating on converting them all to neutral tint instead of upgrading the mags.

--Max_Power

WillJitsu

Newly Enlightened
How does the XPG drop-in compare with the P7 mod in terms of throw? I have a Quark AA that I use for close up work, but I would like to mod my Mag-Lite for when I need to view something in the distance.

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Presumably you could run the 2/3 D cell version in a 2D host with 3 C cells and have it running at 1000mA/260lumens...?

Dave.

wjf2000

Newly Enlightened
The life+gear 360 is 3c, 360 lumens (claimed), has two levels and strobe and costs $100 plus tax for 2 at costco.com I dont think it is 360 lumens but it is definitely brighter than my 6p with a malkolf m60. It also has pretty good throw. I got mine on sale for $80. If your not happy with the light just return it to costco for a full refund.