Tiny-light idea! Any machininsts feeling brave?

OddOne

Enlightened
I think I just came up with a light design that'd be smaller than anything else (that runs on a Luxeon LED, anyway) I can recall seeing on CPF. My proto is about the size of a 123 battery, and that includes the NX05. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Any machinists interested in trying their hand at making a few (read: 4-6)? I'll stuff the guts into half of 'em and ship 'em to ya in exchange for making the parts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

OddOne

Enlightened
This will actually be smaller than the firefly, in both diameter and length.

oO

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'm interested in hearing more about this! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking about it more.... size of the 123 including optics... Could it be running off Taridians? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pictures? Diagrams? Dimensions? Schematics? Beamshots? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

highlandsun

Enlightened
Re: Tiny-light idea! Any machininsts feeling brave

How much power, how much runtime? I can get a 300mAH LiIon AAA, that would run a Luxeon at nearly-full power for only an hour. Not sure that's really useful.

OddOne

Enlightened

Was out of town all weekend, so I'm playing catch-up.

Quick synopsis:

1w Luxeon Emitter or Star behind a NX05 in a polished well to catch off-angle light, Zetex-based driver set to slightly overdrive the Luxeon (400mA), 1x CR2 battery for smaller size and it'd be easy to increase runtime with 2 CR2s and a longer body tube. My proto looks like it'll get about an hour of runtime before dropping out of regulation ("moon mode"!).

Should be possible to get the whole thing built into a package 2.5" long, and quite posibly shorter than 2.5", and less than an inch in diameter.

oO

paulr

Flashaholic

You saw Larry's CR2 light? Yours is smaller than that?? My hat is off to you.

OddOne

Enlightened

Haven't seen Larry's CR2 experiment yet - got an URL?

oO

OddOne

Enlightened

Oh yeah, THAT light! That is a 1337 0n3...

I should be able to come pretty damn close to matching the size, and possibly making it smaller thanks to some creative driver board design I've been working on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

OddOne,

My current EDC version of that one is .714" dia across the knurl, and 2.013" (off) OAL (including the lanyard attach /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) The aperature over the glass lens is .568" dia. The electronics (not counting the coin silver relay contact) is .200 long. You get it any smaller and I want one!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

OddOne

Enlightened

'Sup Larry! Figured you'd pounce on this thread, hehehe...

Well, I figure I can use the NX05's flange for a retention mount, so the O.D. will be in the order of .75. (I don't want to turn the optic down if I can avoid it, so as to not ruin its beam, etc.)

As for the length, I've been experimenting with a new driver board layout that sits in front of the LED's baseplate (around the LED emitter and base of any optic) instead of behind, so it literally takes up -no- space between the LED/heatsinking and batteries. So, it should be theoretically possible to get the whole enchilada down to .5" for the optic and retainer + .15" for the LED (assuming a Star, and including the heatsink itself) + .1" for the mounting surface for the LED + 1.05" for the battery + .2" for the negative contact and the thickness of the endcap, for a grand total of 2.0" on the dot. Trimming space here and there (using an emitter instead of a star, decreasing thicknesses here and there, etc.) should drop it to 1.8-1.9 inches.

Methinks to get any smaller than your real light and my no-yet-real one, we'll hafta get some smaller batteries... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

OddOne,

The stock NX-05 is .775" dia at its flange, .665 at the base of the cone, and the front flat face is .695. Turning just the flange to .735 dia will leave an .020 wide ledge in front and will have no optical effect if you don't cover it with too buch bezel. The optic and an emitter stack to .545" long. If you can get your "board" circular, abt .650 dia, and with a hole in the middle for the emitter, you will definately have a winner! I *think* thats something like the Arc LS is layed-out, but I've never seen one.

(I hate wasted "cubes" in a flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

OddOne

Enlightened

That should be plenty o' lip then, and it'd cut the O.D. down a good bit too. Thanks for the #s!

As for the driver board, it's actually hexagonal, the same size as the Star's heatsink with a hole to clear the emitter. Therefore, where a Star can go, so can the driver. I took tons o' pics of the build, so an article for my LED site will probably be forthcoming when I get a smaller inductor wound up that won't pop the pass transistor. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dang, it sounds like I should pair up with you for a build of a few protos, assuming this holds any interest of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

oO

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

OddOne,

I am in the middle of several for my next anodizing run which is abt 3 weeks off. I can't do prod'n stuff- mainly screw-around on my lunch hour. Your electronics knowledge greatly exceeds mine! Your offer to "pair up" does intrigue me for some possible 2-of-a-kinds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

Larry