• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

The Sundrop is an amazing photography light!

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a full array of photos posted on this web page and most members of this forum already know what a great job the Sundrop does with color rendition, but in my excitement I feel compelled to share a few select photos that I took today. Each photo was a 4 second exposure, 100 ISO, f/5.6, and I took the Sundrop and 'swept' over the subject to give an even exposure. I found this technique over here in The Darkroom, courtesy of John.

I hope this is the proper place for this post - please let me know, or move it, or whatever if it isn't. My hope is that should anyone who is contemplating the acquisition of a Sundrop should find their way here, they will find these photos helpful.

First photo is actually of the Sundrop - the lighting is supplied by a MirageMan mule being hosted by a 1x123 McClicky Pak - take note of the tint. (NOTE - the ONLY edits to any of these photos was cropping to eliminate dead space.)

IMG_2245.JPG

Here's a photo of my Benchmade S30V Griptilian - the color is perfect!
IMG_2232.JPG

My old friend - a 23 year old Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust alongside a new friend - a Lunasol 20 acquired from a fellow CPFer.
IMG_2236.JPG

My 1979 Martin D28 Sunburst - again, the color is PERFECT!! No editing!
IMG_2257.JPG

The "Business End" of my Haiku, resting on 2x123 McClicky Pak which is hosting a CREEmator head...
IMG_2243.JPG

As has been said numerous times in multiple places in this forum, the Sundrop is not about max lumens or long throw - rather, it is about providing accuracy of color reproduction, a mini 'sun in your hand' if you will. Don has created a terrific lighting tool, and it is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

:twothumbs

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Very nice photos ! :thumbsup:

And I agree ... the SD makes a nice light for photography ... because of the CRI and the even light distribution.

bernie

pianoman

Enlightened
Its funny too because, if you recall, when the sundrop concept first came out it was slow to catch on.....

tdurand

Enlightened
It's kinda good marketing by Don, don't you think? The individual has to buy two lights. One for the subject of the photo and the other to provide the light. Instant doubling of sales. Genius!

I haven't photographed mine yet since I only got one.
T

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kinda good marketing by Don, don't you think? The individual has to buy two lights. One for the subject of the photo and the other to provide the light. Instant doubling of sales. Genius!

I haven't photographed mine yet since I only got one.
T

Indeed. However, I, too, have only the one Sundrop. I used a 'lesser' CRI light to photograph the Sundrop.

:sssh:

moses

Enlightened
As a photographer, I must say that the various examples of Sundrop's color rendition is absolutely amazing! I intentionally chose a station in life where I can't pay for a $440 light but this is just beautiful! Very very nice. (My one little McGizmo item is a brilliantly polished aluminum reflector in an Arc LS that goes back many years. That one still gives the most beautiful even wide beam!)

I'd love to see the beam distribution of a Sundrop versus a Sundrop XR-U against a flat wall. I think that the wider beam of the Sundrop. Anyone have that?

Thanks,
Moses

paulr

Flashaholic
If I had the $$$, I'd be trying to buy three more Sundrops (I have one already) to use with an impromptu copying setup. The Sundrop is my favorite light ever.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Great thread.

I kindof want this light now and agree that I'd love to see the original beam vs. XR-U.

And, not to get off topic, but in terms of other photography lights, I just picked up a Zebralight H501W which is pretty wonderful as well! I wonder if someone could compare these two "warm" lights for taking pics?

:cool:

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Added quite a few yesterday over on another thread but can't resist adding a couple of my favorites here - and I wish I did have multiple Sundrops or at least an XR-U for comparison. Paulr, I like your idea. 4 Sundrops would be almost perfect (but $$$$!!!!) Don't have the Zebralight to compare to, either.

In these photos it was a combination of sunlight coming in a side window and light painting with the Sundrop...

ISO 100 - 13 second exposure - 29 aperture – painted with Sundrop
IMG_2420.JPG

13 second shutter – 29 aperture – an old Danbury mint model of a VW
IMG_2432.JPG

6 seconds – 14 aperture – Sundrop
IMG_2429.JPG

A Malkoff M60WF might work, too?

:thinking:

wquiles

Flashaholic
Added quite a few yesterday over on another thread but can't resist adding a couple of my favorites here - and I wish I did have multiple Sundrops or at least an XR-U for comparison. Paulr, I like your idea. 4 Sundrops would be almost perfect (but $$$$!!!!) Don't have the Zebralight to compare to, either.

In these photos it was a combination of sunlight coming in a side window and light painting with the Sundrop...

ISO 100 - 13 second exposure - 29 aperture – painted with Sundrop

(snip)

13 second shutter – 29 aperture – an old Danbury mint model of a VW

(snip)

6 seconds – 14 aperture – Sundrop

(snip)

A Malkoff M60WF might work, too?

:thinking:

Those are AWESOME pictures by the way :twothumbs