Need Help With Light Upgrade

C

charge

Hi Folks,

I am an old member here and I am back for some advice. Ive been away from lights for a while so please bear with me.

I am currently using a Fenix L2D-CE which I purchased 3 years ago. I carry it everyday and I have been very impressed with it. I am looking to upgrade to a light with a bit more output.

I have been looking mostly at the Fenix LD20 and the Quark AA2 and AA2 Tactical. I like the tacticals programming and momentary on options, but I have had my current Fenix get clicked on in the holster.
I dont end up noticing it until someone tells me its on or it gets so d@mn hot I can feel it. The tactical's exposed button scres me a bit here. Also the light will be used occasionally for concealed carry purposes so the tactical momentary on would be nice.

Will I notice a big difference in max output between these and my current light? Does the Quark AA2 Turbo have alot more throw than the standard tactical?

The lights main use will be everyday carry used for general contracting work. I like some throw for outdoor night work. Also I prefer 2xAA lights

Thank for your help

C

charge

Can anyone tell me which of these lights would Have a similar beam to my current light.

Any Opinions?

Thanks

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Quark Turbos have a larger reflector, which also gives more throw. The newer Quarks all use the XP-G LED, so they all have more output then the L2D, but since the LED has a larger die, throw could be around the same (I don't remember the lux at 1m for all the lights, so I can't confirm).

The LD20 has a redesigned reflector compared to the L2D, which gives a bit more throw.

As for the momentary clicky, some lights have a recessed forward clickie, and with the Fenix and Quark, you can swap the switches, so you can get both and see which one works best for you.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you might also want to consider whether or not you are happy with the cool white of most standard quality leds or possibly try out a neutral or warm white option.

I think you will be happy with either the quark or the new fenix, unless you are looking for something specifically with more throw or more flood.

You may also want to go with the qaurks do to their ability to lego and also because they sport the newest leds.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you considered using CR123 lights. It sounds like you may not get the output your looking for with AA models. You could broaden your light selection by many times over if you did. Then you could consider a Fenix PD30+ or a Surefire. Good luck