Acebeam        
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: A Tribute to Nitecore D10

Default Re: A Tribute to Nitecore D10

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    DANG!

PM me if you find a connection???
    I may be able to help you guys out on this one.

There are currently two sites that stock Nitecore D10's with the original ramping UI:

1. http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/niteco...ecore-d10.html
    I haven't purchased from these guys specifically, but they carry the old ramping UI D10's in both Q5 and R2 emitters. Someone on EDCForums purchased one last week for $81USD and confirmed it's a hybrid that arrived. Pictures of what arrived can be seen here: http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/...l=1#post935414

2. http://www.shenzhen-wholesale.com/ni...t_sku1800.html
    I purchased a D10 R2 from these guys a few weeks ago. I will warn you right now, shipping is incredibly expensive at $32USD, but I paid it because I was insanely curious if they really did have them in stock. I chose DHL Express from the options and it arrived in 3 days. I wish there was a way to get it shipped slower for cheaper. With shipping the light cost $100USD and is an older R2, pictures can be seen here: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...4&postcount=56

So if you're willing to spend $80+ USD, you CAN still get ramping D10's. The ones from Flashaholics come in black ano, the one I received from Shenzhen-Wholesale is a gorgeous olive color. Good luck all!

Question. Sorry if this is out of topic, but the little brother the EX10... my version seems to be ringy... is that normal? Can it be fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by CaNo View Post
    Question. Sorry if this is out of topic, but the little brother the EX10... my version seems to be ringy... is that normal? Can it be fixed?
    If you mean there's a center tight hot spot and a well defined side spill then it's "normal" in an XR-E LED (not in an XP-E).

An ice-blue JHanko Titanium D10 is now added to VERSIONS.

If you own one of his creations, you'll understand the superb quality in the finishing as well as the ingenuity of his tritium application. Such a beauty cannot be fully appreciated until one gets to hold and use it. The piston is perfectly tuned for an activation that requires an easy amount of force and at the right traverse distance. The body is meticulously machined to create a refined, smooth finishing to it. It is indeed the holy grail of D10s.

A BIG THANK YOU to JHanko for such an outstanding piece of work.

Last edited by Zeruel; 08-28-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post

If you own one of his creations, you'll understand the superb quality in the finishing as well as the ingenuity of his tritium application. Such a beauty cannot be fully appreciated until one gets to hold and use it. The piston is perfectly tuned for an activation that requires an easy amount of force and at the right traverse distance. The body is meticulously machined to create a refined, smooth finishing to it. It is indeed the holy grail of D10s.
    100% agree.
    JHanko's creations are simply works of art.
    A big cheers to one of the best flashlight craftsmen in the world
    and a great person.

Thanks to calipsoii, I was able to still find and order another of my favorite lights, the discontinued D10 R2. I went with Flashaholics.

Having only one D10 R2 and with the changes Nitecore has made since that model, I really wanted a second one before they were all gone for good. I'll chime in again when I receive it.

Thanks, calipsoii!
    "Be kind... everyone you encounter in life is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Quote Originally Posted by compasillo View Post
    100% agree.
    JHanko's creations are simply works of art.
    A big cheers to one of the best flashlight craftsmen in the world
    and a great person.
    +1!!!

I got my EX10 yesterday, with green trits, the twin sister for my D10 with blue trits. Have a look at those two neauties, though my crappy picture doesn't do those great lights justice :

Jeff is a great person to deal with as well!
    My way : From Maglite and drop-ins over Fenix & Co to the real things - Customs and Titaniums!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeruel View Post

A BIG THANK YOU to JHanko for such an outstanding piece of work.

Hmmm unfortunatly Zeruel you have violated rules posting this here and subsequently I am going to have to confiscate this light as a lesson not to put such pictures in the future - this is for your own good and its going to hurt you more than its going to hurt me.

Truth be told, JHanko's D10 is da bomb. Well.... I guess it could be sinfully wrong...

For more sins, see first post...

Thanks to calipsoii, the D10 R2 I ordered from Flashaholics in England last week just arrived at my door in Washington State.

And as with his experience, this light came in an "SP" box, but the body of the light itself is labeled "D10 R2".

While it operates like a D10 R2 (ramping and such), the emitter is noticibly smaller than the emitter in my first D10 R2. And the PCB is apparently the SP edition, being red, rather than green.

Any idea what this smaller emitter would be?

Output of the new light is about .1EV to .2EV less than the other light, as measured by ceiling bounce. 1EV = a doubling or halving of measured light. The measured difference in output between the lights is not apparent to the eye. (Same AW 14500 li-ion used in each light for testing.)

Other differences, as compared to my last years D10 R2, is the black ano is ever so very slightly not quite as jet black, the reflector is somewhat shinier (not quite as matte) as the version I bought last year, and it has a 2nd Edition SP piston, with the piston's o-ring on the narrower (button) part of the sleeve, making operation a little bit lighter in feel.

This new light is indeed a "ramping hybrid"... incorporating elements of the older D10 R2 (UI) and the later D10 SP R2 (PCB and piston). Still wondering what the smaller emitter is.

Thank you calipsoii for helping me find a backup D10 R2.
    Last edited by DHart; 08-30-2010 at 02:00 PM.
    "Be kind... everyone you encounter in life is fighting battles you have no awareness of."

Flashaholic*

And as with his experience, this light came in an "SP" box, but the light is labeled D10 R2 and while it operates like a D10 R2 (ramping and such), . . .
    Yes, my heart sank when I saw "SP" on the box, but mine is also the ramping hybrid. Many thanks to Antony and Flashaholics for getting these in.

. . .the emitter is noticibly smaller than the emitter in my first D10 R2. And the PCB is red, rather than green. Could this be an XP-G emitter?
    Count the segments on the LED - three rather than four means it's the XP-E.

Had an emitter question... got the answer from the first post.
    Last edited by DHart; 08-31-2010 at 11:02 AM.

The left is Cree XR-E, the right is Cree XP-E.

Thanks gunga... obviously I'm not very intimate with my emitters! I'm guessing they are likely to both be R2 output bin? Tint bin looks very close to my eyes.

Any idea what the tint bin is on these?
    Last edited by DHart; 08-30-2010 at 02:42 PM.

THe XR-E will either be Q5 or R2 depending on the model, age etc. IF it is not marked on the body, it is likely Q5. The XP-E is R2.

Both are cool white, likely WC tint.

Both are great once modded to neutral tints.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    THe XR-E will either be Q5 or R2 depending on the model, age etc. IF it is not marked on the body, it is likely Q5. The XP-E is R2.

Both are cool white, likely WC tint.

Both are great once modded to neutral tints.

Hmmmm... how about a mod to an XP-G... would that be a straightforward mod with these D10's? I'd love to have that wide, soft, neutral look of an XP-G R4.

Hmmmm... how about a mod to an XP-G... would that be a straightforward mod with these D10's? I'd love to have that wide, soft, neutral look of an XP-G R4.

I have 3 modded D10s. 1 has a high CRI seoul, lower output, but great, floody beam, the other 2 have neutral XP-Gs. Yes, more floody, smoother beam, with either reflector. Less throw tho, but I don't mind...

They are not a ton of fun to take apart, but I've had much, much worse. I'vce also heard the drivers are flaky and can die for no reason, but none for me so far (knocks on wood).

I also have trits in all of mine. The trit pitsons are just TOO COOL!

The emitter in your new D10 is an XP-E R2

EDIT: hmmm it was already answered - slow mail response.
    Last edited by Glenn7; 08-30-2010 at 09:15 PM.

See MODIFICATIONS of first post.
    However, it's not neutral.

Zeruel... YOU are amazing. This is such an awesome thread. Had I RE-referenced the first post of this thread, my questions on emitter would have been instantly answered. Makes me feel like a dweeb, for sure... oh well, it is what it is!

Now I have to go back and RE-read (for perhaps the third time since you started this amazing thread) the first post! My memory doesn't seem to want to retain nearly as much as I wish it did! And thanks again for this thread.
    Last edited by DHart; 08-30-2010 at 10:47 PM.

DHart,

Please, can you resize your pic on post #552 to fit the 800x800 max size
    according to the rules?.
    It's a bit annoying the horizontal scroll to read posts (yes, I have a 4:3 monitor yet )

EDIT:

Many thanks DHart
    Last edited by compasillo; 08-31-2010 at 12:10 PM.

Flashaholic

Zeruel, please forgive me if this topic has been mentioned already in this awesome thread, but have you considered adding the "ramping bug" issue in early D10s (and EX10s) to your "Issues" section? I know it was a concern of many D10 users, and it's explained rather well in post #253 of this link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=201684&page=9
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler

Just goes to show that you can teach on old dog new tricks...

I've had my first D10 for about a year and a half and haven't carried it much because I preferred something smaller and lighter in my pocket... and clips didn't really appeal to me for some odd reason. I just recently decided that getting a clip for it would be a good thing! My clips arrived (one for each of my D10's) today and the clip has totally transformed my D10! I don't know why it took me so long to discover the utility of a clip on a light, but now I really understand it. For years I carried my knives and flashlights at the bottom of my pockets and I'm just now using clips for both. What a nice change.

Part of why I never liked clips with flashlights is because many of them aren't deep pocket carry, like my Quarks hung the whole tailcap outside of the pocket - something that never appealed to me.

Anyway, as probably everyone here already knows well, the D10 clip allows for DEEP pocket carry and makes the D10 such a superb carry light. Wonderful! Now I finally feel like a true, full-fledged member of the "D10 society". Ahhhh... it's nice! Long live the D10.
    Last edited by DHart; 09-21-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Just goes to show that you can teach on old dog new tricks... I've had my first D10 for about a year and a half and haven't carried it much because I preferred something smaller and lighter in my pocket... and clips didn't really appeal to me for some odd reason. I just recently decided that getting a clip for it would be a good thing! My clips arrived (one for each of my D10's) today and the clip has totally transformed my D10! I don't know why it took me so long to discover the utility of a clip on a light, but now I really understand it. For years I carried my knives and flashlights at the bottom of my pockets and I'm just now using clips for both. What a nice change.
    Welcome to the world of pocket clip carry DHart!

Isn't it great... I've always liked to carry my knives clipped to my pocket. I love it because it makes for easy, quick access when needed, and enables you to grab it the same way every time for easy deployment. It also keeps it snug against you, instead of bouncing around in your pocket with whatever else you have there.

Like you, I also like deep carry pocket clips, especially with my knives. Deep pocket carry may make it a little harder to pull out at times, but I'll sacrifice that to have discreet carry.

My knife clipped to right front pocket, and flashlight clipped to left front pocket works great for me. The little lights I don't mind on my keychain.

Now all I need is for NiteCore to put out the D11 version with XP-G R5, ramping UI with shortcuts to min/max, and hidden strobe/sos... so I can become a member of the D11 society.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchaser View Post
    My knife clipped to right front pocket, and flashlight clipped to left front pocket works great for me.
    Just the way I like it as well!

Flashaholic

Anyway, as probably everyone here already knows well, the D10 clip allows for DEEP pocket carry and makes the D10 such a superb carry light.
    Welcome to the clip club, DHart! When I think of DEEP pocket carry, I think of lights like the iTP A series lights whose clips allow the light's tail to ride flush against the top of the pocket. To me, the D10 clip allows for deeper pocket carry when compared to the Quarks you mentioned.

I also prefer discreet carry, which is why I prefer Spydercos with wire clips that allow for deep carry.

And I also carry a knife in my front right pocket and a light in my front left pocket. Great minds...
    The hero is one who kindles a great light in the world, who sets up blazing torches in the dark streets of life for men to see by. - Felix Adler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shawn View Post
    I also prefer discreet carry, which is why I prefer Spydercos with wire clips that allow for deep carry.

And I also carry a knife in my front right pocket and a light in my front left pocket. Great minds...
    Oh you're preachin to the choir on Spydercos with wire clips, my friend. They are my favorites, especially the G-10 UKPK with it's SV30 steel, wire clip, G-10 scales... so sleek, slim, unassuming, and sharper than a freakin' razor blade. And, interesting tidbit, a bent wire clip is more expensive to make than a stamped metal clip. Gotta love the Spydies with wire clips!

Last edited by DHart; 09-22-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Oh you're preachin to the choir on Spydercos with wire clips, my friend. They are my favorites, especially the G-10 UKPK with it's SV30 steel, wire clip, G-10 scales... so sleek, slim, unassuming, and sharper than a freakin' razor blade. And, interesting tidbit, a bent wire clip is more expensive to make than a stamped metal clip. Gotta love the Spydies with wire clips!
    You said it... I love Spyderco, the wire clips are really nice, and their knives always come razor sharp.

G-10 are my favorite scales, and Spyderco does such a good job with it. I used to go for the bigger knives, but right now I'm loving my little Dragonfly. Small little knife you don't even know it's there, but holds and cuts like a much bigger knife.

Ok hehe... back to the D10.

Welcome to the clip club, DHart! When I think of DEEP pocket carry, I think of lights like the iTP A series lights whose clips allow the light's tail to ride flush against the top of the pocket. To me, the D10 clip allows for deeper pocket carry when compared to the Quarks you mentioned.
    I forgot to reply to this part and YES, you are so right, the D10 clip isn't DEEP, but it is more like DEEP-er pocket carry!

I had to discover the wonders of clips from starting to carry my knives with them before I could recognize their merits on flashlights. My favorite clips are definitely wire clips.
    Last edited by DHart; 09-22-2010 at 02:28 AM.

Zeruel, please forgive me if this topic has been mentioned already in this awesome thread, but have you considered adding the "ramping bug" issue in early D10s (and EX10s) to your "Issues" section? I know it was a concern of many D10 users, and it's explained rather well in post #253 of this link: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...=201684&page=9
    I've tested all the ramping models; first release Q5, stock Q5, Swissbianco Q5, GD+, R2 (XR-E) and Hybrid R2 (XP-E). The only ones exhibiting this issue are GD+ and Swissbianco Q5, not for the rest. If your model is not one of these 2, that would mean it's a lottery for the early D10s. I've not heard from anyone else having this issue with newer D10s (R2 XR-E & XP-E), so I'm guessing the issue has been fixed.

On another note, whenever I experience ineffective ramping, it's usually because I didn't press the piston down firmly enough.

Will add this to ISSUE.
    Last edited by Zeruel; 09-22-2010 at 10:05 AM.

Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast