Most light from a 2D/2C Mag with LED?

digitaldave

Newly Enlightened
Having been away for a while, I've been out of touch with the latest developments in the LED world. Last I heard, the P7 / MCE were the way to go, but I hear there's a few new LEDs that output a load of light.

I have two Maglite hosts, a 2D and a 2C, either of which I could potentially modify. What's the best way to go to get the most light out the front end? P7, MCE, one of the SST options or one of the new Crees?

I only have 2D or 2C, so whatever option I go for needs to have batteries that can be accommodated in 2D or 2C size, no 3D options. I was looking at Der Wichtel's 3xP7, but that needs a 3D host at least I believe.

I haven't decided if I'll go direct drive or muli-tmode. If I go for a setup with a driver board, then I'll probably go for Der Wichtel's board, as it looks quite good out of the box, without having to do any additional mods.

Thanks,

Dave.

T24

Newly Enlightened
Triple P7 in a 2D is possible, but its not just plug&play.

If you really want max output, DD wouldnt be a good choice.
"Der Wichtel" driver is really amazing, works out of the box very well and has a easy UI.

I stuffed 15 piece Nimh 2/3a 1500mAh into a 2D. It's a bit tricky, cause original switch will not fit any more, and you have to tri-bore, or drill out the tube, but it is possible.

The result is amazing, full triple P7 power in a 2D with approx. 50min runtime on high.