what lights have hotspot/spill free beams, just *even* light?

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
id like to try a light that has a beam that has no hot spot, and no spill, just a one brightness circle (like a cartoon flashlight beam)

anyone know of any lights that can do this?

or close?

$100 or less

:popcorn:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think what you are looking for is a a flashlight that has both an aspherical lens and a focusable head.

For example, the romisen rc-c6 and rc-29 in their loosened modes both have completely smooth outputs.
Im bad at taking pics, but here is a pic of the rc-29 on a white wall and then on my kitchen:

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/4025/rc29wall.jpg
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6025/rc29kitchen.jpg

I only bought the basic version from kaidomain, I recommend getting one of the upgraded versions from shiningbeam.com, I really wish I had because I love this light so much.

I think you will get a similar kind of output out of a maglite with an led drop in or one of the zoom to flood lights off of dx.

You can also almost get something like this from a fenix e20, but its not as smooth, it does have the added versatility though of being able produce a candle mode and a more standard mode as well. The rc-29 when fully focused can throw like crazy, but has a weird looking beam profile.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the zebralight is a good choice too. You can get a similar output from the fenix E20 in candle mode.

Is the duracell daylite really perfectly smooth in flood mode? I was interested in this light for a while, but I read that the focusing head didnt do much.

mfm

Enlightened
I only bought the basic version from kaidomain, I recommend getting one of the upgraded versions from shiningbeam.com, I really wish I had because I love this light so much.
Only the driver is different, 30% light increase, with a probable 30% increase in current draw.

But yes, I can recommend the RC-29 too.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, does that mean the shiningbeam version has a shorter runtime then? I might be happier then with the KD version, it is plenty bright and I wouldn't want any less runtime.

They have a neutral white version too.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova X5. It has 5 LEDs and is powered by two CR123A batteries. Sold at Target and other stores. Not a thrower.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
The VersaTi ET10 has no reflector and it puts out an even and wide circle of light:

23ligbm.jpg

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralights is mentioned, than you have LedLensers lights for example P7 and P14 with the beam at wide setting. Also Tiablo A9 and Itp-C6 provide an even beam with heads removed. But I suppose that isn't recommended because of getting dust on the LED and reflector...

Regards, Patric

Ian2381

Enlightened
The VersaTi ET10 has no reflector and it puts out an even and wide circle of light:

23ligbm.jpg

Where can I get this kind of light?

I think this will be great in my Flashlight headband:grin2:

I just ordered a Quark Mini AA for my headband since many reviews this a flood light.:twothumbs

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where can I get this kind of light?

I think this will be great in my Flashlight headband:grin2:

I just ordered a Quark Mini AA for my headband since many reviews this a flood light.:twothumbs

I don't consider the Quarks, even the minis, to be floody lights. Yes, they throw a wide beam but they have a large intensity difference between spot and spill which to my mind makes them throwers. Rather, I'd say the NiteCores are floodier because while they have a smaller beam spread, the intensity difference between spot and spill is much less than for the Quarks. I find this to be a much more usable beam pattern.

I'm probably committing some kind of heresy for saying this here, but just MHO. Don't get me wrong, my Quarks are great lights but definitely not "floody" lights in my opinion.