TerraLUX TLE-5EX and Nite Ize IQ Switch on the way

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
for my 2AA mini maglite (camo :)). Is there anything i need to know before installing it? How do these two things rate with you guys? I saw a picture and the reflector that comes with the LED doesn't look all that impressive. I bet it gets pretty hot, will it burn out? Any helpful information welcome.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I don't have the TLE-5EX (just the TLE-5 or TLE-20) but I do have several IQ switches. The major thing I don't like about them is that they start becoming flaky when the total battery voltage gets down to 2.6 volts. :shakehead The light won't turn on. The light turns on but won't turn off. You can't change brightness levels and so on. The batteries still have a lot of mAh left in them. I switched (pun intended) to lithium (L91s) batteries and the IQ switches seem to be taking the extra voltage well. None of them have died yet and they have been in the flashlight about months or so. The IQ switch should work until end of life of the L91's. I would be concerned that the IQ switch can handle the current draw of the 5EX.

I put a slightly larger o-ring (we have a lot of different sizes at work) so that the focus stays where I want it, but can still change the it if need be. I can still turn the flashlight & IQ switch completey off if I plan on letting the flashlight sit unused for a while.

NWdude83

Newly Enlightened
Dont even bother getting your hopes up for 140 lumens. But who knows maybe mine was defective, or they packaged the wrong LED in the right packaging. :thinking:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
The main thing that I don't like about the IQ switch is that there is not enough difference between high and low. That and the PWM :eek:

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have the Nite Ize IQ switch but I do have the Terralux TLE-5EX in my EDC MiniMaglite 2 AA. As with just about any flashlight output rating from any manufacturer, ignore Terralux's 140 lumen rating. It's nowhere near that, but it is the brightest and best widely available drop in upgrade for MiniMaglites.

You're right, it has no heat sinking whatsoever. You just can't dissipate heat through the original Maglite black plastic "Do Not Remove" bulb holder. The TLE-5EX will drop its light output so that it will not overheat though. I've used mine for just over an hour without any overheating problems like permanent LED damage.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
I dont think ive used a flashlight more than 5 minutes at a time lol. Did i make a bad choice on what i bought? Will he niteize work with it? What kind of batteries should i use? Should i "heatsink" the dropin?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm...I can't help with the use of the IQ switch with the TLE-5EX because my MiniMaglite has the Terralux TCS-1 tail cap switch.

As far as drop in LED bulb upgrades, you made the best choice that is widely available. There are CPF members that have made incredible custom LED upgrades to their 2 AA MiniMaglites but they all required a bit of work to get those results. As far as easy 5 minute upgrades, the TLE-5EX cannot be beat in my opinion. Seriously, that's as long as it takes. It takes longer to open the Terralux package than it does to actually put the TLE-5EX into the MiniMaglite.

I don't think that the TLE-5EX can be used with an aftermarket heat sink because it was designed to only be used with the original Maglite "Do Not Remove" bulb holder. I'll leave that to other more experienced MiniMaglite modders to address though since I never even attempted a heat sink modification to mine.

As for batteries, I use the Duracell relabeled Sanyo Eneloop AA cells that are commonly referred to here as "Duraloops" in my upgraded MiniMaglite. I don't notice a performance advantage (increased light output) to them compared to ordinary Duracell alkaline batteries like in my Fenix TK40, but I use them exclusively in my MiniMaglite (and all of my EDC lights) simply because they never leak. Alkaline batteries are notorious for leaking at any time, even when brand new, so I never mess with them in any lights (or any other electronic equipment) that I care for.

Light performance-wise, I do not notice an improvement when using Duraloops to power my TLE-5EX compared to Duracell alkaline batteries. At least that's based on my own eyes.

dodge_911

Newly Enlightened
I own 3 IQ switches AND a TLE-5EX...
They work well together, but i've also experienced all the little niggles mentioned above about the IQ switch.

I'm not using my minimags very much any more, I've got some ITP lights instead for those jobs, but they're still my backuplights in my photobags...

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
I mainly use plain old energizers in my flashlights. The stuff should be here in a few days. Should I keep the switch off and just use the drop in?

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should I keep the switch off and just use the drop in?

I would use it because you paid for it. There's no reason to buy uit just to have it collect dust. Keep in mind though that the IQ switch will add electrical resistance to the original stock Mini Maglite circuit, so the LED bulb theoretically will not be as bright with it in use. I don't know if you will actually notice a difference with your eyes in terms of light output though.

Somewhere on CPF someone actually measured the resistance of various Mini-Maglite tailcap switches and posted the results. One of the reasons why I chose the TCS-1 was because it had the lowest resistance. I cannot tell with my eyes if there is any decrease in my TLE-5EX's output with it in the circuit.

After all your new Mini-Maglite stuff arrives, please post here with the results and your thoughts/opinions.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
I sure will. that dissapoints me because i saw the terraLUX tailcap for 2$ cheaper than the IQ switch. I'll try it off and on and see if i can tell a difference.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
TerraLUX TLE-5EX Help

I just got one for my mini maglite and it doesn't really have a spot to flood, its a mix of both. How do i fix this?

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
Re: TerraLUX TLE-5EX Help

And i was also told using the iq switch from niteize with it will dull down the brightness. Truth or...? Oh, and the head doesn't seat down as far as the original one. Help please!

DM51

Flashaholic

I'm merging this with your existing thread - you didn't need to start a 2nd one.

LittleBill

Newly Enlightened

I just got one for my mini maglite and it doesn't really have a spot to flood, its a mix of both. How do i fix this?

what do you mean there is no mix? i mean this is pretty hard to screw up, you changed the reflector and the led correct?

mine is perfect for what it is, mine still does a decent amount of flood, is a ton brighter and handles falls a ton better.

i feel it was completely worth it

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I received a free TLE-5EX replacement after the one I had broke. There seemed to be a design flaw which allowed the head assembly to sort of guillotine the connections on the LED board. The new TLE-5EX has been redesigned to prevent such damage. Unfortunately, unlike the incandescent bulb used in the original MiniMag, the LED does not allow for much flood to spot adjustment, you just find one focus and leave it alone! All said and done, for the cost of the Terralux TLE-5EX and tailcap switch, you could purchase a far superior multifunction LED flashlight. My UltraFire C3 can punch holes in the MinMag, far greater light output, run times and three levels of brightness. I can use standard or NIMH AA's, or a 14500 rechargeable lithium. I just did not find the conversion on my MiniMag worth the cost.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened

what do you mean there is no mix? i mean this is pretty hard to screw up, you changed the reflector and the led correct?

mine is perfect for what it is, mine still does a decent amount of flood, is a ton brighter and handles falls a ton better.

i feel it was completely worth it
What i mean is, it's not as tight of a spot like my lumastar 1w LED or the stock incan. It also doesn't seem to go as far. The IQ switch doesn't see to dull it any, can anybody argue with that? I'm a flashlight noob... any other tips or hints are greatly appreciated. Oh, and the cardboard packaging i got with the LED has a date of 2008 on it, is this the newest one?