Portable worklight for 4x4 WIP

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
Hi,
a mate who's been impressed with the torch I got him asked me whether I could knock up a cheap light that he wouldn't have to use a generator with. He has an old landrover and now has a trailer (we made from scrap a few weeks ago) to go with it that he's using to pickup and deliver logs mainly. So the deal is, he gets a worklight and I get logs for my woodburner and don't freeze my knackers off this winter :D
Please excuse the self tappers but I haven't got access to a Tig welder anymore and I wouldn't trust glueing it, each screw has a blob of threadlock on just incase. I'll strengthen the bends and figure a way of protecting the leds before he has it too.
I'm also short of 2 Carlco 1014 wide frosted optics too :shakehead Rosie at Cutter kindly sent me 2 to make up the difference for R4's instead of the R5's I ordered so I could get my hands on them faster. I didn't know how they'd work out as I've never used those types before, wish I had now! Where the hell do you get Carlco optics they make in the uk? Australia is a bit far really!

CIMG2631Medium.jpg

CIMG2632Medium.jpg

CIMG2634Medium.jpg

CIMG2638Medium.jpg

CIMG2637Medium.jpg

I think I'll add a capacitor to the input just incase and make a free standing base. I've already run one of the drivers for 5 hours straight at 12v with no heatsinking so hopefully they'll survive a while now they are stuck to the back of the sinks with thermal glue and potted in fastglass resin. They should put up with the engine running too?
All in it's drawing 16 Watts so it should run for a while off a battery for a 2.5 litre diesel :)

Cost
4 R4's roughly £20 with postage
Heatsinks $8
Drivers $8
Landing net pole £6
Screws and bolts leftover from other stuff
Aluminium angle leftover from kitchen cabinets
1.5mm 2 core round flex cut off something or other a while ago
Ciggy lighter attachment off a friends dead inverter
Plastic rings for potting cut from milk bottle tops
10mm thread with hole in from a dead desk lamp.

Just hope it does the job :)

Paul.