Cheap Light Advice

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
My friend who wouldn't appreciate quality, but needs a really, really bright light. Size doesn't matter, at least that what he says.

I am looking for something under $50 with a fully driven P7. It needs some throw, but beam quality is not an issue. It needs to have high, low and strobe. I want protected rechargeable, single cell. I don't want him to have to worry about mismatched cells. I will buy the protected battery.

Any cheap and easy P7 m@glite mod?

I went to DX and found sku 24974 & 28687. Any opinions?

If anyone has any other recommendations, please tell me.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd say go to shiningbeam and take a look at his MC-E lights, may be a few dollars more than DX or other such places but Bryan (from Shiningbeam) sells quality budget lights.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
sol-leks - I am NOT for DX lights. But with my friend's absurd price and output requirements, it almost becomes necessary. Thnaks for the MTE brand recommendation.

hyperloop - Thanks, I will check out shiningbeam.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
hyperloop - I checked out shiningbeam and the prices are low but so is the brightness. I need P7 or MC-E brightness. I just figured a P7 would be cheaper.

Now I don't care if someone recommends a 6D maglite, because my friend said that size wasn't an issue.

If I get no answer I will have to go to DX and get sku 22567, which is an MTE brand as sol-leks recommended.
So PLEASE help me find a quality solution.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If you end up with DX, Aurora and/or Spiderfire operating on single 18650 only ( i.e. DON'T select model which also work on 2 CR123) will be your best bet. In general, those two brands have better reviews than MTE or Ultrafire P7/MCE lights.

- Vikas

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, i do have this MC-E drop in which seems to suit your needs (hi-lo-strobe) which i am using in a Solarforce L2M.

It can only run off 1x18650 and based on your budget requirements, the host and module come in just below $50 if my mental math isnt too far off :D

The drop in is very floody and has a pretty decent hotspot too.

EDIT: if push really comes to shove, then i'd go for an MTE light

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Aurora brand flashlights.
If you end up with DX, Aurora and/or Spiderfire operating on single 18650 only ( i.e. DON'T select model which also work on 2 CR123) will be your best bet. In general, those two brands have better reviews than MTE or Ultrafire P7/MCE lights.

- Vikas

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

- Vikas

For DX lights, luck plays a part. I ordered a thrower, Aurora WF-600 and it has some slight issues, possibly connection issues as sometimes the light doesnt light up and a little percussive maintenance is required (whack the head).

I dont own a soldering iron so disassembling the head to fix it is not an option for me but it doesnt happen often so no big deal. The light does throw incredibly far though.

awid

Newly Enlightened
I know that the SpiderFire is ridiculously bright, direct driven and runs on 1 18650.

One of the smallest models with a P7.

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I have that MC-E drop-in but be aware that it is not "fully-driven". I have it installed in one of the smallest DYI 18650 shell sold by DX. It is a great light to be kept in my winter jacket but as far as impressing other people (or myself) it came little short. Also most people (but not me) go "wow" on throw, not with the spill, so R2 based light will be more appreciated by your friend and would be cheaper for you too.

- Vikas

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
Get the MTE Lights with 5-Modes from DX or from www.mteccd.com
I sold over 40 of these and there are no big issues on these. Sometimes a bit of flickering, then you just need to tighten the switch or the pill and thats all it takes.

AlexLED

Enlightened
I went to DX and found sku 24974

I just received my 24974.

Nice build quality but by far no 700lm, maybe around 350lm.
My shiningbeam MC-E is far brighter !

No surprise, since the 24974 (Trustfire P7-F1) only draws 1.15 A in high, equivalent to about 2W.

The nice thing about the lamp (from a perspective of a novice ;) ) is that it comes with a charger and the cell can be charged inside the light.

Last edited:

AlexLED

Enlightened
Hi Aficionado,
the beam is rather floody: at 3 ft. you already have a 6ft diameter spill.
The hot spot is quite smooth, as seen on the DX website.
At 20ft. the hotspot is about 4 ft diameter.
I'll try to post some beamshoots in the next days. (And certainly some more pix of the light. :) )

Latest posts