Help Deciding

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I just made my first purchase of some higher power LED lights today, and am already looking for another. The two that I purchased are:
- a Lightstar 220, because it was cheap and I wanted something to give me a sense of what I am getting in to, brightness wise.
- an iTP A3 EOS, because I like the idea of having a small AAA flashlight as an EDC light, and it was also well priced.

Now I am already looking at the Fenix PD30+ and the EagleTac T100C2 MK2. I am open for ideas. The main things I am looking for are:
- Quality
- Good regulation
- Price < $70
- Fairly small form factor
- Simple UI (Don't like or need strobes and flashes)
- Powerful (+200 lumens)
- Good mix of throw and spill
- Would like forward clicky tail switch

I would be using this light as a main light for household tasks and spotlighting things in my yard. I am leaning toward the EagleTac because it has everything I am looking for, but is a little larger than I was hoping for. I love the form of the PD30, but I don't know about all of those (6) modes and the lack of a forward clicky.

Please offer suggestions of these or others. Thank you.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its seems you already have the advantage and disadvantage's of the two lights work out so you really may have to buy both.

The PD30 would be better around the house with its multiple outputs but the MK2 would be better at spotting things in your yard, however the R2 PD30+ should throw plenty far enough to do the job depending how large the yard. Think I'd go with PD30+ for your intended use.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Hello AlphaZen

One of the most important differences between those 2 lights in my view, is the rechargeable options. The T100C2 is a more rechargeable friendly light in that it will fit and run very well on a single 18650 size li-ion rechargeable cell... Rechargeable options for the PD30 are going to be far less impressive when total stored energy is compared.

I think you may want to evaluate how heavily you think the light may get used over the long haul. Even for those who aren't super-heavy users, rechargeable options have their advantages; like always being topped up with a full charge ready to go any time you want.

Assuming you aren't interested in the 18650 compatibility, I would be comparing the PD30 to lights like the P20C2/P10C2/P100C2 series, which are all going to be slimmer in size, more comparable to the PD30 (which I assume is probably a hair smaller yet). The T series at EagleTac is beefier by a fair margin, designed for rugged applications.

The P20C2 has more appropriately separated output modes than the PD30. More than double the runtime on a lower low setting means more emergency lighting from a pair of cells. Also, the highest output is going to be a hair brighter (not that important as they are in the same general class of output from what I understand)... Worth looking into IMO, no brainer if it were up to me.

It appears that you are new here with us at CPF so I figured I'd do a little constructive rambling if you don't mind ;) (Welcome to CPF BTW!)

Off Topic a bit: output mode separation is an area that a lot of flashlights really drop the ball on in my opinion, EagleTac has really addressed this pitfall in pretty much everything they make. Our eyes see differences in light in a logarithmic fashion. In order to see what looks like a logical "step" brighter, one must double the output or more. I like to see mode separations that are at least 2-3 fold or better per level. For example: Going from 35 to 55 to 75 lumens in 3 separate modes is a total waste of effort as all 3 modes are going to be in the same "ballpark" of light as far as the way the eyes will see and use it. Going from say, 5 to 25 to 125 would be far more useful as each mode would be very distinguishable and useful for particular tasks. EagleTac has chosen a "general" mode on most of their units that is around that 50-75 lumen ballpark, that runs for a really long time (10+ hours on most of the 2xCR123/1x18650 options). That ballpark lumen range is sort-of the intro arena into tactical performance illumination and in my mind, represents a logical mode option.

You can extrapolate from what I have said above more important information: Buying a new flashlight in hopes of seeing a huge lumen-performance gain is often a big let down unless the gain is literally a multiple of the light to be bested. For example; if someone were to have bought a decent tactical cree based light a year or 2 ago, they would be somewhere around that 150-200 lumen territory, buying the most modern version of a similar light today might get one up in the 250+ lumen range, but the difference would be hard to even see unless compared side by side. To see meaningful gains, a jump up to a quad-die emitter pumping ~500+ torch lumens would be necessary. Think of lumens in terms of large ballpark figures. Provided other variables remain constant (like beam focus and color temp), a 150 lumen light and a 250 lumen light are both going to be about the same usefulness in most applications. However, staying within the same lumen class, but making a substantial change in the reflector can actually generate much more noticeable and tangible differences. Like a small textured reflector in something like the PD30 vs say, a 2" or larger diameter reflector that has a mirror (non-textured) reflector. The same LED might be present in both reflectors, but the larger smooth reflector will project useful illumination on targets at much further ranges. The thrower class of lights is obviously more of a niche product and not so great for general purpose utility....

Ok, nuff rambling, best of luck in your decision!

-Eric

Last edited:

AlphaZen

Enlightened
The P20C2 has more appropriately separated output modes than the PD30. More than double the runtime on a lower low setting means more emergency lighting from a pair of cells. Also, the highest output is going to be a hair brighter (not that important as they are in the same general class of output from what I understand)... Worth looking into IMO, no brainer if it were up to me.
That looks like pretty much exactly what I am looking for.

Thank you everyone for your help and input. This is by far the most mature and helpful group of forum members I have ever been a part of.

I went through Battery Junction for my first two lights, but I don't believe they carry EagleTac. Any advice on who to go through if I decide I "need" another light.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
jhc37013,
Thank you for your help. With mdocod's suggestion of the P20C2, I am now debating that and the PD30 R2. I noticed in your flashlight collection that you own both lights. Would you be so kind as to compare them for brightness, throw, quality, feel in the hand, etc. Also, I read in SelfBuilt's review of the P20C2 that the strobe can be a bit of a bother, by activating it on accident. Do you have any input on that? Thanks again.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes no problem, the P20C2 feels wonderful in the hand its a bit larger then the PD30 but I feel the P20 is well balanced and feels strongly built in the hand. My P20C2 like my P100C2 and T100C2 has a nice white beam tint but the PD30 R2 isn't bad either.

Comparing the two the PD30 has a slightly wider spill and spill seems a tad bit brighter on the P20C2. Both throw pretty well for the size but the P20C2 does out throw the PD30, not by a lot but it does.

You do have to take size into consideration while both are easily carried in the holster the overall package with the holster will be larger with the P20. As for the strobe if you have the P20 turned on and turn off and then back on again within 3-4 seconds it will come on in strobe mode, if you leave it off for more than 3-4 seconds it will come on in regular mode. If you tighten or loosen the head while off it will come on in that mode, loose for general mode and tighten for high.

Their is a low mode activated by twisting the head back and forth rapidly, however it will not remember the low mode it will come back on in general or high mode depending if you have the head loose or tight.

They are both really good lights and it's tough to pick just one or even recommend one over the other. I would say if you want a little more throw and not bothered by the extra size and only use a couple modes and if you think the strobe function will not irritate you then maybe get the P20C2.

However if you want a smaller light with quicker access to multiple modes via the reverse clicky then go for the PD30. Good luck I hope that helps.

strinq

Enlightened
Hmmm, Seems like the Quark 123x2 Tactical would be a pretty good option for you also. Set the 2 modes that you want and all your criteria is pretty much fulfilled.

mdocod

Flashaholic
After looking more closely at your objectives, and considering that you are looking for a simple UI (which, IMO, is important!), the P100C2 looks better than the P20C2. You do loose the ultra-low mode, however, you also rid yourself of that pesky strobe option. It's a tough tradeoff IMO. If I had to choose just 1 flashlight of those 2 eagles I would go with the P20C2 for the higher high and low output option, but if this was more purpose specific, eliminating complication would be moved to the forefront, where a simple bezel twist changes between 2 modes.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
jhc37013,
Thank you for your comparison. That was informative.

string,
Thank you for introducing the Quark 123x2. It looks like an interesting option, with the programmable UI. I just watched a video on their website about it and I think it is very innovative. Something about the aesthetics does not appeal to me, but it seems to meet my requirements and will help make a tough decision tougher.

mdocod,
The P100C2 looks like another good option, but I think I like the P20C2 better, for the higher high and lower low. And I like the look of it better.

I am pretty set on the PD30 R2 or the P20C2. Thank you for the help guys - I will let you know what decision I make.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Hmmm, Seems like the Quark 123x2 Tactical would be a pretty good option for you also. Set the 2 modes that you want and all your criteria is pretty much fulfilled.

+1. I have one running an AW 17670 protected and is my most often used light.

What is the beam profile like on that Quark? I am scared it is going to look like a floodlight, based on the beamshots I have seen. I would rather have something with a fairly tight beam.

pobox1475, I didn't give this one much of a look when you first recommended it, because it didn't have a forward clicky. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quarks with the R5 is floody with medium range(and kinda minty green tint), if you want more throw and want a Quark get the R2 led model.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
The Quarks with the R5 is floody with medium range(and kinda minty green tint), if you want more throw and want a Quark get the R2 led model.

Wow, I just saw you have both of those in your collection as well. That's a good bit of information and I see they have the R2's on clearance at 4-7's. This is becoming an instance of paralysis by analysis for me, but it sure is fun exploring my options.

My ITP A3 EOS and Terralux Lightstar220 came in the mail yesterday. I am amazed by the ITP. It is going to be a very handy light to have with me all of the time. Smaller than my Burt's Bees chapstick, which is my current EDC. :grin2: The Lightstar is very bright on high, with a rather wide beam. The batteries rattle a bit in it and taking the clip off scratched it, but I got it as a beater light anyway. It will be a perfect utility light to keep in my kitchen drawer with the tape measure, hammer, scissors, screw driver, etc.

You would think that receiving these two lights would curb my appetite for a new light, but it has just made me that much more excited to get a nice, high quality light that fits perfectly in the palm of my hand.

pobox1475

Enlightened
Quarks have a wide floody beam with a nice hot spot IMO. A JetBeam will probably be more to your liking if you want a narrower throwy beam.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
I know it's above my price range, but what do you guys think about the JETBeam RRT-0? I have been drooling over this light all weekend.

pobox1475

Enlightened
If I was looking to get one would wait for some of the dust to settle. Heard from unhappy campers on that one. A little portly as an EDC IMHO, especially with the AA/14500 extender in place. Clip is really poor in design and execution. I have a RRT-2 so have no doubt the 0 will be a solid reliable light in the not so distant future.

AlphaZen

Enlightened
If I was looking to get one would wait for some of the dust to settle. Heard from unhappy campers on that one. A little portly as an EDC IMHO, especially with the AA/14500 extender in place. Clip is really poor in design and execution. I have a RRT-2 so have no doubt the 0 will be a solid reliable light in the not so distant future.

Yes, I read about the pre-flash issues and problems with the primaries, if that is what you are referring to. It is my understanding that those issues have been addressed in the second run of lights, but I am not sure if the clip has been addressed and you are probably right to be patient to let JetBeam work the kinks out. Thank you for the input - much appreciated.

pobox1475

Enlightened
One last thought. If intending on running AA/14500 then the Jet Pro-I v3.0 makes a lot of sense. Easier to carry and has basically the same high output but sacrificing some low levels. Better value too IMHO.

Latest posts