What is the brightest 4 cell PR bulb?

zmoz

Enlightened
Right now I have a 3 cell mag bulb running in a 4 cell light. Very bright...although I don't think the bulb will last long. Is there anything brighter available? Or are there any designed for 4 cells that would be just as bright?

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well,

You could try the Mag XenonStar.

Or the Carley 714 XenonStar or 607/8/9 KryptonStar 4-cell bulbs for rechargeables. I don't know if the 607-609 would pull too much current out of a set of alkies at up to 1.7A though. You could get into built bulbs, but that's a whole world of complication and cost.

I'm not familiar with the UK or PT bulbs but someone else might have suggestions for you there.

Wilkey

arioch

Enlightened
You might also consider a 6V halogen bulb.

I have tried the 6V Maglite MagnumStar Xenon bulb and the Radio Shack 6V Xenon bulb, and was not impressed with either. The overdriven 4.5V krypton bulb was brighter and whiter.

Other members here have reported better results with the xenon bulbs, though, so you might as well try it.

There are also led products by Everled and others that offer PR based multiple led bulbs for different sized Maglites.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

zmoz

Enlightened
The mag xenon star's are brighter than the regular mag bulbs right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Do you think a 4 cell xenon star would be about as bright as a regular 3 cell mag bulb on 4 cells?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a smattering of experience in this.

The M*g Xenon Star in a stock M*g reflector will make a VERY tightly focused beam... way too tight for my taste.

I have a 3D M*g with 4C and up until a couple days ago a KPR103. Then I flashed the 103 in the light, and another immediately upon hitting the switch. So for now I have just a 4 cell bulb in it.

I had a KPR103 in my PT 40 and it was a WOW light. Then it flashed. So I put a Xenon Star 4cell bulb in my PT and find it to be not THAT much less bright, and still a very good beam in the PT textured reflector.

I thought driving a 3cell bulb with 4 was the first reasonable overdrive level, but have been proved wrong.

So I guess to answer your question, as long as you aren't using it in a M*g, you may find the Xenon bright enough. Or if you like a pencil thin beam, use it in a M*g.

dw_1984

Newly Enlightened
What would be a good bright solution for a 4D Mag running alkys? I bought a couple of those 3 cell Radio Shack bulbs. They're rated 3.6V 500mA. I didn't realize there were alkalines in the 4D Mag. Whoops...one bright flash and it was over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Going to go back and get another bulb. I'm just wondering which one. If my memeory serves me correct, there is a 4.5V Krypton, 6V Krypton and a more pricey 6v Halogen. Any suggestions? Looking for a BRIGHT beam with good beam quality (aren't we all? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

Daniel

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm running RadioShack XPR-103s in a Tec40 and a modded Solo (4 AAs) on Nimhs. I have over 10 hours on the bulb in the Tec 40 and I think I will see a good portion of the 40 hours that RadioShack rates the bulb life at. I don't know if these bulbs would fair as well on alkalines but I measure 1.47 volts on the Nimhs when they're fully charged. At $1.89, the XPR-103 may be worth a try (#272-1182).

Dan

Wylie

Enlightened
I must have missed this post. I just put a KPR 103 in my Responder and I liked the results. Could you let me know what you get out of the XPR PercaDan?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Three times I have hit a M*g Xenon with one extra cell (ie: 4C instead of 3D) and had a flsh each and every time.

4D Alkalines would (I imagine) cook a 3.6V bulb possibly faster than the eye could see!

As I popped two KPR103 with 4C, I am right now running the light with a KPR113 to run the batteries down a bit. Because I REALLY liked the beam with a 3.6V bulb! (and Writeright to clean up the otherwise blotchy M*g beam). So taking the edge off the Rayovacs should let me run the 103 okay.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
For soem reason the R/S bulbs that came in their 3C lights took well to four cells, got one running in a Sears Dorcy-knockoff (the one with the 4AA carrier) right now, also another in an ArcWhite, both going strong over several months of intermittent use now.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a theory about flashing my bulbs.

As any battery (except a TOTALLY dead on) sits unused, it regenerates to a point. If they were never drawn down much, and the light sits a while, quite a bit of power wacks it.

Not at all sure how to combat it. Seems like just when I'll need it the most, any overdriven light could flash.

But I sure like the way my 3D with 4C drives a KPR103!

arioch

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:

Three times I have hit a M*g Xenon with one extra cell (ie: 4C instead of 3D) and had a flsh each and every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I recall reading somewhere on this forum that Xenon bulbs do not take well to being overdriven. Immediate flashing seemed to have been the common result for xenons. At $4 a pop (no pun intended /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ), I don't really want to try it myself.

I do use overdriven krypton bulbs (3 cell bulb in my 4C Maglite, and 5 cell bulb in a 2C Maglite w/ 3x123 lithiums). It does cause the bulb to flash out after some time, and shortens its overall life (as opposed to normal use), but at $1.70 for a Rayovac 2 pack of kryptons at WallyWorld, the brighter output is worth it (to me).

And besides, whenever one of my lights experiences a flash out, I ALWAYS have another one handy! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
There is truth to your words oh wise one!

Yes, I always have backup. But when we are talking 3D with 4C, or even 2C with 4x123 lith the backup is liable to be an ARC AAA. Not exactly anywhere NEAR parity.

But what the heck... it's ALL fun!!!!