Engineer flashlight - close and far

dloesche

Newly Enlightened
I am a network engineer and need to see up close as well as far away. I am interested in a flashlight with the following requirements:

1. multiple settings (say 5, 10, 15, 20 lums before going to high)
2. stand on end (candle more)
3. not sure about CR123A or AA batteries but would like rechargeable options that are simple and not need montoring (set and forget).
4. 3 to 5 in length.
5. solid make with ability to take a small fall (say 6 feet to concret).

So far I like the the 4Seven, Fenix, and EagleTac (versions depend on options but none have all the above).

Anyone else in this boat?

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

There may be something out there that meets all your specs, but why compromise on one light when two separate lights might be better. I'm always reminded of Sesame Street, Bert and Ernie, and Near and Far.

Jackscrj

Newly Enlightened
Maybe the 4sevens Quark aa2 gives you moonlight 4lum then 22
moonlight is cool

then get some eneloops or duracell rechargeable nimh with white tops most likely rebranded eneloops

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
Hi dloesche :welcome:,

Take a look at Novatac or Ra Lights. They fit all your requirements. As a techie, you'll love the UI.

I am a network engineer and need to see up close as well as far away. I am interested in a flashlight with the following requirements:

3. not sure about CR123A or AA batteries but would like rechargeable options that are simple and not need montoring (set and forget).
4. 3 to 5 in length.

So far I like the the 4Seven, Fenix, and EagleTac (versions depend on options but none have all the above).

1. 4 preset levels set by the user, from very low to max (which is between 120-170 lumens depending on model)
2. Both have the option of a flush button for tail-standing.
3. Both use CR123 or RCR123. NT is introducing a 2xAA version.
4. NT=3.3", Ra=3.85"
5. Both are built like tanks. I have dropped my NT 120P more times than I can count on tile floors, concrete, ice, snow, water, etc.

I have never handled an Ra, but they are made by Henry, who was the original designer of the NT line.

Two other features which are invaluable to me are the button lock out and automatic shut off, which are among the other features you can program.

If you search either one here, you will find plenty of good reviews, as well as many other recommendations.

Hope this helps,

Rich

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

4. 3 to 5 in length.

Why not get 2 lights?

A headlamp: Zebralight H501 (or H501W for a warmer tint) for close up work. Uses 1xAA and has 3 modes

A Fenix TK20: tough as nails, uses 2xAAs and has 2 modes as well.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget about the utility of a good 2XAAA penlight, like one of these Peak Eigers:

P1010605.jpg

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you might like a light with variable brightness, or rather, a light where the user can set their own levels.
I think the photon freedom pro is a light that does this.
The Nitecore D10 also has this, they call it "Unique Infinitely Variable Digitally-controlled Brightness System".

Lastly, I think the Gorillatorch Joby might interest you.This light came up a few times in the last month in this forum. Variable light settings and also magnetic feet for working in all sorts of tight places:
http://joby.com/gorillatorch/

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're looking for one flashlight, buy a "thrower" type, and get a diffuser. An even flood or a spot, depending on your choice..=

Look around for a Duracell rechargable system. For batteries, look for AA's that say Duracell, but have a white ring around the positive contact. These are re-badged Eneloops, and maintain their capacity much better than the Duracell black top batteries.

I would agree that a Ra/Novatac light would be very nice, but depending on where you are, CR123's can be very expensive, unless buying in bulk online. If you like the Novatac line up, look for the "Classic" model, which will use 2 AA's. It comes with three preset levels of output, but if you use the 250 click easter-egg, it becomes a programmable light, and you can select three ouptuts from a pre-set 22 (I think, might be 23).

And get yourself a diffuser. Many of the focusing lights out there are way overpriced for the functions/features/quality/output/runtime department.

LeifUK

Enlightened
This might be useful:

http://www.sliderule.ca/cpf.htm

I chose a 2 AA light for ease of finding batteries and overall performance. Rechargeable batteries are a no brainer, especially since alkalines can leak and destroy an expensive torch, and you might want to look into Low Self Discharge ones such as Sanyo Eneloop and Panasonic Infinium. CR123a batteries seem to hold more power than AAs, but I can't tell you much about them.

Some cheaper options:

• IPT lights.
  • Kingpower K1 and K2.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Quarks and NiteCores. If you want simplicity then go with AA models and use NiMH rechargeables. CR123's will provide more power but are hard to find, expensive, and to my knowledge only Li-ion rechargeables are available, so their versatility is quite limited.

Other than that you should decide whether you want to go with a one or two cell model; basically between size and run time.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Olight I10 or I15 offer infinite brightness control and tail cap standing. There are rechargeable options for both and the difference between the models is CR123A or AA.

Another, slightly less exensive option is the iTP C6/C7/C8/C9 which all offer infinite brightness control. These have been discontinued but are still widely available and at great prices. They do not tail stand.

dloesche

Newly Enlightened
I believe it is now between the Quirk 123^2 and the Olight i10, or 20. If I go with the Quirk I was considering buying different tubes for different apps (single 18650 or single 123). Considering a charge as well - too bad I am so late to the game (the YOHO-122 looked nice). I really like the chargers for the AA and AAA that include digital readouts for charge levels and all sorts of other things - really nice to have one tool for change (correctly and tell you how it's doing - would not be hard to do but go figure).
I looked at many of the other lights (thank you) and just can't bring myself to the cost (however I am still temped in the NiteCore Defender Infinity R2 Edition).
I am started a second job and will see how the funds work out for "toys". Heck - I even consider a Costco deal on MagLite mini and 3 cell LED for $30 today just to hold me over. But I resisted because I am really interested in the higher end (I love my Maglites just wish the upgrades where cheaper - I can't see paying $20 for a LED when I can replace everything and get a mini for $10 more). I hate a throw away attitude but you can't look at facts that it's just not worth it sometimes. I guess I will still upgrade my Maglites and give away my old ones to others without.
I will soon be looking for a charger so if anyone finds a Yoho-122 let me know otherwise I am looking for a good one that does not heat up the batteries like I read about the yoho as well (if possible) does both the 123 and the 18650.

Again - thank you and I need to rest my eyes and brain now - information overload.... Happy New Year to All.:wave:

e-ville

Newly Enlightened
out of all of the lights i own i have used my fenix pd30 the absolute most, because of the size and power its the most handy

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I'll add another vote for a Ra Clicky. I'd suggest checking with either Ra themselves or the seller to make sure you get one that will tail stand.
With a Ra Clicky, you will be able to set the individual (4) brightness levels to whatever works for you. It's also easy to set the light to come on at whatever preset brightness you prefer. There is even the choice of buying a high CRI LED in case you need to carefully take note of color codes on wires! The Ra lights will easily survive drops from much higher than 6 feet to concrete! If you don't mind the price, Ra should be on your short list. FYI, the Ra site is www.ralights.com and I know from personal experience that their customer service is exceptional!