Any production Nichia 083 high CRI lights?

moses

Enlightened
Been reading some postings about high CRI LEDs and looking at sample, the Nichia 083 really is quite amazing. Anyone know of any production Nichia 083 LED flashlights or houselights? There are some beautiful custom work such as McGizmo's but those are priced as custom work - justifiably so. Love to see some production priced units.

M

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would also like to know if there are any.

A sales rep from Nichia said that there's been an overwhelming response to their high CRI 183s, so I'm wondering where they're all going.

Moka

Enlightened
I doubt the high CRI's will make it into production until they improve the output a little...
The High CRI 083 models are a lower Lumen level than the standard 083... and they're lower than a lot of the newer Emitters coming out at the moment...

Would LOVE to see nichia up the ante a little as far as output goes and maintain the High CRI... Would love to see my sundrop put out 100+ Lm of High CRI beauty =P

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The 083 and 183 are multiple die packages and don't lend themselves well to a collimated beam. I think flood type flashlights are still a niche market regardless of how useful I personally find them to be. I would guess that the mass and target markets of most large scale flashlight manufactures is for the most part ignorant if not simply indifferent, to CRI. Should demand ever develop for high CRI, I believe such demand would be met. Same can be said of a flood type flashlight VS a collimated beam flashlight.

It seems to me that the essence of the High CRI Nichia LED's is based on a two part phosphor they use for their high CRI LED offerings. They have data showing the expense in efficacy resulting from the use of these phosphors.

In absolute terms, many of these LED's provide ample flux but ample has a difficult time competing with cheaper and excessive flux.

I find it encouraging that Nichia has seemingly focused on their strength in phosphors and is identifying products as both High CRI and Moderate CRI. They can't seem to compete or catch up with other LED manufacturers in terms of flux and efficacy and perhaps this has encouraged them to identify and target applications where they can provide value in other terms. :shrug:

They do have a single die LED that has good performance and I believe it might be offered in a High CRI version. Perhaps it might be utilized by some of the production light companies.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt the high CRI's will make it into production until they improve the output a little...
The High CRI 083 models are a lower Lumen level than the standard 083... and they're lower than a lot of the newer Emitters coming out at the moment...

Would LOVE to see nichia up the ante a little as far as output goes and maintain the High CRI... Would love to see my sundrop put out 100+ Lm of High CRI beauty =P

What about their high CRI 183s? Top binned versions are at ~200 lumens at 800 mA.

Not shown on their website due to high demand though.

moses

Enlightened
Thanks.

I'll second McGizmo's comment about the usefulness of a even flood. For most daily application which is 'near field' as I call it, a nice even flood beats a concentrated beam in actual use. That's one reason why I still have a Arc LS with a McGizmo reflector from way back when - it basically puts out a very even beam all the way across with a light hotspot. Useful indeed.

M

jblackwood

Enlightened
It's no surprise that custom makers like Don and Elektrolumens make lights that are capable of pure flood such as the Lunasol 20 and EDC-MCE respectively (talk about both ends of the power spectrum!), but what really surprises me is that a more mainstream company like 4sevens (okay, they're not Maglight, but you get the gist) manufactures a floody light like the Quark RGB. I love that light for it's almost perfect flood, neutral tint option, and low cost. The extra colors (red, green, and blue, not ultraviolet) are a bonus. Also, it tailstands!

Maybe we could get 4sevens in on this?!?! A High CRI light that's under $$? I'd be all for it!

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Here's the McGizmo SunDrop ... a light that uses the Nichia 083 LED and produces a perfect warm high CRI flood.

The head is E-Series compatible:

McGizmoSunDrop-3Shead.jpg

Here's the whole light (the right one):

McGTi1.jpg

McGTi2.jpg

And here's a beamshot. It is compared to a Zebralight in those pics. The current SunDrops do have the 083B emitter with almost double the output though.

SD-H30-Photon.jpg

RoomSD-3Shigh.jpg

RoomH30high.jpg

And here's a pic of the 083 in action. You see the 6 dice which means it will be somewhat difficult to focus, except for Don's huge sapphire lens.

Nichia083HighCRI02.jpg

The difference between high and low CRI:

ComicSD-3Smedium.jpg

ComicH30medium.jpg

Perfect flood with this LED and light:

DynamicSD-3Slow.jpg

bernie

moses

Enlightened
Never heard of the Nichia 183 high CRI before. 200 lumens ? That sounds like a dream if it had a beam like Don's Sundrop. Any more info in that?

Bernie, thanks for posting. I really like that even circular flood. my ideal beam for flashlights.

Would be great if 4sevens can do a run of a 1000 using those LEDs.

Moses

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 183s, efficiency varies quite a bit. Lowest bin is C095 with 95-110 lumens at 700 mA, at that stage you'd definitely be better off with one of the high CRI SSC P4s that Tekno_Cowboy did a GB for in the MP, but the top couple of bins (170-185 and 155-170 at 700 mA) are great, giving ~200 and ~185 lumens when driven at their max. rated current of 800 mA. Average Vf is about 3.5 V.

Mike V

Enlightened
It's a shame the colour of these is so warm.

Personally I think these would be a lot better and a lot more useful with a colour temp of 5600 degrees.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Personally I think these would be a lot better and a lot more useful with a colour temp of 5600 degrees.
It's a shame you feel that way, as there are a great number of others who seem to like them just as they are. Maybe it would be better if you just found an emitter with the tint you like instead of trying to change one that is already perfect for it's intended purposes.
There are a great number of cooler emitters available and although I'm not able to give you their number, I'm sure there are quite of few members who could help you out without mucking up this thread about the Nichia 083. :thumbsup:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

The 083 NIchia's I am presently building with have a CCT of 5800 and a CRIa of 96, based on a sample I subjected to my integrating sphere. Obviously there will be deviations and the accuracy of my IS is not certain but Nichia binning is typically pretty tight and in reality, I don't see obvious variation from LED to LED.

I prefer this higher color temperature myself and don't find it cold in appearance because the warmer colors in the target field do reveal their warmth as opposed to being washed with light weak in the warm spectrum; a red object is red.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
They are actually not very warm, only natural. When you look at the beamshots I provided above, the 083 shots are very near to reality whereas the other oare just bluish.